Dash Cam with Optical Image Stabilization?

hanstj

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Insta360 One R 1-Inch Edition, Sony HDR-PJ540
Off all dash cams mentioned in this website and forum, does any of them have optical image stabilization?

It softens the picture, not suitable for this purpose

Softening the picture? By the way, I was not talking about software (or digital) stabilization. I was talking about an actual image stabilization hardware built into the dash cam. It simply makes the whole car ride appears smoother in the video.

The reason I am asking this is because I am also using my dash cam to create time-lapse videos, such as this one:

stabilization is digital and it softens the picture, don't think it would do anything to help your timelapse videos, you might be better to look at something in post processing to do that

Softening the picture? By the way, I was not talking about software (or digital) stabilization. I was talking about an actual image stabilization hardware built into the dash cam. It simply makes the whole car ride appears smoother in the video.

The reason I am asking this is because I am also using my dash cam to create time-lapse videos, such as this one:

Optical image stabilization is definitely more effective than digital but it would not be practical in a small dash camera and even if it were feasible it would likely add quite a bit to the cost of manufacture.

Optical image stabilization is definitely more effective than digital but it would not be practical in a small dash camera and even if it were feasible it would likely add quite a bit to the cost of manufacture.

never seen it in a dashcam and unlikely I would think, if the camera is solidly mounted it's not needed anyway so no commercial reason to add this functionality

maybe a Galluscam is a better solution

Hah! Yeah, we had a few laughs a couple of months ago in another thread (Walking with your Mobius) where I posted some chicken head cam videos.

Also, we had some discussion about DIY vibration reduction using foam or sorbothane in the Wishlist for Motorcycle Camera thread that may be of interest to the OP @hanstj, here, here & here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hanstj,
The Sony AS-xx series Action cam has optical stabilizer, however it does not function as a dashcam (no loop recording).
You may want to consider SJ4000 (clone of GoPro) which has a dashcam function in conjunction with Feiyu Gyro stabilized gimbal (about $200 on Ebay).
However there may be issues with the drift for long term car use & frequency response in a car environment as these gimbals are designed for Quadcopters.

After a bit of searching I just came upon this tiny optically stabilized 1080P capable video camera module from Sharp, released in 2011 and geared for the smartphone market. Would be interesting to see if this device ever made into other products or if it might be feasible for a dash cam? I didn't know an optically image stabilized device this small existed.

Sharp.png

in a handheld device I think this is a valid option, I don't even see the need in a dashcam product though where the camera is solidly mounted and moves with the vehicle

in a handheld device I think this is a valid option, I don't even see the need in a dashcam product though where the camera is solidly mounted and moves with the vehicle

I agree and I don't agree. I say that because I live in a rural area.....on a dirt road in fact. When driving the mile and a half down my road to get to the smooth tarmac the video from my dash cam is always compromised by vibration no matter how solidly it is mounted. It depends on the time of year or the particular weather we have had just how smooth the dirt/gravels roads will be at any given time. Dirt roads are a way of life around here, half way up a mountain with normal paved roads the closer one gets to town. Winter driving on any road around here can also be problematic in achieving optimal video quality even on the paved roads. So from my perspective I can see the attraction to having optical image stabilization in a dash cam.

I think image stabilisation may give a lesser quality result for this application, technology improves all the time so that may not always be the case but I see it as more useful for larger movement than just vibration

I just researched the Sony, it has Steadyshot image stabilization.
According to Wiki, Steadyshot is either optical or sensor movement.

that will just be a name they've trademarked, looks good in catalogues, everything I've read about them says the feature is digital but maybe they have some higher end model using it, not sure

I think image stabilisation may give a lesser quality result for this application, technology improves all the time so that may not always be the case but I see it as more useful for larger movement than just vibration

Certainly you have the experience to make a pretty good educated guess. It would be interesting to see some sort of study or testing though. You're right though about image stabilization which kind of like sharpening (usually over sharpening) can be a double edged sword. Often it's better to leave well enough alone and just make sure a camera of any kind is well mounted and focused accurately.

yeah I would need to see better examples of the technology than I've seen to date, maybe it's a thing that will be common at some stage as the technology gets better and more affordable, keep in mind most manufacturers won't even spend an extra dollar for a better lens which would improve the average camera so I think we're probably still some way off this being a common feature

yeah I would need to see better examples of the technology than I've seen to date, maybe it's a thing that will be common at some stage as the technology gets better and more affordable, keep in mind most manufacturers won't even spend an extra dollar for a better lens which would improve the average camera so I think we're probably still some way off this being a common feature

True, but it is interesting how not too long ago cameras in phones were basically useless low rez ad -on gadgets and now they are quite good and have knocked high quality point and shoot cameras off their perch in the marketplace. Often, it is fascinating to see how technology makes these leaps forward in capability and downward in price.

I think even now a decent point and shoot camera will outdo a great number of camera phones, we always have our phones with us though so even if not as good they're acceptable enough that people can't justify replacing an older camera like they once would have, form has won out over function for a lot of people

I think even now a decent point and shoot camera will outdo a great number of camera phones, we always have our phones with us though so even if not as good they're acceptable enough that people can't justify replacing an older camera like they once would have, form has won out over function for a lot of people

There have been a number of articles in the media recently about how smartphones have increasingly cannibalized the point & shoot market because the image quality from many of the most recent generation of smartphone cams have been matching the image quality of point & shoot camera. That trend appears likely to continue with the only real limitation being the usual fixed lenses on phones. DPReview, a website that knows its cameras even made a comparison of (certain) smartphones vs DSLRs vs film and reached some surprising conclusions. The Nokia Lumia 1020 41 pixel phone camera, while kind of unique and over the top is an interesting example of where smartphone camera imaging seems to be heading:
  • 41-megapixel 1/1.5-inch backside-illuminated sensor
  • F2.2 lens
  • 25mm equivalent focal length in 16:9, 27mm in 4:3
  • 2.7x downsampling digital zoom
  • Optical image stabilization
  • Manual shutter speed, focus, and ISO control
  • Xenon flash
  • 1080p 30fps video recording
  • 1.2MP F2.4 front camera
  • Panorama mode
  • Nokia Smart Camera mode
  • Nokia Pro Cam mode
Edit: Here's an interesting related article.

Last edited:
Back