Dash camera video captures violent I-25 crash in Denver

Sunny

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
More than I can review. ;)
This accident happened past weekend and shut down the interstate for hours.

KDVR's facebook post has this:
A citizen's video is helping police with its investigation into this terrible crash. Do you have a dash cam on your vehicle? Do you plan to get one?
And the news anchor emphasizes on importance of dash cameras.
Looks like a car merging fast clipped back of the SUV that lost control and hit the median.
Man was thrown out but luckily survived.

What brand is the dashcam?
1296p so should be based on Ambarella:
What brand dashcam.jpg

Skip to 45 secs for full video:
http://kdvr.com/2015/10/05/dash-camera-video-captures-violent-i-25-crash/

LONE TREE, Colo. -- A horrific crash that shut down Interstate 25 in Lone Tree for hours on Saturday was captured on dash camera video. It's video that's serving as an important safety reminder about the importance of buckling up.

Brian Sanniola is the driver who recorded it. He bought his camera about a year ago, hoping to protect himself against possible insurance fraud but never really thought it would record something that could help police with an investigation.

"Just seeing that is a horrific thing. You're not sure what's going to happen," he said of the accident.

The video captured a speeding driver clipping the back of another car. That sent him into the median, then airborne and onto the highway.

Law enforcement nationwide is turning to drivers with increasing regularity for dash camera video. Most drivers in the United States don't have cameras mounted to their dash, but they're very common in countries like Russia.

Jordan Levine is among a growing number of attorneys who are also praising the benefits of dashboard cameras.

"We're constantly looking for video. I'd rather have video than an eyewitness," Levine said. "It tells the story. It does away with the he said, she said thing and you can get the answer to all the questions you have."

But drivers are using the cameras for different reasons, an eye on their vehicle to make sure nothing happens when they're not around.

You don't have to search long on YouTube to find all kinds of videos showing the various benefits of the cameras: Drivers fleeing the scene of a hit-and-run, vandals keying the side of a car and vehicles running traffic lights, all caught on camera.

"Hopefully, you never have to use it, but when you do it’s there," Sanniola said.

Most important, the cameras are also capturing video that should serve as a wake-up call, an important safety reminder about what can go wrong when you don't buckle up.

"Buckle up; it can save your life," said Levine.

The driver injured in Saturday's crash was rushed to the hospital. Police have not released his name or updates on his condition.

Last edited:
doesn't look blurred out, just not great quality
a split second after the SUV hit the barrier on the left, the crashed SUV and the black one to the left of the cam car suddenly got blurred out. yet the horse trailer on the right remains clear for the entire video.

i suppose it's possible that fluids/debris from the crash (or a bug) somehow landed in exactly the right spot on the cam car's windshield, but to me it looked like the news editors blurred out the crash itself.

edit: ok, on a second watching, i guess it was something on the windshield - as the crashed suv comes to a stop ahead of the truck/horse trailer, it comes back into focus, but that blurry spot is still there.

sorry, I was talking about the pic of the camera, I hadn't seen the video before now but yes the video has been edited to obscure some detail

Looks like they blurred the part where driver is thrown out and lying on the road.

Yes, mini 0805. I thought the dot above lens is mic hole that didn't match but that was just dust/dirt.

Back