Dash cam with long recording

su888

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Well, i've got a bit of a task to catch the daily walker to allows their dog to continuely do their poo on our lawn and not remove it. We know who it is, and unfortunately council can't do much without 'hard' evidence.

Plan is to setup a dash cam in the car as evidence of the low life.

Criteria, is the quality of the video must be reasonable, and capable of recording for 12+ hrs. Power for it is not important, we have 12v constant source in the car.

Basically, have narrowed it down to the Lukas LK 7900 for its ability to record onto 128gb card as most of the other cams only seem to do 32gb (Only down side is there is no live view on the screen).

Before i commit, anyone else have any other recommendations?

su888 said:
Well, i've got a bit of a task to catch the daily walker to allows their dog to continuely do their poo on our lawn and not remove it. We know who it is, and unfortunately council can't do much without 'hard' evidence.

Plan is to setup a dash cam in the car as evidence of the low life.

Criteria, is the quality of the video must be reasonable, and capable of recording for 12+ hrs. Power for it is not important, we have 12v constant source in the car.

Basically, have narrowed it down to the Lukas LK 7900 for its ability to record onto 128gb card as most of the other cams only seem to do 32gb (Only down side is there is no live view on the screen).

Before i commit, anyone else have any other recommendations?

Almost any camera will do that but they overwrite when full However in Parking mode they only record when there is movement so would do the job

When your car has been stopped for 10 mins the Blackvue goes into parking mode until it has the power turned off or the car moves again.

IF you use a power magic you can regulate the battery voltage that it turns off so as not to run the car battery flat.

Re: AW: Dash cam with long recording

He states the 12V power/capacity is not an issue in that car due to some mysterious recharging (wiring the house/garage?)
Soin case there ist constant 12V available the is no issue at all with any Camera capable of handling 64GB cards.

Its being installed in a 4wd, which has dual batteries. (One is isolated from starter battery)

Ok - i think i have to rule out the LK 79000 due to its fixing onto the glass, once installed it seems like it can only rotate up and down, not left and right!!!

Get the LK7500. Exact same device but with two differences: operational heat range is slightly lower and the mount is totally rotatable (which solves your problem with the lk7900). It's also cheaper.

I don't trust motion detection, as I've seen on reviews that many have a rather high threshhold before they start recording. eg. works when the car starts moving, but a pedestrian walking might not be enough if he's not close to the car.

Also you have to keep us informed on how this unfolds. :)

I personally use a FineVu CR-500HD in front and BlackVue DR380HD in the rear, and the motion detection for both dashcams have been unbeatable. What I love about the FineVu is that the default settings has the footage automatically separated into EVENT/ NORMAL/ PARKING partitions, and the motion detection in parking mode is VERY sensitive. I have hours of footage of my car parked at work, capturing people walking by 100+ feet away.

Since you seem to want the option of reviewing the footage right on the spot, it might be worth investing in a BlackVue DR500GW; BlackVue developed an app for both iPhone and Android, and you can view the footage live as it records, from your smartphone. You can also adjust the BlackVue's settings to store your footage in partitions, so there is an increased chance that the parked footage will be saved when you want to review it in the morning, even if your storage card is smaller (32GB). If you buy the Power Magic or Power Magic Pro, you can enable parking mode for the DR500GW.

Good luck with your search, let us know how it goes!

Back