Dashcam Books

Dashsmith

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am new to this forum and dashcam generally! I am interested to know if there are any technical/technology books about dashcams. I have done the usual online searches but nothing found. I guess such books are under google-nator, amazon, etc., radars and perhaps known about on forums like DashCamTalk. I did a search on this forum too but nothing obvious came out of that search. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated, thanks!

I've never heard of a dashcam book. Most information is probably online.

The Dashcam Buying Guide on this site is a good place to start:

Thanks @TonyM for your reply, appreciated. Perhaps people can bear with me if I ask novice questions if I cannot find answers at this site. From threads that I am reading here (but still to read) I would like to know to but also understand more about emergency mode recordings; triggered g-sensor event (and parking mode); the value of temporal data e.g. GPS and NMEA; determining vehicular speed data from video recordings; Licence plate index number; watermark. etc. I noticed a high number of posts around poor quality in video and audio recording. From some of the dashcam user manuals I read it would appear some forum members here feel product VID/AUD should be a lot better than is stated in the manuals. Again, thanks.

Thanks @TonyM for your reply, appreciated. Perhaps people can bear with me if I ask novice questions if I cannot find answers at this site. From threads that I am reading here (but still to read) I would like to know to but also understand more about emergency mode recordings; triggered g-sensor event (and parking mode); the value of temporal data e.g. GPS and NMEA; determining vehicular speed data from video recordings; Licence plate index number; watermark. etc. I noticed a high number of posts around poor quality in video and audio recording. From some of the dashcam user manuals I read it would appear some forum members here feel product VID/AUD should be a lot better than is stated in the manuals. Again, thanks.

Welcome to DCT @Dashsmith :) You can probably learn more about dashcams on this site than anywhere else except perhaps for some Russian sites in their language (which I do not speak). And there are no stupid questions about dashcams- we all started knowing little to nothing about these and most members here are nice to newbies because we remember we were once one ourselves ;)

Just to touch on some of the points you mention, cams use a file system where normal recordings are separated from 'locked" ones that are generated after the cam detects impact, motion, or that you've pressed a button to save that file. The sensor systems which detect these events range from useless to decent with very few cams in the latter category. GPS and wiifi units in cams are cheap and nasty :rolleyes: AFAIK they are not considered to be acceptable as legal evidence anywhere for speed, but may be usable for location. Speed can always be accurately determined by a time/distance measurement so if it's an important factor your video can still prove it. Some cam logos seen in viewing can be altered or removed and some can't. License numbers are easily set in the cam's user menu. Each part of what dashcams do is pretty simple and easy to understand in itself, and most cams are similar in how the user-interface goes so once you understand the basics the rest usually goes easily. If I can understand this stuff then you can too so don't worry- just ask away and the good folks here will be glad to help (y)

Phil

Back