Dash cam with 120fps

I for one don't trust a 512GB microSD. Maybe if it were full size SD. Even then, I'd do 30fps or less and have 4x the retention

Choice is good. That's why they have different settings on cameras, even the Sony RXO that goes from 24fps all the way up t0 1000fps in eleven interim settings. I know there are some situations I've been in where a higher frame rate would have been very useful, not so much for smooth video but for capturing a rapid succession of individual moments in time. With memory being so cheap today, retention seems a minor issue. Personally, I don't quite get why some people wish to archive huge amounts of mundane dash cam footage, although I understand that some enjoy documenting their vacation travels and the like although one doesn't need high frame rates for that. For me, on a daily basis, I'm more interested in capturing significant events. If nothing happens during a period of several hours I'm more than happy to let the camera record over older footage however the bit rate or frame rate settings may be set.

Choice is good. That's why they have different settings on cameras, even the Sony RXO that goes from 24fps all the way up t0 1000fps in eleven interim settings. I know there are some situations I've been in where a higher frame rate would have been very useful, not so much for smooth video but for capturing a rapid succession of individual moments in time. With memory being so cheap today, retention seems a minor issue. Personally, I don't quite get why some people wish to archive huge amounts of mundane dash cam footage, although I understand that some enjoy documenting their vacation travels and the like although one doesn't need high frame rates for that. For me, on a daily basis, I'm more interested in capturing significant events. If nothing happens during a period of several hours I'm more than happy to let the camera record over older footage however the bit rate or frame rate settings may be set.

The reason is you never know what will be relevant. This may come as a surprise to you but the vast majority of crime occurs along roadways. If you live in a world where all you care about is "someone hitting your car" I can see why you'd be satisfied with an hour of retention

The reason is you never know what will be relevant. This may come as a surprise to you but the vast majority of crime occurs along roadways. If you live in a world where all you care about is "someone hitting your car" I can see why you'd be satisfied with an hour of retention

So you're a crime fighter eh? ;)

No, "someone hitting my car" is not the only reason I have dash cams. In fact, I first became interested in dash cams because I was being harassed and threatened by someone, but I'm not in the impractical business of archiving massive amounts of footage just in case I might discover sometime after the fact that a crime took place that I may or may not have captured somewhere in my travels. My 64GB cards will hold almost 10 hours of footage before recording over older material. Many people like to use bigger capacity cards and that seems fine to me but retaining massive amounts of footage just "in case" something occurred that you may not even know about sounds weird to me. I guess if that's you're pleasure, more power to you though.

So, exactly how much footage do you "retain" hoping to discover something relevant?

Wait! "The vast majority of crime occurs along roadways"? Where do you live that such a phenomenon would be the case?

So you're a crime fighter eh? ;)

No, "someone hitting my car" is not the only reason I have dash cams. In fact, I first became interested in dash cams because I was being harassed and threatened by someone, but I'm not in the impractical business of archiving massive amounts of footage just in case I might discover sometime after the fact that a crime took place that I may or may not have captured somewhere in my travels. My 64GB cards will hold almost 10 hours of footage before recording over older material. Many people like to use bigger capacity cards and that seems fine to me but retaining massive amounts of footage just "in case" something occurred that you may not even know about sounds weird to me. I guess if that's you're pleasure, more power to you though.

So, exactly how much footage do you "retain" hoping to discover something relevant?

On Thanksgiving last year an autistic boy ran away from his house leading to a 2 day search, close to where my brother's house is where I spent Thanksgiving. I happened to drive home right when he would have been walking along the main road. I was able to check my video to see if he was in the area (he wasn't). The point is not to comb through your video looking for crime, but to after the fact have a reference if it's needed. 120fps on a 64GB SD card would be only a couple hours of retention and the video would have been gone by the time I found out about the missing boy.

Working in law enforcement I'm astonished how narrowly focused many people are, to where they only care about what affects them directly and don't see the value in documentation of their surroundings.

Wait! "The vast majority of crime occurs along roadways"? Where do you live that such a phenomenon would be the case?

Are you being serious? Where do you think crime happens, in the middle of nowhere?

Are you being serious? Where do you think crime happens, in the middle of nowhere?

I happen to live in the "middle of nowhere". We have plenty of crime, unfortunately. Not usually by the side of the road however.
If you are in law enforcement it is your prerogative to constantly be scanning for criminal activity. There is no obligation for average citizens to do so. We live in enough of a de facto police state nowadays as it is and average citizens don't need to feel obligated to play amateur detective.

