Dash Cams banned in Austria

Actually i just realized that they don't have google street view in austria.

niko said:
Need to see and understand a correct translation of that legislation (not Google translated), because at the moment we can play with words.

@ "Surveillance video FROM the car by private individuals is not permitted",
- does word "from the car" means from inside the car? Another word, if dash cam will be mounted outside the car, - in this case does not violate that legislation, same way as helmet cameras: @ "therefore, comparisons with recordings of tourists or helmet cameras are not aplicable". Just mount dash cam to the helmet, helmet to the car bonnet and this will not be a violation. Of course this is silly solution, but I just want to make a point playing with legislation words.

Also @ " ... by private individuals is not permitted ", - if I am some company manager, owner, worker etc. and driving company car for example to meet some business partner or customer in business related issues, where I am representing a company, then at that time am considered as not private individual. So, in this case I can use dash cam ?

Of course we can play with words and if even there are some gaps in law, - they will be fixed sooner or later.

You must be Irish to get that interpretation.

A Private individual is someone who is not a Police officer or security guard or a person authorized for the use of such an item. Regardless of your Job definition.

"From the car" would mean in, on, hanging from.

The only way to get the exact rule is ask the Austrian authorities We can theorize all day and it still remains just that a Theory

Mikk36 said:
It seems that it's not only Austria, where you might be prosecuted for this.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=F8ARwO7VqNQ
Judging by that video, if your camera is recording audio and a police officer stops you, you're already commiting a felony (in certain states in the USA).
The difference though: in US some states are insisting on applying old eyes-dropping/wire-tapping law to protect police or some times private citizens as well. In practice all this cases are dismissed at the end, because of there would be no jury who would convict their own kind for recording public official unlawful conduct. This would be really hard to sell and "they know it". Regardless of the effort put by prosecutor or judge, the result would always be - "not guilty". So it is used as a scare tactic, nothing more. Anyway, it only applicable to audio - video is fine as it not covered by the old laws. In our case video is the precious, not audio. So I disable audio in all my dash cams, despite the fact my state allows everything to be recorded. Even if we fantasize for a moment and someone would be convicted somehow, federal court will dismiss it as they always did. In Austria it seems they are making new law, if you can call it a law, it seems inappropriate for commission to decide such matters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had to update this interesting thread....(er...OK, I'm stalling for time also, because I really don't want to do what I have to do....work on my income tax documents).

Several recent (USA) court rulings have said that in a public place, the person being filmed (whether a cop or citizen), has no "expectation of privacy", ie, they're in a public place & can be seen by everyone anyway, so u taking a video or photo of them is OK.

This doesn't mean u can use the video for a commercial purpose, or harassment, etc....also.... I ain't no d___ lawyer either, so this is simply general info, OK?

Was planning on driving into Austria as a day trip from my summer holiday in Germany; was going to drive the grossglockener. Obviously I want to record this trip, think I will be OK?

@ Jazzist I just google searched using dashcam legality in austria as search it took me to a page on which a chap has posted a dashcam video of his 2013 holiday in austria on youtube ...Despite all the conjecture surrounding the legality I would say you would be fairly safe to go ahead and record your holiday memories......You would have to be extremely unfortunate if someone even notices that you have a dashcam in the car. Take it out when you park up and slip it in the glove box also dont forget to take sufficient cards with you ......Have a great vacation......Ipol PS if I find anything concrete I will update the post :D........youtube Dashcam-compilatie Oostenrijk ( Austria ) by Wesso 1986

@ Jazzist I forgot to add dont publish your holiday dates or even the month online IE facebook /twitter etc its an open invitation to villains....Ipol.......:D I guess I am probably trying to teach a grandmother how to suck eggs ....Now there,s an old english expression o_O from an equally old englishman.

................snip.......... trying to teach a grandmother how to suck eggs ....snip.......

u know...that brings up a picture in my mind that has just made my coffee taste very ...er....disgusting......

@ extraoneya profound apologies it was not my intention to spoil your national beverage.....I will try not to conjure up a similar picture in my mind or my glass of bordeaux will finish up in the sink...:eek: :( Ipol.....Well it is coming up 18.30 in the evening here so a glass of wine is not out of place....

I saw on TV that here in Germany the parking mode is illegal because you "observe" one spot all the time without permission to record those places. Recording and driving is in a 'grey-zone'. Like, whats not forbidden isnt illegal.
Correct me if i should be wrong but im pretty sure, thats what i saw.

Saw something this morning in the news that would apply to this topic.

In my Post #26, I mentioned how here in the USA, there's a different standard applied to shooting video then in some other countries.......now comes this court decision.

(CNN) -- Massachusetts' highest court ruled Wednesday that it is not illegal to secretly photograph underneath a person's clothing -- a practice known as "upskirting" -- prompting one prosecutor to call for a revision of state law.

The high court ruled that the practice did not violate the law because the women who were photographed while riding Boston public transportation were not nude or partially nude.

"A female passenger on a MBTA trolley who is wearing a skirt, dress, or the like covering these parts of her body is not a person who is 'partially nude,' no matter what is or is not underneath the skirt by way of underwear or other clothing," wrote Justice Margot Botsford of the state Supreme Judicial Court.

I might add for u non-US folks.....this would only apply to the State of Massachusetts

If I ever find myself riding on a boston public transport bus I must remember not to be wearing (wimmins) clothing at the time......o_O........Ipol

If I ever find myself riding on a boston public transport bus I must remember not to be wearing (wimmins) clothing at the time......o_O........Ipol
yea, I wouldn't advise it...u'd be either shot or picked up.

o_O shoot me shoot me

Back