Dashcam for newbie

Mavs88

Reaction score
Country
United States
newbie here and feel free for suggestions.
features wanted in rank order :
1. battery or capacitor type, no need to plug in 12V supply for a prolonged period, easy to charge through powerbank or remove to charge at home. Always afraid it may leak my car battery.
2. ample storage and yet ability to overwrite video footage so no need for a huge storage.
3. when park in street, it can still detect incidents like side bumper got hit.
4. easy installation
5. option for rear view cam
6. ~$200 or less.

Thanks ! :)

Welcome to the forum Mavs88.

1: A dashcam have to be powered, thats also often how it know when to be on / off or also change to parking mode ( be wise to if your dash socket are on all the time, this are some times the case in new cars, in that case the camera would be on all the time and drain your car battery if the cut off are not build into the camera itself ( and cut off are often in the hard wire kit )
What ever power source they ( dashcams ) have on board, it is extremely small and only there to finalize last recording in case of a violent event, capacitors are a must if you are in a place that get hot some times, actually cold are also not super good for a Lipo battery.
2: you be better off with a larger memory card ( 128 GB at least for 1 - 2 camera systems ), these are rated in full read / write cycles, so a larger card fill up less often than a smaller memory card, you should also if possible get one with warranty for when used in dashcams, and you should not save a buck on it, the memory card are sort of a dashcams motor oil. ( OBS !!!! memory cards are often faked, make sure to buy from a local reputable seller, do not buy cheaper memory cards in some garage shop in China,,,,,, or elsewhere it is a universal thing )
3: most cameras have parking mode / modes, only relying on the G - sensor to set off such a recording is optimal, motion detect are too sensitive and will record a lot, low bitrate always recording are my favorite mode, and for sure if you want to do that for parking guard, you are well off not having a smaller card.
parking guard of course need power too, there are normally a low voltage cut off to choose, and it should not be under 12.2 volts.
Depending on your car battery size and condition, + of course how much you drive to recharge the car battery,then how long you can use parking guard depend on factors like that. But ! you can not be parked 23.5 hours a day and only drive 30 minutes a day, using power / recharging power source are of course connected.
4: Install are not that big with most cameras, you stick or "suck" it to the windscreen ( at the top and in the middle are best, within wiper coverage for sure ) - route wire to the side and the A pillar there - then down and in under towards your fuse box ( as you intend to use parking guard, then you also need the correct hard wire kit for your brand / model of choice )
5: Many cameras have a AV out ( mini jack ) you can connect to a analog LCD screen or maybe a head unit if yours have a AV in, but there are drawbacks using dashcam for reversing cameras. you are better off getting a true reversing camera to connect to the head unit or a LCD screen.
They are a few dollars and a few more including a LCD screen as a kit. ( if you can DIY you of course save a buck there, probably tutorials in installing stuff on youtube.
But of course a LCD / dedicated camera are a extra cost.
Most / all dashcams have pretty small LCD screens, some maybe dont even have a screen, no matter what you cant see much reversing on the little dashcam screen, also impossible if the camera are in front of your mirror then you cant even see the LCD screen.

Browse https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/where-did-you-mount-the-camera-post-your-pictures.502/page-64 for pictures of how people have installed dasncam systems in various cars for ideas to your own setup.

newbie here and feel free for suggestions.
features wanted in rank order :
1. battery or capacitor type, no need to plug in 12V supply for a prolonged period, easy to charge through powerbank or remove to charge at home. Always afraid it may leak my car battery.
2. ample storage and yet ability to overwrite video footage so no need for a huge storage.
3. when park in street, it can still detect incidents like side bumper got hit.
4. easy installation
5. option for rear view cam
6. ~$200 or less.

Thanks ! :)

Good 2 Channel (Front + Rear) Options for Dallas, Texas Weather.

Viofo A129 Duo (1080P) - Owned two of these for 2.5 years now.
Viofo A129 Plus Duo (2kFront + 1080p Rear)
Street Guardian SG9663DCPRO+ (1080P)- https://streetguardian.cam/sg9663dcpro-plus

Viofo is limited English Chinese support. So you'll be relying on people here for assistance. Just something worth noting.
StreetGuardian is native English Speaking Support.

