Dash cam with 120fps

same here, no law against filming with my dashcamera, the problem only come if i post that footage on say youtube.

But i will keep doing so until a judge tell me not to, and then i will only stop after raising all kinds of hell.

Yeah, publishing is a different matter.

My friend caught a trailer thief on his CCTV last week, the guy was even drunk when the cops stopped him.
And none of the people in the area he live in have no problem with his 3 cameras that film public areas ( one of which are PTZ )

Okay kids do have a problem it seem, when they pass by on the street they finger the cameras.

What is needed is a dashcam that instead of completely deleting video when the card is full it just deletes half the frames so that the existing video takes half the space leaving plenty of space to continue recording without loosing any video, then it could have a month of retention time on a reasonable sized card :) Of course by the time video is a month old it would have had it's frame rate halved many times so would be very low frame rate, but it would still have that car in the gas station on record.

I don't think that's possible because the video would have to be re-edited on the fly... But what would be possible is having two cards, one of that gets data recorded to it at say 2fps and the other recording at 30fps

I just remembered an incident involving my friend. She was at a gas station and there was a teen girl and older man she thought were acting strangely so she called the police, but I think by the time they showed up they were gone. This was a small town. A couple days later she saw on the news that the girl was missing. Had she happened to have a dashcam with a week's worth of retention she would have had documentation that they were there, and could have given it to the police and the media and the girl's family. If she had a dashcam with 2 hours of retention she would have had zero, just like having no dash cam.
Excuse my ignorance but why would anyone "retain" the footage in the card when they can transfer it everyday or every few days to an external disk (where it would be safer than in the card), review it when they have the time and save anything that can potentially be useful? I've done that several times in the past 2.5 years for lots of things not related to traffic (or crime, since it seems to be the topic here) and I'm glad I saved the footage because it came in handy afterwards, some of it many weeks later.
I, for one, just need a card than can "retain" the day's footage and for that 32GB is more than enough.

Excuse my ignorance but why would anyone "retain" the footage in the card when they can transfer it everyday or every few days to an external disk (where it would be safer than in the card), review it when they have the time and save anything that can potentially be useful? I've done that several times in the past 2.5 years for lots of things not related to traffic (or crime, since it seems to be the topic here) and I'm glad I saved the footage because it came in handy afterwards, some of it many weeks later.
I, for one, just need a card than can "retain" the day's footage and for that 32GB is more than enough.

Because you may not realize you need to retain it until days later, in which case the 1 day isn't enough

If you save all your video that would take care of it, but even then the more retention time the less often you have to do the file copy

Because you may not realize you need to retain it until days later, in which case the 1 day isn't enough
Why wouldn't it be enough? The files are transferred daily to the disk and I can leave them there for as long as I want, even if I don't know when or if they'll be needed.

I don't think that's possible because the video would have to be re-edited on the fly... But what would be possible is having two cards, one of that gets data recorded to it at say 2fps and the other recording at 30fps
A lot of cameras already have the ability to generate a second low bitrate stream for the wifi live view and both can be written to different folders on the same card, so that should be doable with just a firmware upgrade :)

Why wouldn't it be enough? The files are transferred daily to the disk and I can leave them there for as long as I want, even if I don't know when or if they'll be needed.

OK let's say your 64GB card fills up every day with the 120fps video. Within a month you've generated 2 terabytes of video. If it was 30fps you'd generate only 500 gigabytes of video in a month. At 10fps you'd have only 160 gigs. Big difference in storage cost

OK let's say your 64GB card fills up every day with the 120fps video. Within a month you've generated 2 terabytes of video. If it was 30fps you'd generate only 500 gigabytes of video in a month. At 10fps you'd have only 160 gigs. Big difference in storage cost
Big difference in how useful the video is too.

For me the PRIMARY function of a dashcam is to record the cars and everything else moving around you, so that in the unfortunate event of an accident you may capture some genuinely useful details to help determine what happened.

I'd rather have my dashcam run at 60fps to record 4 hours of video with a decent chance of getting useful results, than record at 10fps for 24 hours and potentially miss the important details.

EDIT:
I'd rather have my dashcam run at 60fps with a decent chance of getting useful results, than record at 10fps and potentially miss the important details.

Last edited:
I'd rather have my dashcam run at 60fps to record 4 hours of video with a decent chance of getting useful results, than record at 10fps for 24 hours and potentially miss the important details.
at 10fps you're still going to have 4 hours of video, bitrate is what determines how much storage you'll use

at 10fps you're still going to have 4 hours of video, bitrate is what determines how much storage you'll use
Yes ok. I'm up too late again and not thinking straight....

I'm a bit late because @jokiin already said was I was going to say.

You would not want 120fps with the same old 12mbps bitrate, it would be extremely low quality. For the same quality per frame you would want 4x the bitrate of 30fps

You would not want 120fps with the same old 12mbps bitrate, it would be extremely low quality. For the same quality per frame you would want 4x the bitrate of 30fps

what you want and what you get are two different things, low frame rate will only save you space if it's doing timelapse, if it's video the differences will be negligible

what you want and what you get are two different things, low frame rate will only save you space if it's doing timelapse, if it's video the differences will be negligible

If we're talking about 120fps with the same old bitrate, then it's totally pointless even for the stated purpose of capturing more detailed motion information, because it won't. You'd just have a mess of blocky pixellation

If we're talking about 120fps with the same old bitrate, then it's totally pointless even for the stated purpose of capturing more detailed motion information, because it won't. You'd just have a mess of blocky pixellation

you're dealing with hypothetical situations, be that positive or negative

Everything is a part of a system, and the best performance possible is held to where the worst performing part is. Not just cams but with everything. A usable 120fps option would be nice for those who want that, but the average dashcam user does quite well with less. When it's easy and cheap to make a cam do 120fps is when we will see those kinds of cams.

Phil

Just wonder which chipest and sensor combination can support 1080p 60fps/120fps? is it available now?

Well the A12 - the H22 and H2 from ambraealla, off course the sensor also got to support what you want to do.
And it seem like A12 and 1080p /120 do seem to have some problems at least for some platforms.

A12 has too much heat problems on 1080p 60fps,no mention to 1080p 120fps...:(

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Giri43 Dash Cam Discussion 0
T Dash Cam Discussion 0
G Dash Cam Discussion 0
I Dash Cam Discussion 6
B Dash Cam Discussion 6
Back