Dashcam 55 only in American English

skincat

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Hi, after the last update (3.5) my dashcam only start in American English language. And when always power on, start basic setup (select language, Km/h...).
Any ideas to solve them?
Thanks

PS: when i was connect the dashcam to my Mac, before this issure, I saw 2 unit: GARMIN & NO NAME. No name is my SD unit, and GARMIN is the internal unit. Now this unit is blank... Can someone send me a copy of this unit? Tnks

Last edited:
exactly the same issue for me, no voice control and always startup requires basic setup

Having the same issue as well with basic setup prompt whenever I start the camera. Updated to 3.70, having the same issue there. Contacted Garmin just now. Hopefully they will have some info about the issue.

Mine seemed to require language setting on each power up at first. However, I was doing initial testing inside house (no GPS reception). After I took it outside (whilst powered on) and waited for GPS to get 5 bars (several minutes required initially, thereafter much faster signal acquisition) the language setting now remains even after power cycles.

Worth a try? I updated to 3.7 right at the start, via VIRB app on my phone.

Peter

Reactions: Fez
Mine seemed to require language setting on each power up at first. However, I was doing initial testing inside house (no GPS reception). After I took it outside (whilst powered on) and waited for GPS to get 5 bars (several minutes required initially, thereafter much faster signal acquisition) the language setting now remains even after power cycles.

Worth a try? I updated to 3.7 right at the start, via VIRB app on my phone.

Peter
This fixed it for me. Was doing the testing inside as well. Thanks a bunch!

Last edited:
Any news on this issue?

I have the same problem having used a Mac.
I have tried to go outside with my 65W and it still won’t work.
It seems like the internal memory is bugged.
No camera warning, no voice control, new setup every time I start it up and only Amerikan English possible.

I did plug it into a windows PC and the “Garmin” drive just showed loads of scrambled files with 0kb that couldn’t be opened.

I did get an error massage from my Mac saying something like Drive couldn’t be repaired the first time I plugged it in.

When you go outside, with camera running on external power (not internal battery) and normally recording. How many GPS satellite strength bars do you see on top left of screen? It may take some considerable time to get initial full GPS lock if it has never been used yet. It needs to locate itself on the planet. Has it ever worked normally? It might be that the flash program memory is corrupted somehow. If it won't let you run the firmware update then you probably need to return it under warranty. Maybe return it to the retail seller for replacement?

I think your issue is something more than just lack of GPS lock unfortunately.

Peter

Yes. I think the Mac somehow brakes the internal memory when initiating the drive.

It worked perfectly fine before I plugged it into the MacBook and updated the speedcameras.

I've not updated my speed cams yet. I have seen quite a few reports on here of folks suffering bad issues when they tried to update the speed cams. Not sure if it's just a UK thing?
Luckily I can't do it as my XP pc doesn't allow me to run Express.

I would like to get the SC updated, but frankly I dare not even try until I see that others are generally doing it without any issues. I would have to borrow a newer pc to do it anyway. Contact Garmin. It will be interesting to hear what they say. If there is a bug causing this, we need to know for sure and what they are doing to fix it.

Good luck

Peter

I've got the same issues 2 times ... trying to update it with my mac and then, it somehow crashed the internal memory and the dashcam stayed in American English.

I've had some exchanges with Garmin and they said the memory was somehow corrupted... So I got the dash cam replaced 2 times by Amazon.

Now I never plug in again the Dashcam on my mac ! I use the Virb app to do the updates and use a SD card reader to look at the videos on my mac.
So far so good with this solution, no more problems.

Hi Tomsuits,

I am glad I am not the only one with this problem. Nevertheless, Garmin has to do something. It cannot be that all Mac users won’t be able to update the speed cameras...

I hope this gets fixed soon.

Well .. I Bought the dashcam in December 2017 and the problem was already here so ... Yeah it's a shame but i would not be betting on the fact that they fix this issue asap.

Another annoying thing .. I contacted them and they do not intend to sell the new polarized lens cover in France in the coming months .. And it's impossible to find somewhere else than on the US Garmin store

Hi Tomsuits,

I am glad I am not the only one with this problem. Nevertheless, Garmin has to do something. It cannot be that all Mac users won’t be able to update the speed cameras...

I hope this gets fixed soon.

I'm not 100% convinced it only happens with macs! It would be good to hear from any folks who have successfully updated their Garmin 55 speed cams via a PC. I daren't even try it now (UK get free speed cam updates). It might be a bug affecting everyone who tries the speedcam updates!??

Peter

I'm not 100% convinced it only happens with macs! It would be good to hear from any folks who have successfully updated their Garmin 55 speed cams via a PC. I daren't even try it now (UK get free speed cam updates). It might be a bug affecting everyone who tries the speedcam updates!??

Peter

I do not use speedcams on the dashcam, hence I don't try to update them and still have this issue

I did have a speed camera subscription for a year and was able to update it without problems.
I did not renew it because it didn't add any benefit. Maybe it was just the area I often drive - I haven't gotten a single alert.

As best I can discover, there are no reliable speed-cam databases for dashcams in the US to use. Several other brands have this same issue even when they work well in other countries. There are phone apps which do this and they are probably a better choice to use here right now.

Phil

Just got my replacement 65W from Garmin by post.
It was already on 3.70.
I was brave and plugged it into my Mac. 3 updates(Language file, speech recognition and Speed cameras). It all worked fine.
Unplugged from Mac and plugged into a regular wall socked USB.
It said updating and it is working now!!!!!
Let’s see how it will behave after the next update....

Tried to update to 3.80 with my Mac. Not a good idea....broken again. Another! Replacement on the way!

I've experienced a similar issue. Like I've done many times before I plugged my Garmin Dash Cam 55 via USB into my Linux computer and just saw hieroglyphics from the SD card. After rebooting the Garmin it looked fine and I copied my saved video etc. Next day in the car it worked like normal except no response to voice. After finding this forum post I also noticed I'm stuck on only seeing American English. I've run a software update, formatted the SD card, and even a restore still no voice and still only American English.

Back