Dash cam with parking mode and video out

Zelos

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm looking for a dash cam that I can mount on my rear window and be able to hook it up to my head unit to view the feed live.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a dash cam with parking mode and video out? I like the profile of the A119 but I can't find a dash cam that fit the criteria.

You can do this just fine with any camera that have AV out ( it is of course just a low res image you will see on the head unit, if you want to be able to view HD footage you will need a camera with HDMI out )
That being said the low res footage are not like utter garbage, but it is like a TV signal from when we or at least i was a kid, so not super nice by today's standards but still usable for normal details.

I know the street guardian GC cameras do have AV out, but i am not sure if they have evolved out of having that.

You will of course also have to change to the AV feed on the head unit yourself i would think, in the day when i had a 4 channel system with analog CCTV cameras my China win CE head unit detected the signal fine and changed to the "reversing camera channel" so if i want to do other things than just view that i had to change on the head unit to play MP3 from a SD card or listen to radio CD.

what's your thinking behind having live feed from a rear window camera?

Back-up camera.

I know the street guardian GC cameras do have AV out, but i am not sure if they have evolved out of having that..

I sent a question over to Street Guardian and they don't have any cams with parking mode and AV out. All the cameras I've encountered so far has AV out or parking mode, not both.

Back-up camera.
ok, there's a couple of challenges with this that you'll need to think about, we do reverse cameras as well, reverse cameras have a mirror image so that when you look at the display what you see on the left is the left side, what you see on the right is the right side, just like when you look in your rear view mirror, a dashcam does not mirror the rear cam image so when you look at the display what you see on the left of the monitor will be the right side, what's on the right of the monitor will be the left side, to make this work you'd need a monitor that allows you to mirror the input, some do but it's not very common

the second challenge is the vantage point for the rear camera is not going to be ideal for reverse camera purposes, if you aim it down enough to be practical for that then it won't be great for its intended purpose

For reversing i think you are far better off with a dedicated camera for that, for a few reasons.

1: The dashcams don't have the footage mirrored like reversing cameras, also dashcams don't have the distance and guide lines in the footage.
2: Depending on the car you have a dashcam can be problematic too, if you have a sedan and the camera up high on the rear window a child could easy be down low where your rear end / trunk obscure it.
Myself i have a tiny car with a pretty much flat rear end ( 5 door hatchback ) so my rear camera do give pretty decent view, but i do think the first foot or two are not in the footage.

3: True reversing cameras at least on regular cars are often even wider angle FOV, and placed down low on the car, some SUV or 4 X 4 and vans can have a reversing camera way up high aimed down a lot.
4: Dashcams are often aimed out back at a more flat angle, i / you could aim it down at a bigger angle but that would then have some say on the automatic metering of the light.

A true reversing camera you can get for 20 USD or something, and it sound like one would plug into your head unit effortless.
If the touchscreen of my head unit worked + if i had not lost that part of the wire loom i would put in a regular reversing camera.

The cam would be mounted on a Toyota 4Runner, not a sedan. I'm aware of and not concerned about the mirror image or the hookup.

I'd like to know if there is a cam with video out and parking mode out there.

The dual channel K2S we have begun to beta test on, and so not ready for production or sale yet have both a HDMI and a AV out.
I cant think of other models off the top of my head as AV out are not really something i pay attention to myself, i think the hardware used in many cameras support it, just a matter of the maker have bothered to wire it up and put a plug in the housing.

BUT it will be a while before we have the K2S ready to ship, but if you like to keep a tap on it the entire forum for the open beta testing are here.

The dual channel K2S we have begun to beta test on, and so not ready for production or sale yet have both a HDMI and a AV out.
I cant think of other models off the top of my head as AV out are not really something i pay attention to myself, i think the hardware used in many cameras support it, just a matter of the maker have bothered to wire it up and put a plug in the housing.

BUT it will be a while before we have the K2S ready to ship, but if you like to keep a tap on it the entire forum for the open beta testing are here.
I will be looking forward to the release of the K2S.

Also, I don't think Rayman means to use the word "incestuous" - maybe incessant?

I will be looking forward to the release of the K2S.

Also, I don't think Rayman means to use the word "incestuous" - maybe incessant?
I think it was the right word in the original language, once translated to English, and depending on where in the world you are from, it may not be quite so appropriate, but it still has the correct meaning if you check the dictionary.

I believe the A119 you mention in your original post has parking mode and video out, as does the A129 dual camera, which also has live video streaming over wifi. Your only problem is obtaining the correct analogue AV cable.

I think it was the right word in the original language, once translated to English, and depending on where in the world you are from, it may not be quite so appropriate, but it still has the correct meaning if you check the dictionary.

I believe the A119 you mention in your original post has parking mode and video out, as does the A129 dual camera, which also has live video streaming over wifi. Your only problem is obtaining the correct analogue AV cable.
I was just looking at the A129 and was wondering if the AV out was for the live feed or just playback.

I'll also ask Viofo if the 3.5mm port has two or three contacts.

I was just looking at the A129 and was wondering if the AV out was for the live feed or just playback.

I'll also ask Viofo if the 3.5mm port has two or three contacts.
I'm sure there is a thread with the answer somewhere on this forum, maybe even where to get the cable...

I don't use the ancient analogue stuff from last century!

Digging this up as I am going though the same thing again. And I remember having a similar discussion a few years ago when I wanted to view the image from my rear camera, possibly with the same members. I've been using the early Street Guardian cam with Video out to this day without issues to monitor what is happening at the rear of the car and at times for reversing as well. (a monitor that supports reversing the image is best) So it is a bit sad that on the recommended dash cam page of the site now there is no consistent mention of specific inputs/outputs that the dash cams have. Good luck figuring out which one has video out quickly. :confused:

I think all SG cameras have a AV out option, if not it must be damn close.
I am still going for a true reversing camera, i have tried lately using the live video in the APP of the DR camera i am testing, but it just do not feel right, but mind you i have never tried to reverse looking at a camera / true reversing or not.
So it might just be me having to get used to it in the first place.

It is okay reversing into a parking booth, but parallel parking using the camera, :eek: well i give up and use my mirrors and 30 years of experience instead.

I am still going for a true reversing camera, i have tried lately using the live video in the APP of the DR camera i am testing, but it just do not feel right, but mind you i have never tried to reverse looking at a camera / true reversing or not.
So it might just be me having to get used to it in the first place.

It is okay reversing into a parking booth, but parallel parking using the camera, :eek: well i give up and use my mirrors and 30 years of experience instead.
That's right, it's the same with my experience. Not good for positioning your car in parking, but good for monitoring what is behind the car. For example if you tow trailers, if you observe areas behind your car, or if you are backing up and some moving car or person gets in the view. So it has it's uses, just not good for car positioning. For that I agree a dedicated reversing cam is best (personally I don't need one for that)

Back