Dash cam with wi-fi and app that downloads to phone?

Hal1

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm looking for a budget cam that has wi-fi to download to my phone. - thinking of $100 or less range - I know the dl will be slow. I'm not too worried about about picture/license, it's more to show the police and my employer that the other guy ran the light/cut me off/drifted in to my lane, etc.

I have found several that *seem* to meet my requirements as described on Amazon, but when reading the reviews all they seem to do download to an app on the phone, not actually to my phones files. I think the Roav A1 meets my list of wants, but most others seem to have Amazon reviews where they say they can't connect at all, or it doesn't actually save it to the phone. - I would like it on the phone so I can then attach the file to an email or uploaded it to my Google Drive.

I thought the Anker DRS1 met my needs, but it doesn't seem to save it o my phone. Also, it seems like I have to turn airplane mode on, then open the app, then enable wifi, then turn airplane mode off - a sequence of about 5 tries before the wifi connects

Short version
Wi-Fi
Mid level - around $120 or less
Saves files directly to phone

Recommendations?

even the lowest quality camera you'll find is going to create files that are too large to email, uploading to Google Drive or similar is what you'll need to do, (on average) expect 1 minute of video to be around 100mb or greater

I think most of the phone apps will save a file to the phone storage, certainly Viofo does. As jokiin says, the files are always too big to email, and use up a fair amount of data allowance for upload to google drive. Also it is a good idea to review video at home on a big screen before sending it to insurance/police etc., so I typically only download to phone as either a backup of something important or for transfer into the house, saves messing with a tiny micro SD card.

Recommendations?

Viofo A129 / A139 is worth a look at that price level, available as single/dual/triple channel units.

even the lowest quality camera you'll find is going to create files that are too large to email, uploading to Google Drive or similar is what you'll need to do, (on average) expect 1 minute of video to be around 100mb or greater
This I understand. One of my issues was that many of the apps didn't actually save it to my phone, but rather to the app, which couldn't upload to Google Drive. Also, I really only want a front cam, which their 119 doesn't seem to have wifi. Any other recommendations

Last edited:
This I understand. One of my issues was that many of the apps didn't actually save it to my phone, but rather to the app, which couldn't upload to Google Drive. Also, I really only want a front cam, which their 119 doesn't seem to have wifi. Any other recommendations
True, no wifi on the A119, but the A129 does have wifi and is available in single channel form.

To clarify/verify - the Viofo wi-fi app used with the A129 will actually save the files to the phone itself, not just the app, so I can actually view the videos form my phone itself, and access them with a file explorer and then upload them to something like google drive. Or put another way, they can be downloaded with the wi0fi app and stored locally on my phone, not the app.

Last edited:
It is not automated of course, you have to select which files to download to the phone.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Giri43 Dash Cam Discussion 0
T Dash Cam Discussion 0
G Dash Cam Discussion 0
I Dash Cam Discussion 6
B Dash Cam Discussion 6
Back