All 3 of these offer live, real time, parking recording when hardwired to a car or LiPO battery pack. As motion Detection with buffered parking is not the best way to capture events.

3 Channel Options with *Asterisk*

Viofo A139 3 Channel (2k Front + Interior + Rear). It has a 65C (149F) thermal cutoff. 3 Channels is great because you get coverage all around built into one system. But with Dallas, Texas Heat, this may not be able to keep parking mode going for long periods before it has to power off. As a car's interior gets hot in baking sun.

Other Alternatives to a 3 channel setup to buy one of the above 2 Channel Systems and find a separate interior camera.

Last edited:
Dallas Tx dont get hot ?
I always thought everything from girls and guns was got in Texas

Dallas Tx dont get hot ?
I always thought everything from girls and guns was got in Texas
Weather gets pretty hot in the Summer, I googled and says it's better with super cap type than battery for the cam ? But cap doesn't hold charge long enough... so maybe back to battery, and take out the cam during Summer.
...and it's not just the suns and guns and girls that are hot, but the spicy food too :sneaky:

Weather gets pretty hot in the Summer, I googled and says it's better with super cap type than battery for the cam ? But cap doesn't hold charge long enough... so maybe back to battery, and take out the cam during Summer.
...and it's not just the suns and guns and girls that are hot, but the spicy food too :sneaky:

Don't buy a camera with a battery. They are not meant to power camera. Supercap and/or Battery's purpose is to provide enough charge (few seconds) to allow the last file being written to exit properly on shutdown after camera "loses power"..

Reasons Not To:

1. Batteries don't handle heat well.
2. Over time they lose charge and simply no longer work. Meaning your last file being written can't exit properly if the battery dies
3. Batteries are generally found in lower end cameras.

Models I recommended above all are very reliable, use SuperCaps, have loop recording, and fit within the general price range you requested. While offering Live 30 FPS parking mode (real time) when hardwired. Reliability. Established Brands.

Good 2 Channel (Front + Rear) Options for Dallas, Texas Weather.

Viofo A129 Duo (1080P) - Owned two of these for 2.5 years now.
Viofo A129 Plus Duo (2kFront + 1080p Rear)
Street Guardian SG9663DCPRO+ (1080P)- https://streetguardian.cam/sg9663dcpro-plus

Viofo is limited English Chinese support. So you'll be relying on people here for assistance. Just something worth noting.
StreetGuardian is native English Speaking Support.

All 3 of these offer live, real time, parking recording when hardwired to a car or LiPO battery pack. As motion Detection with buffered parking is not the best way to capture events.

3 Channel Options with *Asterisk*

Viofo A139 3 Channel (2k Front + Interior + Rear). It has a 65C (149F) thermal cutoff. 3 Channels is great because you get coverage all around built into one system. But with Dallas, Texas Heat, this may not be able to keep parking mode going for long periods before it has to power off. As a car's interior gets hot in baking sun.

Other Alternatives to a 3 channel setup to buy one of the above 2 Channel Systems and find a separate interior camera.
Thanks for the rec ! I'm fluent in chinese, so maybe Viofo is better ? Do you mean their customer support is mainly with chinese operator ?

Look at lipo battery fire on youtube, even if i cant say i ever heard of it, i do regard a lipo battery as a fire hazard in the car.
As a Texan you must have a capacitor based camera, no doubt about that, as sure as i would open carry if i was a texan,,,,, sadly as a Dane i am restricted to just have Texan sympathies., as Texas are so many things my country are not.

Don't buy a camera with a battery. They are not meant to power camera. Supercap and/or Battery's purpose is to provide enough charge (few seconds) to allow the last file being written to exit properly on shutdown after camera "loses power"..

Reasons Not To:

1. Batteries don't handle heat well.
2. Over time they lose charge and simply no longer work. Meaning your last file being written can't exit properly if the battery dies
3. Batteries are generally found in lower end cameras.