Having said this, if I were to capture a crime or actionable evidence on camera I would certainly act accordingly. It's just that I don't feel I need to archive vast amounts of footage from each journey beyond my typical needs and desires as a citizen.

Last edited:
I'm astonished how narrowly focused many people are

Cant disagree with that, actually i often see people that can barely bother to look out the windscreen more than they look at their phone hidden in the lap.

I would like to think i have a good situational awareness when i drive around, and i also often see stuff that i should call in.
But the problem is that my Country now have so little police or maybe so many things the for the police to do, that even the police acknowledge they have to focus on the serious offenses and let the small stuff slide.
And that is a huge slap to my face, not by the police so much, but the filthy animals that reside in our law-giving assembly.

So far i have only turned in one guy using dashcam evidence, and i had to get media ( TV ) involved before the police bothered to react, and this was a guy that in less than 30 seconds made so many serious traffic offenses that his license just have to go ( we have a system of 3 marks on our licenses here, and only 2 marks if you are 18 - 19 and just gotten your license )

When i was young and dumb i was on the other side calling the police my enemy, which they also where to some degree as i was heavily into just about any form of crime, this have thankfully changed and been so for a long time now.

PS. i dont store any of my footage, so i have to be pretty proactive if i have stuff i want to save.
But i dont drive much so i have about a week before my cameras start to overwrite what has been recorded.

I must admit that when i read the news and something happened in my area, i do think was i driving that day and might i have something, but so far i have not gotten a reason to go over my recordings, but rest assured i will if i think there is just a little chance of me having something on tape.

Last edited:
I just remembered an incident involving my friend. She was at a gas station and there was a teen girl and older man she thought were acting strangely so she called the police, but I think by the time they showed up they were gone. This was a small town. A couple days later she saw on the news that the girl was missing. Had she happened to have a dashcam with a week's worth of retention she would have had documentation that they were there, and could have given it to the police and the media and the girl's family. If she had a dashcam with 2 hours of retention she would have had zero, just like having no dash cam.

I just remembered an incident involving my friend. She was at a gas station and there was a teen girl and older man she thought were acting strangely so she called the police, but I think by the time they showed up they were gone. This was a small town. A couple days later she saw on the news that the girl was missing. Had she happened to have a dashcam with a week's worth of retention she would have had documentation that they were there, and could have given it to the police and the media and the girl's family. If she had a dashcam with 2 hours of retention she would have had zero, just like having no dash cam.

Well, if she called the police didn't she provide a description of the individuals, the make, model, color and perhaps plate number of the car? After all, they were at a gas station and so one might assume they arrived in a motor vehicle. And if they were at a gas station then surely there would have been both inside and outside CCTV video surveillance archived by the service station.

Well, if she called the police didn't she provide a description of the individuals, the make, model, color and perhaps plate number of the car? After all, they were at a gas station and so one might assume they arrived in a motor vehicle. And if they were at a gas station then surely there would have been both inside and outside CCTV video surveillance archived by the service station.

I don't know what information she gave. But what if she didn't call at all? The point is that if you have a dash cam you may not realize you have footage of value until after the fact. You can come up with all kinds of reasoning as to why you don't need more than 2 hours of retention, and much of it applies to even having a dash cam. After all if you're worried about "someone hitting you" won't you be able to remember what car hit you?

More retention time is a good thing to have. 120fps is totally useless.

I don't know what information she gave. But what if she didn't call at all? The point is that if you have a dash cam you may not realize you have footage of value until after the fact. You can come up with all kinds of reasoning as to why you don't need more than 2 hours of retention, and much of it applies to even having a dash cam. After all if you're worried about "someone hitting you" won't you be able to remember what car hit you?

Recording at 15 Mbps onto a 64 GB memory card will give you 10 hours of recording time. That's more than enough to record an entire long day of driving or more. Using "2 hours of retention" in the discussion is a red herring.

Well you have to remember that the dashcams are merely for logging your own driving and what else the camera capture are just a bonus, so with that in mind you dont really need a lot of hours saved cuz if you get into a alteration that's most likely where the recording will stop.
There is no doubt that dashcams also have a value as a investigative tool, but due to their nature it will be hit and miss if it can provide anything of interest.
But never the less it is a thing police should think off, and so if they call for witnesses in some case then maybe also say that anyone in the area driving with a dashcam at the time will have interest.

