dash cams for under $20?

crabu2

Reaction score
Country
United States
Like I've been doing for the last week, I went on ebay and just did a search for dash cam. What do I see, a bunch of "New" dash cams for under $20 with free shipping.

Come on... I'm scratching my head wondering how this can be true.. How can they sell a working dash cam so cheap, even if the quality is crap? My last power cord for my radar detector cost more than that.

Has anyone ever tried one of these? Might it be worth it to take when having to use in a rental car?

@old4570 is the king of cheap camera reviews, have a look at some of the junk he has purchased previously, don't stare into the abyss though

these entry level junk cameras start from a cost of about $5, you don't get what you don't pay for so don't expect too much

If you want to see about my cheapies click HERE and HERE For extremely basic rental/borrowed car protection a cheapie may be better than nothing if it's reliable. Mine are used for side cams and I feel they are adequate in that role though perhaps just barely. You still need good cards with these so you're not really saving a whole lot of money. The chances are not good with cheap cams and I'd not recommend them over something known to be better like the 70Mai which can be had for around $35.

Phil

Yeah ...
It's a bunch of really old tech .. Left overs in a nice wrapper ...
I was looking for a cam that was acceptable and there were a few ...
But the problem is ! There are so many , and clones of clones or copies of copies ... You just don't know what you are buying ..
As a lot of the components are mix and match .

So unless there is a stand out BRAND with genuine VIDEO on youtube ( yes there is fake video out there ) ..
It's best to shell out a little more for a known ( KNOWN ) product ..

Unless , like myself - U just like to play !
Id rather shell out $10 to $20 on a budget cam , rather than cigarettes or alcohol ..
That cam will keep me entertained for about as long as it takes some one to smoke those cigs ( well longer ) , or swill that booze ...
+ once I have fulfilled my $10 to $20 worth of fun , I may still have a functioning cam that can be passed on to someone desperate for a cam ... ( I have done that quite a few times now ) .

But if your out for serious cam protection , get a serious cam !
If you just want to play - why not ! Have fun ...

I would love to get my hands on every last cheap cam on Feebay and do a once and for all shoot out ..
Because these cheap cams really do muddy the waters .
You run the gambit of absolute rubbish , to acceptable ..
We are running out of landfill will all the junk coming off Feebay !
Oh and the Feebay sellers are not helping either , their descriptions are some times down right fraudulent ...

Viofo A118 is about the cheapest cam I would recommend , sometimes it's found for about $50 USD when discounted ..
I should probably get back on the budget cam hunt .. But I have been distracted by other interests ( RC )

Back