Models I recommended above all are very reliable, use SuperCaps, have loop recording, and fit within the general price range you requested. While offering Live 30 FPS parking mode (real time) when hardwired. Reliability. Established Brands.
Do you mean the viofo or streetguardian needs to be constantly plugged into the 12V car battery supply ? sorry newbie question :oops:

Welcome to the forum Mavs88.

1: A dashcam have to be powered, thats also often how it know when to be on / off or also change to parking mode ( be wise to if your dash socket are on all the time, this are some times the case in new cars, in that case the camera would be on all the time and drain your car battery if the cut off are not build into the camera itself ( and cut off are often in the hard wire kit )
What ever power source they ( dashcams ) have on board, it is extremely small and only there to finalize last recording in case of a violent event, capacitors are a must if you are in a place that get hot some times, actually cold are also not super good for a Lipo battery.
2: you be better off with a larger memory card ( 128 GB at least for 1 - 2 camera systems ), these are rated in full read / write cycles, so a larger card fill up less often than a smaller memory card, you should also if possible get one with warranty for when used in dashcams, and you should not save a buck on it, the memory card are sort of a dashcams motor oil. ( OBS !!!! memory cards are often faked, make sure to buy from a local reputable seller, do not buy cheaper memory cards in some garage shop in China,,,,,, or elsewhere it is a universal thing )
3: most cameras have parking mode / modes, only relying on the G - sensor to set off such a recording is optimal, motion detect are too sensitive and will record a lot, low bitrate always recording are my favorite mode, and for sure if you want to do that for parking guard, you are well off not having a smaller card.
parking guard of course need power too, there are normally a low voltage cut off to choose, and it should not be under 12.2 volts.
Depending on your car battery size and condition, + of course how much you drive to recharge the car battery,then how long you can use parking guard depend on factors like that. But ! you can not be parked 23.5 hours a day and only drive 30 minutes a day, using power / recharging power source are of course connected.
4: Install are not that big with most cameras, you stick or "suck" it to the windscreen ( at the top and in the middle are best, within wiper coverage for sure ) - route wire to the side and the A pillar there - then down and in under towards your fuse box ( as you intend to use parking guard, then you also need the correct hard wire kit for your brand / model of choice )
5: Many cameras have a AV out ( mini jack ) you can connect to a analog LCD screen or maybe a head unit if yours have a AV in, but there are drawbacks using dashcam for reversing cameras. you are better off getting a true reversing camera to connect to the head unit or a LCD screen.
They are a few dollars and a few more including a LCD screen as a kit. ( if you can DIY you of course save a buck there, probably tutorials in installing stuff on youtube.
But of course a LCD / dedicated camera are a extra cost.
Most / all dashcams have pretty small LCD screens, some maybe dont even have a screen, no matter what you cant see much reversing on the little dashcam screen, also impossible if the camera are in front of your mirror then you cant even see the LCD screen.

Browse https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/where-did-you-mount-the-camera-post-your-pictures.502/page-64 for pictures of how people have installed dasncam systems in various cars for ideas to your own setup.
Thanks for the long and useful info !
1. sold on cap ! :) so this needs to be constantly plug into the 12V supply ? or is the USB plug is okay ? we can trust those "cut-off" feature would not drain the car battery I suppose.
2. While driving, it is constantly recording or only when there's some impact then it would start record ? If it is constantly recording, then even mem card is not enough ?
3. Is WIFI feature a must have ? I park my car just outside my house and it is just along a small street, so it can access to my home WIFI.

Default with dashcams you get a PSU that plug into the dash 12 V socket, and this is just fine if you route the wire fine and just want to record while driving. problem is some times that 12 V are live all the time, so then you would need to go for a fuse in the fuse box that is ACC and shut down when you turn off the car. ( i have on rare occasions heard that the dealer can reprogram the dash socket to not be on all the time )
Most hard wire kits today ( for parking guard ) are 3 wire kits that have two +12 V wires needing connection, one to a always on fuse, and one to a +12 V ACC fuse, and then of course the ground wire.
Some systems can still use the old way where it is the camera G sensor that determine if the camera should be in drive mode or change to parking guard mode ( usually after a few minutes of 0 movement on the G - sensor.
These old style cameras just need 2 wires in the hard wire kit.