But otherwise i would put my money on CCTV cameras that do retain data for a long time, i myself also have CCTV at home though i live in a 2 floor apartment and me actually recording public areas are not allowed, but as my friend was told by a judge in court " please dont stop doing that" just know its not actually legal.
And it also come out that when police most often get wiser on a case using CCTV its most often by footage from those illegal CCTV cameras.

That being said and as i also have been saying for a long time, i do look forward to dashcams that use a larger SSD / harddrive for storage, and into which i can just plug in a thumb drive to get footage off it.
But that's mostly me being sick and tired of the damn little micro SD cards, and the fact that it is a pretty expensive storage form compared to SSD hard drives where i can get double the storage space for the same price.

Last edited:
Recording at 15 Mbps onto a 64 GB memory card will give you 10 hours of recording time. That's more than enough to record an entire long day of driving or more. Using "2 hours of retention" in the discussion is a red herring.
This thread is about 120fps video. My Garmin records at 10mbps so if it was 4 times the framerate that would be 40mbps

Well you have to remember that the dashcams are merely for logging your own driving and what else the camera capture are just a bonus, so with that in mind you dont really need a lot of hours saved cuz if you get into a alteration that's most likely where the recording will stop.
There is no doubt that dashcams also have a value as a investigative tool, but due to their nature it will be hit and miss if it can provide anything of interest.
But never the less it is a thing police should think off, and so if they call for witnesses in some case then maybe also say that anyone in the area driving with a dashcam at the time will have interest.

But otherwise i would put my money on CCTV cameras that do retain data for a long time, i myself also have CCTV at home though i live in a 2 floor apartment and me actually recording public areas are not allowed, but as my friend was told by a judge in court " please dont stop doing that" just know its not actually legal.
And it also come out that when police most often get wiser on a case using CCTV its most often by footage from those illegal CCTV cameras.

That being said and as i also have been saying for a long time, i do look forward to dashcams that use a larger SSD / harddrive for storage, and into which i can just plug in a thumb drive to get footage off it.
But that's mostly me being sick and tired of the damn little micro SD cards, and the fact that it is a pretty expensive storage form compared to SSD hard drives where i can get double the storage space for the same price.

Is recording public areas really illegal in Denmark? That seems absurd. It's definitely not illegal in America

What is needed is a dashcam that instead of completely deleting video when the card is full it just deletes half the frames so that the existing video takes half the space leaving plenty of space to continue recording without loosing any video, then it could have a month of retention time on a reasonable sized card :) Of course by the time video is a month old it would have had it's frame rate halved many times so would be very low frame rate, but it would still have that car in the gas station on record.

This thread is about 120fps video. My Garmin records at 10mbps so if it was 4 times the framerate that would be 40mbps

It is about 120 fps video but you were the one who felt it necessary to turn it into a discussion about how average citizens should be recording and archiving footage for potential use by law enforcement because allegedly, according to you, the "vast majority of crime occurs along roadways".

In any event, 120 fps is a slow motion capture mode which has no generally useful dash cam application, so it's hardly worth arguing over regardless of how much memory it may require.

Yeah you can have a camera on a public area, but you are not allowed to save what they see. ( and no one can see on the camera itself if it is recording or not )
But it matter little as this law are not enforced, and i am pretty sure the numbers of illegal cameras outweigh the legal ones.
So when something go down in a street like for instance the almost daily shootings among immigrant gangs fighting over the lucrative drug market, well then cops will walk up and down the street looking for illegal cameras in stores and so on mostly, and then go in and ask for the footage.

Yeah you can have a camera on a public area, but you are not allowed to save what they see. ( and no one can see on the camera itself if it is recording or not )
But it matter little this law are not enforced, and i am pretty sure the numbers of illegal cameras outweigh the legal ones.
So when something go down in a street like for instance the almost daily shootings among immigrant gangs fighting over the lucrative drug market, well then cops will walk up and down the street looking for illegal cameras in stores and so on mostly, and then go in and ask for the footage.

Here is the US the general rule in most jurisdictions is that recording in a public place is permitted because there is "no expectation of privacy".

same here, no law against filming with my dashcamera, the problem only come if i post that footage on say youtube.
but apparently its a little bit different for the fixed CCTV cameras.

But i will keep doing so until a judge tell me not to, and then i will only stop after raising all kinds of hell.

Back