Dashcam Battery Pack charging time

KPK

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I have installed Viofo A139 with 2 channels dashcam and the "It's Cell" BI-750 battery pack in my 2017 Toyota Camry. According to the manufacturer's website, it should only take 37minutes to fully charge the battery. But my battery pack says, it will take 1hr and 30minutes to fully charge the battery. See attached photo. How can I improve the charging time?

ItsCell Battery Manager.jpg

Probably not a lot you can do unless you can replace or adjust the BMS (battery management system). But 0.7C is about as fast as you want to charge a lithium battery, so 90 minutes is about the right maximum rate, and it needs to stop charging when full unlike a lead acid battery which will self manage, within reason. 37 minutes is too quick. A Victron lithium battery's recommend rate is 0.5C it can go a lot higher but you would not want to do this long term and these are very expensive batteries. Their BMS will manage a higher load within a range of parameters.

Probably not a lot you can do unless you can replace or adjust the BMS (battery management system). But 0.7C is about as fast as you want to charge a lithium battery, so 90 minutes is about the right maximum rate, and it needs to stop charging when full unlike a lead acid battery which will self manage, within reason. 37 minutes is too quick. A Victron lithium battery's recommend rate is 0.5C it can go a lot higher but you would not want to do this long term and these are very expensive batteries. Their BMS will manage a higher load within a range of parameters.
So why does the manufacturer's website say, it should only take 37minutes to fully charge the battery. (https://www.linelink.com.au/products/yk-labs-its-cell-bi-750-battery-pack-for-dash-cams)

If you are charging using the cigar lighter cable then that is maximum speed, should be 37 minutes via the fuse box…..

'So why does the manufacturer's website say, it should only take 37minutes to fully charge the battery.'

A job for ACCC in Australia

Batteries, solar panels, it seems to be a common theme.

Just recently on another forum we were discussing a solar panel that based on their figures which would produce 402 watts per square metre. A solar panel of that type would be lucky to produce 150 watts per square metre.

I believe that probably not one person on this forum has actually tested the time it takes to charge a battery.

I would very much like to be proven wrong.

If you are charging using the cigar lighter cable then that is maximum speed, should be 37 minutes via the fuse box…..
It has been hardwired to the fuse box ( ACC1 & ACC2)

It has been hardwired to the fuse box ( ACC1 & ACC2)
Have you set the charge rate to high ("Flick the power switch on to H")?

Maybe it needs to be cooler then? 33 is not hot, but it is a bit warm considering the somewhat excessive charge rate.

I have benchmark marked the Waeco fridge thermometer to a couple of mercury thermometers and it is within 0.5°C.

These particular AAq batteries are 3 years old & are starting to get to their maximum cycle life. Typically around mid 40°C towards the latter state of charging & briefly reach 52.7°C when they are charged. Ambient temperature 21°C

If you are really worried about excess heat mount a Noctua fan next to the hardware in the car.

IMG_49519.jpg

Noctua fan on dashcam.
IMG_141819180~2.jpg

I have benchmark marked the Waeco fridge thermometer to a couple of mercury thermometers and it is within 0.5°C.

These particular AAq batteries are 3 years old & are starting to get to their maximum cycle life. Typically around mid 40°C towards the latter state of charging & briefly reach 52.7°C when they are charged. Ambient temperature 21°C

If you are really worried about excess heat mount a Noctua fan next to the hardware in the car.

View attachment 58010

Noctua fan on dashcam.
View attachment 58011
My thread got nothing to with fridge. It's about dash cam battery pack.

Maybe it needs to be cooler then? 33 is not hot, but it is a bit warm considering the somewhat excessive charge rate.
My thread is about charging time not the heat.

I believe that probably not one person on this forum has actually tested the time it takes to charge a battery.

I would very much like to be proven wrong.

You can buy an inexpensive USB test meter that will read out the voltage, current and certain other data of the USB ports in your vehicle and elsewhere. The device has a male USB-A plug on one end and a female USB-A socket on the other end.

The original one was called Charger Doctor and they are usually the cheapest available. There are newer, more expensive versions available that are far more sophisticated, almost like mini plug-in multi-meters and have multiple types of inputs.

One cool feature that many of these have is a built in timer that also records the amount of current that has been transferred during the timed period. So, if you plug one of these devices in the path between a power bank and a charger it will record the amount of time it took to charge the battery bank and how much current capacity it took to fully charge it during that period.

Over the years I've done various tests timing how long it takes to charge Li-ion battery banks of different sizes at different levels of discharge along with using chargers with different current outputs, so I guess I can prove you wrong on your speculation about no one testing charge times. Obviously, standard lithium power banks are different than an "It's Cell" but I run dash cams and action cams off of power banks on a regular basis so testing charging times has been part of the process.

Some of us long time dash cam owners here on the forum wouldn't be with one of these as an essential dash cam accessory.

The Keweisi shown in the photo has the following specs. For a few dollars it's probably the best bargain for a basic one of these.
Specification :
Voltage : 3V-9V, ± 1%
Current : 0-3A, ± 1%
Timer : 0-99H
Battery Capacity : 0-99999mAh
Size : Approx. 7.2cm x 2.2cm x 1.1cm / 2.83" x 0.87" x 0.43"

Here you can see the timer (T) and capacity meter (in mAh) at work.
Keweisi.jpg

charger-doctor.jpeg

meter1.png meter2.png

Last edited:
Well made battery systems increase charging time so batteries do not get damaged.

The accessory battery system I have installed in my car, it's default temperature compensation is -16.2mV for each degree over 25°C.

Back