Dashcam Battery Drain

jasper502

Reaction score
I have a 2014 IS250. I bought a Blackvue dashcam and I added a Power Magic Pro battery cut-off to stop draining the battery in parking mode (recording while parked). I replaced a Lukas model which I thought was defective because I was having my battery drain after only 24hrs of the car sitting idle.

I installed the new PMP and the problem remained. If I unplug the dashcam I can park long term and no battery issues. I am fine if I drive each day but if I leave it on and not drive the next day it will be a rough start (almost not starting) or the battery is dead completely. It's a newer battery and again when the dashcam is disabled no battery issues at all.

I have the dashcam hooked up as per the attached photos. I took a volt meter and confirmed which fuses were dead or live with the car off.

Regardless if I have the accessory wire wrong the PMP and the old Lukas version should have killed the power to the dashcam. I have tried other fuses but no matter which I use I end up with a dead battery.

I have the exact same system in my Dodge Caravan - no issues from day one. So I am either missing something obvious or there is a Lexus specific issue here.

Open to any ideas or suggestions.

Thanks,

Dan

Attachments

• Power Magic.png
    Power Magic.png
    182.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5671.jpg
    IMG_5671.jpg
    273.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5668.jpg
    IMG_5668.jpg
    379.9 KB · Views: 18
Did you ever figure this out? I don't have a *precisely-same* issue as you, but after some exasperated experimentation, I'm still ending up with a battery that needs jumping after I leave the car undriven for less than 24 hours.

I just bought a power magic pro, so I haven't tried all scenarios yet. I would troubleshoot by setting the timer to the lowest setting (I think it's 6hrs), and see if it indeed shuts off power to the cam. If it doesn't, then the PMP is likely defective. If it does, then perhaps the voltage cut off feature is defective. Have you tried the 12.5V setting yet? If problem persists after running those two tests and verifying the fuse taps are going into right fuses, I would just return the PMP.

I just bought a power magic pro, so I haven't tried all scenarios yet. I would troubleshoot by setting the timer to the lowest setting (I think it's 6hrs), and see if it indeed shuts off power to the cam. If it doesn't, then the PMP is likely defective. If it does, then perhaps the voltage cut off feature is defective. Have you tried the 12.5V setting yet? If problem persists after running those two tests and verifying the fuse taps are going into right fuses, I would just return the PMP.
I already had the PMPEZ set to the 12.5V, but your suggestion to set it to 6hrs seems to be keeping it from draining too much. Thanks!

Back