Dashcam 46/56/66 sd card formatting question

Kaspiic

Reaction score
Country
Latvia
Hello!

Question about card formatting: how often you format your cards?
Asking because: I have Kingston Endurance 128 GB card, Everything working great. But after one month video bit rate start to go down (file size reducing) and after some more time dash cam pop up alert- that my sd card is bad and needs to be replaced (com00n- ENDURANCE card with lots and lots of recording time!!!)....
After card format in device everything is good again- full bit rate, no warning and so on. I guess- again for one month... Also noticed cardformat folder/file on sd card from where daschcam take format time.

I am using SanDisk High Endurance 256GB (SDSQQNR-256G-AN6IA) I formatted it (in camera) maybe twice in a few months. No problems with DC 56.

I use SanDisk Extreme Pro 128GB's. Format every 2 to 3 weeks with no issues with both 56's.

Last edited:
(sorry about my English again!) ;)

Again about card formatting... I don`t know if it is related to formatting - but there is the story:

I formatted card few months ago after previous problems - everything was OK. But then warning showed up again: card is reaching end of life and must be changed SOON (or something like that). Card is few months old PERFORMANCE class card for dashcams!
And then- after that message - another warning that says: THIS card is BAD and can`t be recorded anymore and must be replaced NOW!!!!! Aaaaaand.... Thats it! Turned dash cam OFF. When I pressed power ON - camera starts to loop-booting without any chance to format that card. When I ejected card - camera booted normaly- but says, that there is no card (that is normal). In result I was on road with dead dash cam!

The only solution was to put that card in my tablet (or mobile phone) and format it there. After that camera accepted this card- formatted it - and now I can record again without any problems.

Ok- sh*t happens - there can be some errors with recording on sd cards - but it is NOT normal when camera just won`t start if "bad" card is inserted. Thinking to write to GARMIN support again about that.

(sorry about my English again!) ;)

Again about card formatting... I don`t know if it is related to formatting - but there is the story:

I formatted card few months ago after previous problems - everything was OK. But then warning showed up again: card is reaching end of life and must be changed SOON (or something like that). Card is few months old PERFORMANCE class card for dashcams!
And then- after that message - another warning that says: THIS card is BAD and can`t be recorded anymore and must be replaced NOW!!!!! Aaaaaand.... Thats it! Turned dash cam OFF. When I pressed power ON - camera starts to loop-booting without any chance to format that card. When I ejected card - camera booted normaly- but says, that there is no card (that is normal). In result I was on road with dead dash cam!

The only solution was to put that card in my tablet (or mobile phone) and format it there. After that camera accepted this card- formatted it - and now I can record again without any problems.

Ok- sh*t happens - there can be some errors with recording on sd cards - but it is NOT normal when camera just won`t start if "bad" card is inserted. Thinking to write to GARMIN support again about that.

Maybe your SD card is not in good condition... Anyway, I think you should formatting the sd card when you save your videos, or minimum once a month.

Back