Dash Cams from Big Retail Stores

dashdash

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I want to purchase my dash cam from one of the more reputable "big name" stores and so I'm trying to make a list of who sells dash cams. Of course there's the obvious:

- Future Shop
- Best Buy
- London Drugs
- Costco
-Walmart

Has anyone seen dash cams anywhere else?

Doubt you'll find "the best" choices at any of those unfortunately just yet. We hope to help change that in time. Fully Informed and Online is your best bet.
This. BestBuy USA has a few, but they are junk. Summit Racing has a few as well also junk. Along with the junk and even if you find some good stuff you will be paying some serious mark up from a retail store sometimes.

@dashdash, if you read up here at DCT about some of the trusted vendors and order from one of them you will not only end up with a more reliable, better performing dash cam but you could end up paying less for it than buying a "generic" cheapo one from a Big Box store in Canada. One day great dash cams will become a common consumer product you can purchase at your local Best Buy but for now they are really kind of a "niche" product that hasn't really gone mainstream just yet. The only drawback to buying online might be having to wait for it for awhile and having to send it back if it should have a problem but the better vendors will stand behind what they sell. Some of these good vendors are in North America and on eBay and some good ones are in Asia. Spend a little time looking at the vendors and feedback and see what others have to say and as a new member here at DCT spend a little more time reviewing the threads to figure out the best camera for your needs and budget. As I'm sure you'll come to see, pretty much all of us will likely offer you this same advice. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to purchase my dash cam from one of the more reputable "big name" stores and so I'm trying to make a list of who sells dash cams. Of course there's the obvious:

- Future Shop
- Best Buy
- London Drugs
- Costco
-Walmart

Has anyone seen dash cams anywhere else?
The more people that get involved, the more you pay. Factory, Importer, middle man (eg big box), then finally you the consumer. 3 places your money has to support before you get your camera.

Smaller online/local retailers are your better solution. Warranty is better and handled in Canada, price is much better also as the overhead is low. Product knowledge also translates into a better product as the retailer is out for a good name and wants positive word of mouth.

Ask some tech questions to any big box stores.... Usually they are not well versed in any product they are selling.

For me, the issue isn't the money but rather the credibility of the store and the distance I have to overcome to get to it. I live in a pretty remote location, so if I drive out to a big town, I want to be sure that its not from a store that's selling fake knockoffs or will shut down before my return thingy date expires. Which is the issue with buying online, one generally can't return a product if it's bought online.

For me, the issue isn't the money but rather the credibility of the store and the distance I have to overcome to get to it. I live in a pretty remote location, so if I drive out to a big town, I want to be sure that its not from a store that's selling fake knockoffs or will shut down before my return thingy date expires. Which is the issue with buying online, one generally can't return a product if it's bought online.

You could always check to see if Amazon has a delivery Locker in your area.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201117850

If you buy from a known business you will have full warranty and return if you some how get a lemon.
Ask around.. Word of mouth is the best advertising!

Like many of stated before me, a lot of the products sold in big name retail stores such as BestBuy and Future shop are mediocre at best. If you are comfortable with purchasing online, there are many trusted vendors on this forum that will stand behind their products.

With the responses you see here by the reputable dash cam online retailers here in North America, just like us at BlackBoxed.ca, you can see that we all care very much about our customers. Ask anyone here on this forum and you'll find that we will give you a much better customer experience than big box stores because we are focused on the dash cams we sell.

Many of us provide warranty and return policies that exceed the big box stores. For example, we provide a one year warranty on all of the dash cams we sell and will replace it with no hassle.

Kelvin

Back