Dash cam with trip odometer

Lugnut

Reaction score
Country
United States
I need a dash cam that includes the current speed (easy) and the mileage traveled during the recording (apparently difficult).
I have a car that includes what they call the "Performance Data Recorder." Playback looks like this:
maxresdefault.jpg

I'm trying to get some of this functionality in another car that doesn't include this system. I don't need the telemetry for this particular application. What I really do need is the current speed and the distance traveled in the playback of the dash cam recording.

What do I need to get my distance traveled in miles during playback?

Thanks!

Most dashcams with GPS and good PC playback software(player) can do what you need.

Would you mind giving a specific combo that I can search for? I've been combing the internet for playback clips that include mileage and I have yet to find one.

I did a bunch more searching yesterday and I still have yet to come up with anything that will display distance traveled in the recording. I see lots of things that give current speed, which is good, and GPS coordinates, which I don't need, but I still haven't found a single recording clip online that shows the distance traveled.

If this is a common thing that most GPS cams and good PC playback software can do, can anyone post a quick clip or screenshot or something so I can see it?

Thanks again!

distance traveled in the recording

You will not find that to my knowledge, in general on the GPS enabled dashcams you just get the Speed and in some cases map coordinates.
BUT ! you can see distance traveled with most dashcam players, but i don't think you can take that and overlay that on a recording.

On the speed o on the bottom you see my speed and above it 17.1 Km which was the distance traveled at the time.
On the map to the Right are all the tracks of my drives in the past 6 days, i often drive the same routes.

Your car Covette ?

As it say "performance Data recorder" which are also what you would like on a track where performance are king, but those same parameters are not that interesting for driving in regular traffic where performance don't really matter at least if you stay within the confines of the traffic code.

Spme bramds have tried to also use OBD information embedded in dashcam, and so supported throttle % - breake use - indicator - gear ASO, and thats all nice, but it also seemed like cars do not all talk the same language on the OBD port so how much of the cameras features worked on your car was a coin toss with those ( lukas and maybe qvia ) cameras

Okay, I found one that will probably do the trick. I tried "Dashcam Viewer" and it has a speedometer gauge with an odometer in it. It's not the best UI, but it'll do. Hopefully that's an actual route traveled distance and not a point-to-point distance. Dashcam Viewer provided some sample videos that were helpful, if short.
Screenshot:

Dashcam players also need to support a given camera model, its not like one or any player support all cameras.
The maker of DC viewer are here on the site and he is very responsive to suggestions.

Your car Covette ?

It's a Camaro SS 1LE, which is the track version with the extra dozen radiators/heat exchangers and amazing differential and huge brakes and all of that good stuff for track driving.

As it say "performance Data recorder" which are also what you would like on a track where performance are king, but those same parameters are not that interesting for driving in regular traffic where performance don't really matter at least if you stay within the confines of the traffic code.

Spme bramds have tried to also use OBD information embedded in dashcam, and so supported throttle % - breake use - indicator - gear ASO, and thats all nice, but it also seemed like cars do not all talk the same language on the OBD port so how much of the cameras features worked on your car was a coin toss with those ( lukas and maybe qvia ) cameras

I don't need this for track stuff. Eventually I'd like to put something like that together, but this setup I'm working on now is actually for TSD rallye planning. I need to record the route and identify details/signs/traffic lights/speed limit changes at particular mileage points. Recording the route I put together last year in the Camaro was amazing because I could simply consult the video and see exactly where some particular landmark or sign or whatever was. No guessing, no having to drive back to the route and note mileage by hand... It was wonderful. I'm looking to put something together so I can transfer a cam from car to car and do this in whichever car I want, plus I'd like to have it portable enough that I could hand it off to another club member planning their own rallye and they could use it, too, with a minimum of setup and headache.

For track, I know I can use something like Harry's Lap Timer and use its video overlays, but like I said, that isn't what I'm going for right now.

Thank you very much for your help. Looks like this software will do what I need. Now I need to decide on a camera!

Okay dident know the Camaros had it too, when i heard about it i think it was just the Corvette.
But yeah why should Chevy not port that to other of their nice performance cars.
Some action cameras have a bunch of sensors build in, which you can extract the data from and overlay it to the footage, how to do it i don't know as it don't have my interest at all, but i have seen it done on some youtube videos.

SS Camaro are one of my favorites, but the 1967 one that are 1 year younger than myself,,,,,, will be exporting one of those out if the US with a substancial lotto win for sure, but probably need to fill a few containers with vintage Detroit steel.

There's a list of supported cameras on Dashcam Viewer website- be sure the one you want is on there. The program developer is a member here and can help you if you have problems.

Phil

Back