Dashcam adhesive

jyc93

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi all, I know this topic has been discussed many times here, but please bear with me as I explain myself. My setup involves mounting my blackvue behind the mirror. The combination of the curvature of the windscreen and the thickness of the adhesive deters the tape from properly adhering. 28054237_10155620495528995_1756203002_n.png Note that only the darker shade (50%) of the tape was adhered properly, meaning it is susceptible to fallout from the Australian sun during the afternoon. As a result of many dangling recordings, I got myself some 3M VHB dual lock tape. Overall, the dashcam sticks on really well as the contact area has increased, however, I'm concerned about the "appearance" of the outcome as it is more conspicuous compared to before. 28053968_10155620464078995_1610905531_n.jpg (white adhesive) Therefore, I'm considering switching to 3M VHB tape (scotch extreme mounting tape) as it is black both side and would make it less noticeable. The question I would like to ask is whether the 3M VHB double sided tape would partially adhere as well as it is similar in thickness compared to the original tape?

*Borrowed the first picture from google

I have been using Dual Lock tape since 2012 and havent had a camera stolen yet After all your toll tag is also white so why worry. I also have one camera held on with the adhesive pad that comes with it and yes it doesnt completely stick like yours but hasnt fallen off. The area of the tape is exactly the same as the sticky pad on mine. If you take the camera out of the mount you will find you can put your finger inside the ring and push it on harder without damaging anything. What car do you have I have two VW's and have no troubles and I live on the Sunny Coast where its been 35 this week

The usual reason that they fall off is because you havent cleaned the surfaces correctly. Both the plate on the camera and the glass should be cleaned thoroughly with meths before applying the camera.

it's a shame the plastic parts of the mount aren't made with just a touch of "give" in them, enabling you to get the entire area of the pad to adhere to a slightly curved windscreen. I have a modified Roadhawk mount holding my rear cam to the glass and there's a large area of the middle of the pad that doesn't stick to the window, looking like an air-bubble through the glass

I have the opposite problem though, my car's for sale, I want to remove the dashcam, and despite the portion of non-sticking pad, it's still VERY firmly stuck in!!
(no austrailian heat here!)

Turps or meth will dissolve the glue or if the pad is still there a piece of fishing line worked across it will take most of it off

I have been using Dual Lock tape since 2012 and havent had a camera stolen yet After all your toll tag is also white so why worry. I also have one camera held on with the adhesive pad that comes with it and yes it doesnt completely stick like yours but hasnt fallen off. The area of the tape is exactly the same as the sticky pad on mine. If you take the camera out of the mount you will find you can put your finger inside the ring and push it on harder without damaging anything. What car do you have I have two VW's and have no troubles and I live on the Sunny Coast where its been 35 this week

The usual reason that they fall off is because you havent cleaned the surfaces correctly. Both the plate on the camera and the glass should be cleaned thoroughly with meths before applying the camera.

Thank you so much for your reply Hillbilly, after all, it was your numerous posts that influenced my decision to get the dual lock tape :) I've heard that the new blackvue adhesive isn't as strong as the old one, since it no longer is a 3M product. The stock adhesive pad that you are using atm possibly is a 3M VHB tape, I'll look into it in the future ( I don't want to go through the removal process when I've only just put the tape on, hopefully it'll be less of an eyesore as time goes by). During critical temperature, the adhesive can separate from both the mount or the window, so I think it has more to do with the temperature resistance than the preparation as the tape was stuck on the mount when purchased brand new.

it's a shame the plastic parts of the mount aren't made with just a touch of "give" in them, enabling you to get the entire area of the pad to adhere to a slightly curved windscreen. I have a modified Roadhawk mount holding my rear cam to the glass and there's a large area of the middle of the pad that doesn't stick to the window, looking like an air-bubble through the glass

I have the opposite problem though, my car's for sale, I want to remove the dashcam, and despite the portion of non-sticking pad, it's still VERY firmly stuck in!!
(no austrailian heat here!)

I agree completely, its hard to get full adhesion when the parts just don't match in shape. To improve the contact area, they should ship with a thicker pad instead. Unless yours is a 3M VHB tape, I doubt they will last 1 hour here haha :p

Oh come on I live in Queensland and its been in the mid 30's in our area for a week and none of the 4 cameras we use have fallen off . My sons car sits in the street from 5 am till 3pm every day and it hasnt come off. The 3M dual lock has a temp rating to 93C I bought some replacement pads and have put the two cameras in my wagon on with them and they have been there for a week so far Will see at the weekend as have to got to Brisbane for 3 days

It's wise to be sure your screen is absolutely and perfectly cleaned before trying to stick anything to it

Don't you get vibrations? As per my experience Dual-lock doesn't make a super tight connection.

I believe there are 3 types of density for dual lock 170,250 and 400. Ive yet to try mine but I’m already thinking of removing it and swapping to a black VHB tape hahahaha

No if you fit two identical pices together it stays really solid I use the black hiught temp stuff and if you push it together properly its rock solid.
Unfortunately the glue is white and so is a bit obvious

I believe there are 3 types of density for dual lock 170,250 and 400. Ive yet to try mine but I’m already thinking of removing it and swapping to a black VHB tape hahahaha

I've tried only the 400 stems version, with my Mobius in the rear, still had a bit of play after locking in.

I've tried only the 400 stems version, with my Mobius in the rear, still had a bit of play after locking in.

I just checked my footage with my 250 grid version stuck to the windscreen, maybe it is a tiny bit shakier, but overall the quality is acceptable. I think 400 should provide the strongest strength.

I'd used the 400 variant recently in the front too, totally forgot about that. Had two Mobius camera stuck to each other and even with the narrow lenses, remember not seeing any vibrations. My experience in the rear was different, probably had something to do with being mounted directly to a metal panel.

My rear camera in the wagon is attached to a piece of Colourbond metal flashing material which is bent to slide over the plastic trim on the roof lining Makes it easily adjustable and has never fallen off20180216_110035[1].jpg20180216_110035[1].jpg

Last edited:
Back