Dashcam 45 died

aviography

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Bought an opened but (supposedly) unused unit in late December 2017, worked fine both initially from the standard power cord then the Garmin park-mode cable.

The unit suddenly stopped working yesterday afternoon 5 months after installation, was working fine in the morning during a 1.5 hour drive beeping when encountering red-light camera locations in the GPS database, but not on the way home. when I pressed to record when a motor cycle flew by us at significantly higher speed than the highway speed we were going.

I took the unit inside after I got home, it did power up so I powered it back down before reconnecting to the cable in the car, it still wouldn't power up, now it won't power up at all with cigarette cable connected, press and held the power button for 12 seconds according to Garmin website.

Since I didn't buy the unit directly from a store so no bill of sale, doubt Garmin will honor any warranty coverage.

Any suggestions from the forum members here?

Thanks in advance.

Things to try:
1. Different power supply
2. Another card or try without card
3. Connect to Garmin Express and reflash firmware
4. Call Garmin support - depending on when it was manufactured it may still be in warranty

Thanks.
1. Tried both the Garmin cigarette plug-in cable and the Garmin USB cable which came inside the dash cam box, unit won't turn on with either, so the park-mode cable in the car, cigarette plug-in cable and USB cable all failed to power up the dash-cam
2. Tried another MicroSD card and without card, again no response from unit
3. See 1 above, can't wake up the unit
4. Will call Garmin support in the morning, no date code on the unit or on the box, although Garmin can probably tell by when I registered the unit with Garmin Express to show time frame of my ownership.

I'm 99% sure Garmin will replace it, you just have to give them the serial number. They'll ask you to mail it, and when they receive it will send a refurbished one

No, they won't send you anything.

The same thing happened to me: Dash Cam 45 died about a year after retail purchase, moderate use in a temperate climate, no previous symptoms, it just died.

Garmin offered me an "exchange" for almost the same price as it cost new! :meh:

At least you'll get to speak to someone in North America without the usual extreme delays and BS about "higher than expected call volumes".

None of the reset steps worked, the tech implied by his tone and little snorts that the device software should have been updated etc. Thanks, but I bought the device to use as a dash cam, not to contribute to Garmin's database on users. LOL

It was a good chance for Garmin to demonstrate customer loyalty (yes, it is a two-way street), and replace the device with a new one for no charge. After all, the defective one is probably a business write-off and how much do they cost from the Chinese supplier anyway?:rolleyes:

Instead, they've just lost a customer, and I'll share my experience here and elsewhere where it loses them far more business than one lousy dash cam would have cost; I wonder if their bean-counters can figure that out? :unsure:

Last edited:
Back