You can have the G sensor on while driving, then it would save a event file in a locked folder for safe storage, but really with a sufficient large memory card you have storage enough for 10 - +20 hours of recording, so you would have to crash down a cliff side, never be found or found many days later, and the car after stopping down the cliff will have to be on for the camera to continue recording and eventually overwrite the crash files too.
I never use the G sensor when driving, first of all if you can not get the sensitivity low enough potholes and similar little bumps can set off false event recordings taking up space on your memory card.
I do use the manual event button to save little things in traffic i want to share, mind you both that button and the G - sensor triggering, what i saved can vary in between brands.
Some systems have a 10 - 20 second memory pre-buffer so you get that time from before the actual event / button press saved, and then 20 . 30 seconds after the event trigger, the downside here is you have to be fast pressing the manual event button to lock the event itself within the 20 second buffer, as for when the G sensor trigger you have the 20 seconds from before the trigger.

Other deal in the video segments them self ( i always use 3 minute segment size if i can ) so the camera might lock the current file being written so you could get how many minutes of segment you have selected.
The downside here is if you are using 3 minute like me and you press the button right at the event happening, and that by chance are right at the start of a new 3 minute segment, well then you could have next to nothing before the trigger saved + about 3 minutes after,,,,, similar problem if you press button / have event right at the end of the current 3 minute file being made, in that case you might have about 3 minutes from before the event and very little after locked down.

Street guardian ( not cheap brand ) they do segments but 2 from each camera, so again me using 3 minute segments, say i have a event 2 minutes into the current recording, well then the SG camera save that current file ( 3 minutes ) + the following file as the trigger is more than 50 % thru the current file when the trigger happen.
So in that case you have 2 minutes from before the trigger and 4 minutes after,,,,,, on the other hand being only 1 min into current file when trigger, still current file get locked, but so do previous as current file was less then 50% when trigger happen.
And so in that example you get 4 minutes from before the event and 2 minutes after the trigger event.
And so with the SG way of doing things you dont have to rush to the event button, and you should still have the actual event locked.

wifi as just about standard these days, and it is good for making settings changes on a larger phone screen, downloading data in bulk, thats not going to work due to slow wifi, but you can spend 4-5 minutes downloading the last 3 minute file your camera saved.
Personally i use a USB 3.0 card reader on a just as fast port in the computer, and i get the full read write speeds of the memory card, which are often up around 100 MB/s VS on wifi where you get much slower speeds.
I would never share event footage on site , not even if it was a event i was not involved in, but i will share later on, as i have done a few times now with police and unfortunate drivers.

Very few dashcams have station mode, so they could connect to your home wifi, but the wifi radio in the dashcam are still very slow and weak ( and inside a metal box so range are probably very limited )
Some of the more smart cameras can connect to a wifi AP in the car or put in the car, these are the more expensive cameras from Blackvue and thinkware.
I have never been impressed of these smart cameras as we geeks have nicknamed them, its just more things that can go wrong.
I am however getting one such system to test in January some time, so while not a fan, this old dog can still learn new tricks,,,,,, just not sure it is tricks i will do for the rest of my life, but i am openminded and will give it a spin at least once.

Driver of this car ( not the first one out of the car ) he did a runner as he was high as a kite, but not before posing in front of my side camera ( not in YT video )
So police was very happy when they saw the footage 1 hour later, cuz !!!!! thats "Jamil" he is a usual suspect, we go pick him up and get drug screen.

Last edited:
Do you mean the viofo or streetguardian needs to be constantly plugged into the 12V car battery supply ? sorry newbie question :oops:

All Dashcams need a power source. No matter what brand. You have 3 options:

1. 12V Socket. Which will not permit the camera to record while the car is parked. Since the 12V socket won't remain active when engine is shut off on most cars.

2. Hardwire to fuse box. You buy a hardwire kit, tap into the Accessory Fuse (Fuse active when Car is started) and Battery Fuse (Active When Car is Off... I.E. Power Seats, etc that still work without turning on engine). Then you hook up the ground to a metal bolt.

