Dash cam with narrower FOV?

Smoke Pants

Reaction score
Country
United States
If they exist, I would appreciate any suggestions for car cameras with a narrower field of view besides Mobius with the A lens. I'm a private investigator and sometimes use them for surveillance, so the more forward distance the better.

Am I looking for a unicorn? After much searching this is all I have found:

1. QVIA Z970 (3x optical zoom).

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...r-3x-optical-zoom-2ch-fhd-lcd-wifi-gps.19015/

I messaged the reviewer to ask for raw video samples but apparently he is not around anymore. Why didn't the Z970 take off? Is it the high price? The large size? The low bitrate/questionable video quality?

2. Just for laughs I could go old-school:
Rage cams police.jpg

You might still consider a Mobius but with a longer focal length aftermarket lens such as this 2.8mm t0 12mm ƒ 1.4 zoom. A narrower fixed lens is also a consideration but either way a 12mm makes for a substantial telephoto compared to the average dash cam. You can go longer, even up to say 16mm but this can cause vibration in the image depending on the road surface. Certain other dash cams might also be retrofitted with longer focal length lenses if you are handy and can do some DIY.

Last edited:
My most recent experiments posted today in that thread suggest further surveillance possibilities. (in total darkness with an IR illuminator)

Back