Dashcam for Christmas, not sure its the one I want.

84chevyguyid

Reaction score
Country
United States
Mentioned a few months ago a dash cam would be fun and the kids bought me a Viofo a129 dash cam. Had something portable in mind as we have multiple vehicles and a motorhome so I would be switching it around regularly. The Viofo looks like its a permanent installation setup with double sided tape. Is there a way to mount it so it can be moved between vehicles easily?
Thanks!

You can easily unmount it (slide in/out) from the mount, takes few seconds and transfer to other vehicle. You just need to buy additional cigarette lighter charger or hardwiring kit plus mount for other cars to have them preinstalled.

Yes the mount bit do stick to the windscreen with tape, but it is just a little thin plastic thing about 1x1" onto which the dashcam itself slide on.
So you just need a mount in each vehicle, and maybe a power supply you for each car or one you can switch around too, though that will mean a little wire clutter.
I have some times just had the wire go up over a sun visor and then off to the side and down the A pillar where in my car you can tuck the wire in halfway down the pillar without taking the trim plastic off.
In which case you don't have a wire dangling down the middle of the windscreen, which would also be illegal in Denmark, though it seem to be one of many laws not actually enforced.

the kids bought me a Viofo a129 dash cam
Is your new dashcam a Viofo A129 V3? If it is then you've got a very useful dashcam.
In which case you don't have a wire dangling down the middle of the windscreen, which would also be illegal in Denmark, though it seem to be one of many laws not actually enforced.
When I first got my RoadHawk I installed its lead behind the car's interior panels. Unfortunately, I had to keep swapping leads and units in order to track down reasons for it not to work, so in the end, I just hung the cables (power and GPS antenna) from the mirror down the centre of the windscreen - which is what I've also done with my Viofo A129 V3.
Is there a way to mount it so it can be moved between vehicles easily?
Yes, there is, you need: Dual Lock tape; a USB Car Cigarette Adapter Charger 2.4 A; and a USB Cable USB Type A to Mini B Cable Data Charging Cable.

Links are to Amazon UK of the items I've used:

Dual Lock tape
USB Car Cigarette Adapter Charger
USB Cable USB Type A to Mini B (you will need to check the length)
Samsung EVO Plus 128 GB microSDXC UHS-I U3 Memory Card with Adapter (as you'll need a decent memory card)

I learnt about Dual Lock from this forum. There's a good discussion about it in the 3M Dual Lock for mounting Viofo A119 V3 GPS mount thread.

Finally, you may need to view the footage on your computer which you can do with the free .mp4 video player. I recommend the Dashcam Viewer software for both Windows and Mac as you can watch all files and use the GPS data to show the location on a map.

Regards,

Edit: As per the post by @kamkar1 (below), if you use third party items such as USB car cigarette adaptor charger and/or a USB Type A to Mini B cable then you need to ensure that they are capable of providing enough power, i.e. over 2.0 A. I have not had any problems with the above items that I have listed.

NB, When I first installed my A119 V3 I used my existing USB car cigarette adaptor charger (which is rated at only 1.0 A) and the A119 V3 just flashed its red light and wouldn't power up.

So if your unit flashes red and you're using third-party items then it's possible that your cable and/or USB car cigarette adaptor charger isn't providing enough power.

Last edited:
Yeah you could also use the dual lock "tape" but i would personally prefer to have a mount sitting in each car, but a "pad" of the velco like dual lock tape should be fine too.
As for powering the sucker any universal USB charger providing enough power can be used, i would go for a good brand one that can provide 2 A on at least one of its ports.
For cable you also need a good one with proper cobber leads inside it and not cheap cobber clad aluminum ( CCA ) leads.

Mentioned a few months ago a dash cam would be fun and the kids bought me a Viofo a129 dash cam. Had something portable in mind as we have multiple vehicles and a motorhome so I would be switching it around regularly. The Viofo looks like its a permanent installation setup with double sided tape. Is there a way to mount it so it can be moved between vehicles easily?
Thanks!

Same here. A few cars and a motorhome.
Have a VIOFO A119S V2 which I switched around for a few years. GPS mount on motorhome and regular mount on cars.

I decided I wanted a similiar camera without battery and run off car power and capacitors because I'm in a hot climate. (Arizona)
I decided to grab a NEW A119 V3 which has much better quality picture quality than even its higher priced A129 Pro which says is 4K.
The A119 V3 if you check the video around has clearer video than the others.
That's why I select a single channel no frills, high clarity, camera. A119 V3
THey says its the best deal for 2019 for price and all the other stuff I mentioned.
This is one of the videos that sold me.

I also picked up the $9 suction cup mount which may help a little moving around.

No it does not.
Its used just to temporary the camera for some video shooting of yourself while driving or taking with you on a trip in a rental car etc.

Back