dashcam 20 will arrive on 3/11/14

lkwan78

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Real f500lHd
yeah!

i have bought dvr-027 and f500lhd thru the links included on this site. i,m certain they werent the clones i was testing. i aslo bought a finevu cr-500hd.

i didnt like any of them. the best dashcam i have used to achieve the best quality video was with a iphone 4s with isymdvr. in the end the problem with that is constantly charging it and i never had it ready because i was always in fear it would get stolen!

i,m back to try another deidcated solution with the garmin dashcam 20. since i nought it with amazon prime. i can try out without losing money.

i had my eye on the new mivue 568, but even ebay doesnt have them yet.

i will let ya,ll know what i think of it on wed.

When did you place your order with Amazon? I'm still waiting for mine, no updates when it might get shipped.

yeah!

i have bought dvr-027 and f500lhd thru the links included on this site. i,m certain they werent the clones i was testing. i aslo bought a finevu cr-500hd.

i didnt like any of them. the best dashcam i have used to achieve the best quality video was with a iphone 4s with isymdvr. in the end the problem with that is constantly charging it and i never had it ready because i was always in fear it would get stolen!

i,m back to try another deidcated solution with the garmin dashcam 20. since i nought it with amazon prime. i can try out without losing money.

i had my eye on the new mivue 568, but even ebay doesnt have them yet.

i will let ya,ll know what i think of it on wed.
So, did you ever receive yours? What do you think?
I received an update from Amazon today regarding mine. Should be receiving it this coming Wednesday (March 19th).

So far the things i like
• Reliable. Everytime i start my car. I can hear it beep alerting me that it has started to record.

I don't like
• The Mount- The ball mount make gives the user to position it a lot of angles, but i can't put it as close to glass i wanted. It is spring and has only gotten to 85 in Houston, tx. My dash cam 20 has already fallen once from windshield. Garmin needs a better suction cup!
• Doesn't allow user to choose clip length.

Video Quality
It is better than the cameras I have used in the past. But License plates are still only readable when moving slowly and directly in front of me. One of these days resolution will be good enough to capture plates from the sides. i will test my gopro at 60fps to see if it is even possible.

on 3-19-14, I was driving on the freeway and i dozed off and almost rear ended the car in front of me. I think my Prius' accident warning tried to alert me of a impeding collision. I remember hearing a beep. I woke up and stopped in time and avoided the accident. But i'm not sure what happened.

It was recording, so i wanted to review the video, but by 3-21-14 my clip had already been deleted!

I spent two days trying to unerase the file, but it is gone. Oh well...

I have a 32gb chip in the dash cam, and since I have the G Sensor ON, it protects too many files from being overwritten. Eventually you will have little to no space on your SD. Not sure how to get around that other than, formatting card often to get rid of old files.

I received mine last Wednesday as well. Frankly, video quality is disappointing. I have previously tried Lukas 7900 and DOD LS330W and while these two are still very far from perfect, the video off them looks so much better. Sent it back yesterday.

I received mine last Wednesday as well. Frankly, video quality is disappointing. I have previously tried Lukas 7900 and DOD LS330W and while these two are still very far from perfect, the video off them looks so much better. Sent it back yesterday.

Thanks for sharing your experience.
Regarding LK-7900, you said it far from perfect. May I ask what would you change / add about video quality in Lukas to be more perfect in your view ?

Sent it back after less than a week is not a good sign.
How's video quality compared to the Blackvue DR500GW? (or at least the sample videos: http://dashcamtalk.com/blackvue-dr500gw-hd/#Sample_Videos)

Sent it back after less than a week is not a good sign.
How's video quality compared to the Blackvue DR500GW? (or at least the sample videos: http://dashcamtalk.com/blackvue-dr500gw-hd/#Sample_Videos)
For the most part, I found video to be too blurry compared to Lukas and DOD units that I used. In regards to DR500GW samples, Garmin's I think video is also lacking. I have never owned DR500GW, so I can't comment on how Garmin compares to that for my personal use.

Sadly, I did not take any samples.

The bitrate on Garmin is around 8,000 kbps, which I think is a bit higher than Lukas on lowest setting (around 7,000), but Lukas also has 9,000 and 11,000 kbps options. DOD is at around 15,000 kbps. Hardware wise (lens, chipset), not sure what Garmin is using. I think Garmin went for the ease of use angle and are under impression that most users will use the included 4 GB MicroSD card and will never upgrade it to something bigger. I'm hoping that Garmin will improve in future generations, but something tells me that this is a trial field for them and if it doesn't sell too well, it will get abandoned altogether. Although I do think that they need to keep on trying other things as they are losing more and more GPS customers to smartphones.

Back