Dash Camera Captures Drivers Failing to Stop for School Bus

Well i would be in danger of failing that law too, here instead kids learn to cross the road, and not to do so before the bus have left.
Though school buses as such are pretty much a thing of the past here.

Funny how countries otherwise much alike do things so different.

The fine for illegally passing a stopped school bus here is $1035 for the first offense :eek: and that doesn't include Court fees or increased insurance rates.

My State has appropriated the funding to equip almost all of the buses with cams to catch these offenders which should be completed in about 14 more months. As poorly as people drive here there are going to be a lot of very surprised drivers getting a not-so-nice letter in the mail and I don't have any problem with that :cool:

SC law is weird on this matter. On a 2-lane road traffic in both directions must stop, but on a 4-lane or more road only the traffic going the same direction must stop as the kids now get dropped off on the side they need to so that they do not have to cross the road at all except on 2 lane roads. The old laws required everyone to stop unless there was a physical median (concrete or grass) between opposing travel lanes. Lots of folks are unaware of the new laws so often people stop when they don't need to. These laws vary in each State which I think is a bad idea. We really need one nation-wide set of traffic laws but i don't see that happening anytime soon if ever :(

Phil

In Ontario. the fine is $400 plus $90 surcharge and 6 demerit points. If the driver can NOT be identified, then the vehicle owner is fined $490. Ontario has confusing laws on the matter too.

Links on the matter.
  1. April 25, 2019: Speeding past a school buses? Camera footage could be used for prosecution
  2. Sept 24, Camera on Niagara school bus leads to 1st charge for driver who failed to stop: police
  3. sept 24: Fort Erie driver who fails to stop caught by school bus camera
So now, fortunately and finally, school bus cameras can be used.

We have numerous cases where passengers are getting out of street cars are being hit. As the street cars (wrongly and poorly designed) are in the middle of the street passengers are getting hit as they walk out of the street cars. there are signs stating its illegal to pass when dropping of passengers. Now, after a death,
Toronto transit commission to ask transportation ministry to use streetcar cameras to investigate traffic violations

Edit. I heard about the TTC to ask the ministry to use street car cameras, but I never read the link. Apparently, with an accident last week
"external cameras on the transit vehicle captured the whole incident, police are not allowed to use them under the Highway Traffic Act.". So on one hand footage of school buses can be used but NOT cameras from public transit, even in the case of a fatal accident.

Last edited:
Well i would be in danger of failing that law too, here instead kids learn to cross the road, and not to do so before the bus have left.
Though school buses as such are pretty much a thing of the past here.

Funny how countries otherwise much alike do things so different.
We are only required to drive carefully and slowly when passing any bus, including a school bus, and we should give priority to let them pull out into moving traffic.
1569412648299.png

1569412575529.png

1569412735090.png

Back