Dashcam discharging

LeonC1963

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I brought my dashcam indoors to transfer some recordings onto PC, then my dog eat the SD Card which I removed to format it on laptop so after buying a new U3 64gb SD Card I plugged it into the laptop with the USB Cable to charge it before returning the dashcam to car

Soon as I turned it on it started discharging the battery and within a few minutes was requesting that I charge it despite being fully charged on laptop for 2 hours? I tried turning it off but it froze so had to hit the reset button for it to shut down.

I bring i t indoors again and connect to laptop and charge but the same again soon as I put it on the mount in car and connect the rear cam it discharges

So what do you guys think could be the issue a faulty battery? or maybe something else?

Computer USB ports have very little oomph. Have you got a phone USB mains adapter ?

Computer USB ports have very little oomph. Have you got a phone USB mains adapter ?

My Samsung phone charger has a different input plug but this was how I charged it out of the box and was fine, would it be OK to plug the cam usb lead into the samsung adaptor?

How old is the cam? As batteries age they develop a higher resistance to being charged and will also hold less of a usable charge. Really best to use a phone charger- even the cheap ones usually put out more amperage than most laptops do. Ask around and somebody will have an old phone charger they're no longer using to give you, as all phones come with one (save for the very newest wireless charging only models) ;)

Phil

My 322GW is just over a year old, would my samsung fast charger be OK to use as can plug the dash cam cable into that?

2A/5V that'll be fine

My 422gw I have to charge pretty every 2 days for an hour or 2, as everytime I switch the engine off in my work van the camera battery is empty empty even though its on charge when driving via USB port... Its a standard nextbase issue in afraid & it won't go away until they start installing super capacitors inside the dash cams

...even though its on charge when driving via USB port...
Have you checked what amperage is being provided by the port? Many car USB ports only provide .5A (or less) which isn't adequate for most cameras.

My 422gw I have to charge pretty every 2 days for an hour or 2, as everytime I switch the engine off in my work van the camera battery is empty empty even though its on charge when driving via USB port... Its a standard nextbase issue in afraid & it won't go away until they start installing super capacitors inside the dash cams
Despite charging from a wall socket with a tablet adaptor it still does it so have ordered a new battery which my brother in law who is competent in soldering will fit for me, worth a go me thinks as quite a saving over a new cam if it works

Have you checked what amperage is being provided by the port? Many car USB ports only provide .5A (or less) which isn't adequate for most cameras.
It is 5v 1 amp in the Hyundai Ioniq which had been working fine for the past 18 months, I think the 3.7v internal battery is a dud and no longer holding a charge

I think my battery on the 422gw obviously doesn't hold a charge these days had it for around 2 years now... My old 412gw went the same way, but don't fancy soldering a new battery lol.

It's not hard to do just have to be careful as the + and - solder points are close together

If Nextbase are adamant about not using super caps then why don't they design the dashcam to allow easy slide out slide in replacement batteries like a lot of button battery devices ?

It's not hard to do just have to be careful as the + and - solder points are close together
Not familiar with this cam, but if the battery has wires, it's easier to clip the old wires and solder the new wires to them rather than soldering to the PCB.

Phil

but if the battery has wires, it's easier to clip the old wires and solder the new wires to them rather than soldering to the PCB.
WTH, common sense on an internet forum? What are you, some kind of radical? ;)

If Nextbase are adamant about not using super caps then why don't they design the dashcam to allow easy slide out slide in replacement batteries like a lot of button battery devices ?
Just how is a super capacitor supposed to help in parking mode K :eek: :D

WTH, common sense on an internet forum? What are you, some kind of radical? ;)
I exceed radicality, and I'm proud of that :cool: But beware- I can be subversive too; sometimes both at once :cautious:

Phil

Just how is a super capacitor supposed to help in parking mode K :eek: :D

From all the posts here it seems the batteries quickly run out so they are useless as a sole source when parked. I don't use PM but I understand it needs a permanent live connection.

IIRC super caps take seconds to charge whereas the batteries take hours albeit a trickle.

I don't know the wiring route but if PM works via a charged cap or battery then maybe the draw in PM is more than the trickle. A cap though should be able to be kept fully charged.

Back