DashCam Battery Back Up- Switching power supply and charging ✅

ozzdownunder

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi, is there a 12volt DC switching power supply, that when switching of the ignition key/power it not only switches to a 'back up battery' but 'when driving' it will issolate and charge the backup battery while still keeping a constant 12VDC power to the dash-cam (via a converter 12 to 5v) I prefer that there is no power drawn from the back-up battery while the car is active. There is a pcb eg >> (See attachment) XH-M350 Backup Battery Switching Module DC12V 150W Automatic Switching Battery Power Module but it is not at all clear if this will charge the back-up battery while driving. http://www.icstation.com/m350-backu...c-switching-battery-power-module-p-13096.html I would prefer a 12VDC back up battery/power bank as these tend to charge quicker imop.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 2.04.38 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 2.04.38 pm.png
    372.3 KB · Views: 19
It can be done as simply as using a DPDT relay with an AGM battery, but most folks want something more "plug-and-play" in nature. This would be a DIY thing, though not tough to do.

There's a discussion of this with some diagrams and such somewhere in this forum, but I need more coffee before I attempt deeper thinking today ;)

Phil

Or simply a relay, so when it has an open circuit from the accessory circuit. It switches to the auxiliary supply.

Use a DC-DC charger to charge up auxiliary batteries. This is run of the mill stuff for caravan owners.

Fridge is powered from car while driving and auxiliary batteries are charged. Then switches to auxiliary battery when parked.

Get the bits from Jaycar.

My setup: DC-DC charger (2 in parallel at bottom of photo) for charging auxiliary batteries while driving. Just above is a MPPT solar charger so while camping for more than a few days solar cells charge up the auxiliary batteries. Whether it is a fridge, phones or cameras plugged in we have power to live the life of Riley! It's not quite plug & play, but it's not far off. The more recent controllers will Bluetooth power input & output to your phone. Look at a few caravan forums for other people's setups. Putting in a little bit of your own effort designing your setup you can have anything you want. We can run our fridge for 7 days off auxiliary batteries if needed, so plenty to run a camera.
normal__MG_2513.jpg

Back