Dash Cam Xmas Present

UK-RV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have received (model at my request) a Smart Cam 2.4 LTPS 1080P HD Video Recorder dash camera.

I have yet to use the camera, only charged and inserted the SD card, mainly due in my opinion to the instruction booklet that came with the camera being poorly written. :(

I have searched the internet via Google to try and find better operating instructions without result, so I hope that between the members on this forum and the camera supplier to have all my questions answered :?:

Hi UK-RV,

I am not that familiar with that camera but most of these cameras are not that complicated. Usually you just need to experiment with the settings. Any particular issue you are having with the camera?

Hi Dash Cam Man, Here is a picture of the cam which may help to identify it.

[Broken External Image]:http://www.carcamwarehouse.com/car_camera_smartcam.jpg

Does that help, the seller claims it's a mid range camera?

First questions. 1. " Will the camera only record with the view screen in the open position or BOTH open or closed?"
2. "Can the content of the SD card be viewed if inserted into a laptop?"

This may be bread & butter to you but I intend to use the dash cam in two vehicles one of which a motor home has its windscreen several feet in front of the dashboard so not easy to adjust once in situ. :)

I placed an order for this camera and then learned something about it that changed my mind.
When it gets dark you must manually go to the camera and set it to night mode. If you stop your vehicle and the power shuts off for a moment. The camera automatically defaults back to day mode. So after returning to your vehicle even after a minute or two you will have to manually tell it you are driving and recording at night.

I spoke to Bill Gremminger of http://www.dashcamusa.com and cancelled my order. He verified that the information in the manual for the SmartCam HD 2 was correct. That it had to be manually reset at dusk and after every time you stop it at night.

I think most of us think this is unreasonable and I know my wife would not take the time or know how to reset the camera each time she runs her errands at night.
At $146 for this camera it is better to spend a bit more and get something better.
I am very happy with my ITB100HD from Itronics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bob, Thanks for that, unfortunately I have now bought the camera, this is all new to me nothing like a usual digi camera that you use to take photos

Hi UK-RV,

There is a Smartcam 2 HD Review on Youtube that describes how the camera operates. Probably better than the manual.

I briefly watched this video and from the menus, it is obvious this is a Novatek based camera. It is essentially a Carcam K2000 in a different case. The K6000, Rearview Mirror DVR and many others have similar internal components.

As for your questions, I am not familiar with this camera specifically but the Carcam K2000 can record with the screen in either the open or closed position. I am pretty sure that this camera will do the same. Also the Novatek cameras record in AVI and the files can be viewed from the SD card when inserted into a laptop.

Last edited by a moderator:
DashCamMan, Thank you very much for sending me that You Tube link which has answered some of my questions, but if you have viewed the video footage yourself you will see the presenter skimps over some of the menu settings without entering them to explain or advise what is best. :(

Thanks again Mick

A good review but he glosses over the "Lamp" Setting at the 7:05 point. He assumes that the Lamp setting is for the screen back light and it is not. Something I think most people would assume but it is for night recording.
See this video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7PDk0l8bwE[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=w7PDk0l8bwE

DashCamMan & NVBob, Thanks again for that You Tube video information in fact if you type in the search box SmartCam 2 HD there are quite a few video reviews as well as set up instructions. :)
I shall view all and come back with anything NOT covered.

Back