Dashcam and black TINTED (black film on the windows), which % maximum to see through ?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

Do you use a dashcam with dark windows ?

Can you tell me if your dashcam can "see" through ?

Are your windows very dark and your dashcam very good for night vision ?

Thank you.

Hello,

Do you use a dashcam with dark windows ?

Can you tell me if your dashcam can "see" through ?

Are your windows very dark and your dashcam very good for night vision ?

Thank you.

How hard is tinted film ( % ), side or rear ?

Hello,

Thank you, this is what I want to know before choosing how dark will be my windows...

I want to know if some people have problems with very dark windows and their dashcam ?

Thank you.

Hello,

Thank you, this is what I want to know before choosing how dark will be my windows...

I want to know if some people have problems with very dark windows and their dashcam ?

Thank you.

The "harder" tint, the higher +EV value you need to set in order to see more, but this will affect whole spectre of recording day / night. It's only by test n try you have to play with EV depending on tinted film % and this way chose what works best for you. There are no so rule on this.

The "harder" tint, the higher +EV value you need to set in order to see more, but this will affect whole spectre of recording day / night. It's only by test n try you have to play with EV depending on tinted film % and this way chose what works best for you. There are no so rule on this.
This. It's a bit of trial and error depending on how dark your windows are and and night time It would effect it a bit of course.
It was asked here before, and at one time, and I did shoot a video comparing a G1W and Wf1 through a back tinted window, but I can't find the thread or video unfortunately

just cut a hole in the tinting.

just cut a hole in the tinting.
Not something I would recommend.
Unless it was dead on it would look a little rough.
If cheaper tint is used cutting it might cause the area around to crack.
While the OP seems to be using after market tint some cars here come stock with darkened back window a factory option called Privacy Glass witch is where the stock glass is actually tinted and not a film

I've experimented with using spare dash cams on the rear driver's side window of my extended cab pick-up truck which has a very dark factory tint. Increasing the EV setting on the camera works very well in most situations. The video comes out looking completely normal and well exposed. I like that the dark tint makes the camera virtually invisible from outside the vehicle and it has been useful to capture footage to the left side of the truck at times. The downside to having a dark tint in front of the camera is that it is really acting as if it were a neutral density filter so it can have the effect of forcing the camera to use a slower shutter speed when the DSP analyzes the scene.

I've experimented with using spare dash cams on the rear driver's side window of my extended cab pick-up truck which has a very dark factory tint. Increasing the EV setting on the camera works very well in most situations. The video comes out looking completely normal and well exposed. I like that the dark tint makes the camera virtually invisible from outside the vehicle and it has been useful to capture footage to the left side of the truck at times. The downside to having a dark tint in front of the camera is that it is really acting as if it were a neutral density filter so it can have the effect of forcing the camera to use a slower shutter speed when the DSP analyzes the scene.

Would you mind listing the cams you've used, and can you comment on quality at night?

The DR32 and the GT300W. Night time performance will be compromised to some extent, such as poor shadow detail. As previously mentioned the darker glass will decrease shutter shutter speeds, especially at night and this will lead to increased motion blur. I only use cameras in my tinted side windows because they are ancillary. It is probably not advisable to use dash cams behind dark tinted front windshields if optimum image quality is what you are after. Nevertheless, it's always worth experimenting as your experience may vary due to the various factors at play.

The DR32 and the GT300W. Night time performance will be compromised to some extent, such as poor shadow detail. As previously mentioned the darker glass will decrease shutter shutter speeds, especially at night and this will lead to increased motion blur. I only use cameras in my tinted side windows because they are ancillary. It is probably not advisable to use dash cams behind dark tinted front windshields if optimum image quality is what you are after. Nevertheless, it's always worth experimenting as your experience may vary due to the various factors at play.

Thank you. I have a dash cam for the front windshield, but they are not tinted. I am now considering one for my rear window which is tinted. I understand that performance and quality will be diminished so I'm just trying to weigh out whether its worth it or not to pursue.

Thank you. I have a dash cam for the front windshield, but they are not tinted. I am now considering one for my rear window which is tinted. I understand that performance and quality will be diminished so I'm just trying to weigh out whether its worth it or not to pursue.

You're welcome.

I wouldn't be without a rear dash cam now that I've been running one for awhile. If it were me I would install a rear camera even if the performance was less than one might hope for. Better than not having it.

Here's another thought. Why not temporarily install your front dash cam in the rear windshield and drive around for a period of time and see what happens? That should give you a good idea of what to expect.

Interesting, I hope future DUAL CHANNEL cams will have a separate EV setting for the rear camera for those that have tinted windows. This way you can leave the front camera normal, and adjust the back to compensate.

Interesting, I hope future DUAL CHANNEL cams will have a separate EV setting for the rear camera for those that have tinted windows. This way you can leave the front camera normal, and adjust the back to compensate.

A9 chipset supports this so I'm sure we'll see it happen at some stage

There's also the dual processor dual cam model coming soon which will be able to support this as well

There's also the dual processor dual cam model coming soon which will be able to support this as well
is this your cam or someone elses? if not yours who is doing this dual one??

is this your cam or someone elses? if not yours who is doing this dual one??

Not ours but one of the solution providers that support a few different brands already, not sure which brands it might get sold under but no doubt someone will run with this model as it looks to be a premium solution

I have one, with variable EV fitted to the factory tinted glass of my hatchback. It's set to +2 EV & works fine. BRIGHT sunlight makes it a tad to bright. But that's OK by me, as it's performing better in lower light levels.

NB suction cup mounts won't work on the tinted glass. I had to add double sided closed cell foam tape to make it stay in place. the only problem I've noticed, is that when the hatch wobbles over bumps on the road, the video also wobbles, in time!

david

I use a GT680w as a rear facing camera with the EV upped to compensate for the darker image due to the factory VW privacy glass, and hopefully these videos will give you an idea of what is possible:

How do you change the EV setting.?

Back