Dash cam with 120fps

A12 has too much heat problems on 1080p 60fps,no mention to 1080p 120fps...:(
The GitUp F1 uses the Ambarella A12 and can record at 1080p60 and 1080p120 without getting too hot. However it does lose some detail through compression at 120fps, so for dashcam use you're still better off using its native 4k resolution at 30fps.
Comparative bitrates:
1080p30 18Mbps
1080p60 35Mbps
1080p120 64Mbps
4K30 66Mbps

Last edited:
According to the A129 Pro Duo manual: https://dashcamtalk.com/cams/a129pro/A129 Pro Duo English Manual.pdf it can do 120fps @ 1080p.

Resolution:
Setting video resolution of footage recorded,
Front Camera Only:
3840 x 2160P 30fps, 2560 x1440P 60fps,
2560 x1440P 30fps, 2304 x1296P 30fps, 1920 x1080P 120fps,
1920 x1080P 60fps, 1920 x1080P 30fps.
Dual Channels: 4K (front camera) + Full HD 30fps (rear camera) ,
1440P 30fps + FHD P30, 1080P 60fps + FHD P30.

Was looking for a 120fps cam too and that seems to fit the bill for me....shame it can't do 120fps @ 2160p though.... Probably will have to buy two, one for front and one for rear...dunno what sort of image quality I would get recording at 120fps though...is the bitrate hard capped at ~20Mbit/s? Will definitely need 4 times that to keep the same quality output...so 80Mbit/s minimum....

zs
High frame rate cameras are intended for slow motion capture and serve no useful purpose for dash cams. Shutter speed will be far more effective in capturing plate numbers than frame rate. Generally speaking 60 fps is considered the top end for "normal" video capture with speeds of 120 fps and above more suited to slow motion video. Even high end cameras costing many thousands of dollars make the distinction between "video modes" and "slow motion modes".

That being said, improvements in technology are bringing the price of high frame rate - high resolution cameras down dramatically. Performance that at one time cost many tens of thousands of dollars is now available for a few thousand dollars.

Soon action cam style cameras that can shoot at extraordinarily high frame rates will be entering the market that cost less than $1000.

Sony is set to release the new RXO on October 17th, a rather amazing 4K action camera, especially considering the price. $699.99 USD!

Video Mode - 1080p @ 60fps

Slow Motion Mode up to 1000 fps @ 1920 x 1080p! Shutter speeds up to 1/32000 per second. One inch Exmor RS sensor!

View attachment 33173

View attachment 33172

"The lightweight Sony RX0 Ultra-Compact Camera offers professional image quality in an action camera–sized form factor. Capable of outputting uncompressed 4K UHD video, it also records up to 1080p60 in-camera at 50 Mb/s in XAVC. A Zeiss 24mm-equivalent f/4.0 lens provides a wide, but not distorted, field-of-view. Its 21MP 1" stacked Exmor RS CMOS sensor produces minimal rolling-shutter artifacts, and is protected by the RX0's waterproof, crushproof, and shockproof body. Use the versatile, diminutive RX0 as a single camera that fits almost anywhere, or for multi-camera recording, timecode-sync up to five cameras. When connected to a Wi-Fi router, greater than five cameras can be synced, suiting the RX0 for concerts, stunts, and other multi-camera applications."

"A 1" Exmor RS CMOS sensor provides extended dynamic range and high-speed readout, even at super-slow motion rates of up to 960/1000 fps. This anti-distortion shutter features speeds up to 1/32000 per second, capable of freezing the action with minimal skew."

Sensor 1 x 1" CMOS
Backside Illumination Yes
Color Filter Bayer
Pixel Gross 21 MP
Effective Pixels 15.3 MP (Video)

Optics
Focal Length 7.7mm
35mm-Equivalent Focal Length 24 - Zeiss Tessar
Maximum Aperture f/4
Lens Elements 6
Minimum Focusing Distance 20.0" / 50.8 cm
Manual and auto-focus modes!

Recording
System NTSC/PAL
Recording Media microSD/HC/XC

Video Format 1920 x 1080p at 24, 25, 30, 50, 60 fps (50 Mbps XAVC S)

Slow Motion Mode
1000 fps Recorded at 1920 x 1080p
960 fps Recorded at 1920 x 1080p
500 fps Recorded at 1920 x 1080p
480 fps Recorded at 1920 x 1080p
250 fps Recorded at 1920 x 1080p
240 fps Recorded at 1920 x 1080p

Still Image Resolution RAW: 21 Megapixel
JPEG: 21 Megapixel

Waterproof down to 33'

https://www.sony.com/electronics/cyber-shot-compact-cameras/dsc-rx0
aw man that looks nice, its been replaced by this one though: https://store.sony.com.au/digitalcamera/DSCRX0M2G.html - think I might get one of these....and have some fun....

Lets not forget.... as dashcams are getting better, our eyes are getting worse!

I expect I'll have surrendered my driving license by the time we have 120fps from 1080p or higher :D
U expected wrong! We have 120fps 1080p cams now!

aw man that looks nice, its been replaced by this one though: https://store.sony.com.au/digitalcamera/DSCRX0M2G.html - think I might get one of these....and have some fun....

The Sony RXO II is indeed an impressive camera but do your homework before you decide to purchase one. There have been numerous reports that the camera becomes excessively hot depending on how it is used. That said, the camera is built like a battleship so that it can handle more heat and other challenges. It is is built like a "real" camera on a machined aluminum chassis similar to the way a professional DSLR is built. By comparison, dash cams and action cameras are merely gadgets built on a plastic housing with a circuit board screwed into it like a Gameboy toy.

Last edited:
The Sony RXO II is indeed an impressive camera but do your homework before you decide to purchase one. There have been numerous reports that the camera becomes excessively hot depending on how it is used. That said, the camera is built like a battleship so that it can handle more heat and other challenges. It is is built like a "real" camera on a machined aluminum chassis similar to the way a professional DSLR is built. By comparison, dash cams and action cameras are merely gadgets built on a plastic housing with a circuit board screwed into it like a Gameboy toy.
...so I should wrap it around with a heatsink and fan to cool it off during my video and photo shoots?

Likely won't help. The 'bottleneck' of heat transfer will be in the camera itself, and you'd need something like active liquid cooling at a high level to do much better. Then it wouldn't be a hand-held camera anymore.

Everyone wants more and wants it now in the form which they want it. Technology cannot yet give us that, so we can only live with the limitations of what we can get for now. In time, our wishes will come true, but by then we will be wanting something even better and again asking why we don't yet have it :whistle:

Phil

Hmm, heat must be pretty bad if it needs to be water cooled for it to be at touchable temperatures without burning yourself...

Happens to the best of them

I think you miss the point. Sure, a high end Canon might get hot when shooting 4K, high frame rate, high bit rate video but a professional "camera" built around a machined magnesium or aluminum chassis won't have its lens permanently go out of focus or end up with a melted housing like a consumer dash cam built with the same basic construction of GameBoy. A Canon will simply cool down and be ready to start filming again with the same performance and zero damage.

The point was about high resolution, all of the 4k cameras overheat, the tech will get there, but it's early days still

Yeah, the article mentions that they opted for no ventilation on the DSLR. And indeed, you want dust and moisture protection on a DSLR. Personally, I'm kind of old school. I believe DSLRs should primarily stick with still imagery and leave high end video to dedicated camcorders that are made to handle 4K resolutions and higher.

Back