Dash cam with display in reverse mirror

JakubAnderwald

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Hi, I'm looking for a dash cam with display built in a reverse mirror, that would serve as both a dash cam and reverse camera. There's a plethora of products available and I would like to get some guidance from real users rather than super-positive online reviews ;) Can you help me with some questions?
1 - Some cameras have a display that takes over the whole surface of their reverse mirror, e.g. 10". Do I understand correctly that in such cases I basically get no physical rearview mirror, only the image from reverse camera? I don't think that's a good idea, the camera might get dirty.
2 - In the devices that have a small screen (4-5") built into a part of the reverse mirror, is it possible to switch the part that's actual mirror into night mode, just like regular mirrors?
3 - As above, is the display turning itself off when not in use, and back on when reverse gear is engaged? I wouldn't like to have a screen pouring light into my eyes all the time
4 - In general, is it a good idea? :)

That might be true. Does anyone have knowledge / experience with them though? :)

A rear dashcam should give a view similar to what you see in your real mirror, and thus will not be of much help.

A reversing camera should give additional information, generally it is mounted down near the bumper so that you can see how close you are to things behind, it is not the view you want from a rear dashcam and the view from the rear dashcam is not the view you want from a reversing camera.

As for using the image as a mirror, apart from it giving the wrong view, all the currently available systems will not comply with the rules for electronic mirrors, for example they will not be bright enough to be seen in full sunshine and the camera sensors may be blinded by full sunshine resulting in things not being visible even though they are there. The reversing camera view needs to be seperate so that you have both available.

If you want a reversing camera, buy a reversing camera, if you want a dashcam, buy a dashcam, if you want both, buy both. There are some really cheap reversing cameras available that will do an adequate job.

I want a reversing camera by the above definitions. I already have a dashcam that I used in my previous car and aim to mount in my current car. I also have a crappy factory rearview mirror that I *COULD* replace with a better one.
While searching for reversing camera I found a lot of these 3-in-1 products (reversing/dash camera/rearview mirror) and thought I could kill 3 birds with one stone instead of putting a lot of separate devices on my windshield or dash.

I too would like to have a rear dashcam double as a reverse cam.
The angle of such camera is often pointed out but I would be happy with the big view given by a dash cam. Even if it dont have the colored guidelines and that I wount see the bumper of my car, with the camera I will get a bigger picture of whats behind, more like an extended center mirror then a reverse cam.

I dont belive in replacing the center mirror with some digital gizmo for the same reasons given above posters.

I tested using a Streetguardian as a reverse cam but it did not work out that well.

Perhaps the best is to get a Blackvue or some other device that has an app and use your phone/tablet as the reverse camera, perhaps lag will be factor then?
You can also go with two systems. You want good quality from the dashcam but the reverse cam dont need that great picture since it is only guideance and not documentation.

Some people recomend the Mini 0805P and using HDMI out, video out is always bad and cables can be hard to find. If you buy the Mini i would be happy to read your findings.

The amount of space on the dashboard and devices in the car is also a factor, that's why I was looking for a combined device. I already have a phone which I use for navigation and a "Yanosik" dedicated device for alerting of speed cameras. I don't want to add 3rd or even 4th device with monitor, power cables etc.

Having a reversing camera that would pop-up a window on my phone when I put the car in reverse and then disappear sounds OK as well, do you know if such dedicated products exist?

The amount of space on the dashboard and devices in the car is also a factor, that's why I was looking for a combined device. I already have a phone which I use for navigation and a "Yanosik" dedicated device for alerting of speed cameras. I don't want to add 3rd or even 4th device with monitor, power cables etc.

Having a reversing camera that would pop-up a window on my phone when I put the car in reverse and then disappear sounds OK as well, do you know if such dedicated products exist?

Maybe this is what you are looking for?

I had an earlier version of this but was not happy with it.
The idea is great, having a front and rear dashcam, and (if you connect it correctly) a reverse cam that activates when you put the gear in reverse + GPS and Android in one machine.
However, the recorded picture was bad, the built in GPS-program didn't work and GPS positioning was slow. After replacing the GPS program with Google Maps there wasn't enough storage onboard so I could not update Maps or any other program any more. Apps keept crashing, device was slow, screen bad, old Android that didnt recieve updates and yes the clock didn't keep the correct time, other then that, super great, best ever!

Maybe they are better now, I bought mine many years ago when the first one came out. Maybe the updated versions are better but I would think not. Most likely it is still Chinese crap and a scam product as usual.

There are Android based car radios that can do reverse cam, gps, dash cam etc. They seem to be great when reading the specs and the look great in the photos but I would not trust them either. I was planing on getting one but settled for a less fancy solution, a Samsung pad.

I get the same feelings. I did a lot of research a couple of year ago into the market of Chinese crappy Android aftermarket stereos for my Audi. I ended up buying a good quality bluetooth-based CD changer emulator and kept the factory stereo in place.

I would be happy to pay more money (let's say 250$ instead of 80$ for the cheap units) if I get better quality for it. However, it seems that with each dollar you spend on such product, you get more features with same poor level of quality.

I get the same feelings. I did a lot of research a couple of year ago into the market of Chinese crappy Android aftermarket stereos for my Audi. I ended up buying a good quality bluetooth-based CD changer emulator and kept the factory stereo in place.

I would be happy to pay more money (let's say 250$ instead of 80$ for the cheap units) if I get better quality for it. However, it seems that with each dollar you spend on such product, you get more features with same poor level of quality.

I agree 100 %.

I too like the concept, but as of right now nobody does it very well with most of the offerings being junk. Maybe someday it will happen.

Phil

I ended up buying Orllo Predator - which is a retailer brand, probably originally made in China under a very different name. I like the quality, both the front and reversing camera are SONY EXMOR 322, 170 FOV in the front and 140 FOV in the back.
I uploaded an example video to YouTube if you're interested:

Looks good for that sensor, processor, and considering what YouTube does to videos. Please let us know how it's doing from time to time so we can better advise others looking for that kind of cam in the future!

Phil

I ended up buying Orllo Predator - which is a retailer brand, probably originally made in China under a very different name. I like the quality, both the front and reversing camera are SONY EXMOR 322, 170 FOV in the front and 140 FOV in the back.
I uploaded an example video to YouTube if you're interested:

First of all, that is one huge garage!
Picture quality is good.

This is a center mirror camera solution?
Does it give you any other functions then recording and mirror?

Please post picture of the camera.

Back