The Camera runs off the Engine (Accessory) when the car is started.

Hardwiring will let the car run and record when the engine is off. Running off the car battery. This is parking mode. All 3 of the models above (and 3 channel model) will record in 30 frames per second, live, real time motion using the car battery for it's source of power. There's a voltage cutoff on these kits to prevent your battery from being drained too much.

3. Buying a Battery Pack and doing the same as #2 except you only hook the battery pack to the Accessory fuse and Ground to Bolt. Since the battery pack charges when the engine is running and kicks in when the engine is turned off. Examples include Cellink Neo, etc.

Options 1-3 permit the camera to record at all times while driving. Options 2 and 3 permit the camera to record while the vehicle is shut off.

Support
:

1. Viofo is a Chinese based company. Their support staff have limited English skills. So if you are new and needed support, then you'd most likely be asking people here. Viofo support is pretty limited to warranty exchanges. In depth questions often face language barriers. But you speak Chinese. So not an issue.

2. Streetguardian is an Australian company. Native English Speaking Support.

I hope I answered your questions.

Last edited:
Here is an Example of a Hardwire. One of the fuse taps is for Accessory (Fuse Active When Car is Turned on) and another for Battery (Fuse active both when car is on and off). The vehicle fuse always goes to the bottom of the fuse tap. Fuse to protect the circuit up top.

fuse.jpg

Installing a 2 Channel Dash Cam (Front + Rear) in a modern vehicle.

On New Cars, you cannot safety "Tuck Wires". Wherever there is a a Side Curtain pillar, the pillar needs removed to tuck wire behind or out of the way of that curtain.

As you can see in this example where the circle is at is a curtain. If you Tucked it into the Groove, it would cross over that curtain and obstruct the side curtain deployment in the event of an accident. Requiring you to remove that pillar and routing the wire BEHIND THE CURTAIN instead over overtop.

Curtains.jpg

20190131_171726.jpg

Here is an Example of a Hardwire. One of the fuse taps is for Accessory (Fuse Active When Car is Turned on) and another for Battery (Fuse active both when car is on and off). The vehicle fuse always goes to the bottom of the fuse tap. Fuse to protect the circuit up top.

View attachment 59182

Installing a 2 Channel Dash Cam (Front + Rear) in a modern vehicle.

On New Cars, you cannot safety "Tuck Wires". Wherever there is a a Side Curtain pillar, the pillar needs removed to tuck wire behind or out of the way of that curtain.

As you can see in this example where the circle is at is a curtain. If you Tucked it into the Groove, it would cross over that curtain and obstruct the side curtain deployment in the event of an accident. Requiring you to remove that pillar and routing the wire BEHIND THE CURTAIN instead over overtop.

View attachment 59184

View attachment 59183
Thanks ... interesting fuse option.
Without the parking mode, if I just want rear cam option, do I still need to go to car fuse ?

Yes the fuses adapters ( piggyback fuse adapter ) you still need if you want to be able to use parking guard..
The type of fuses in the picture is what all cars use nowadays, but they do come in a few different tupes / phuysical sizes, so you need to know what kind your car use ( look up ATO fuses there are charts where you can see the different types )
The rear camera are powered by the front / main camera, this can be thru a USB cable that also move the data, or some also use a coaxial cable that though just 1 wires transport both power and the video data.
USB are the most common cable type to rear cameras

Thanks ... interesting fuse option.
Without the parking mode, if I just want rear cam option, do I still need to go to car fuse ?

Per @kamkar

The rear camera needs power. You can either run two individual cameras and both would need a power source (12v socket, hardwire, or battery pack) or you can run a single Front + Rear Setup. Where the front camera supplies the rear with power based upon those 3 power sources. Or on a Front + Rear + Interior Setup (3 channel) the front powers the rear and interior. I wouldn't necessary say a 3 channel is a great fit for Dallas. Because it will most definitely reach the 65C / 149F cutoff in a Texas Summer with the sun heating up the interior. So parking times would be pretty short.

Whereas a 2 channel setup would be "OK" and take much longer hot.

If you want parking mode, you must hardwire to the vehicle fusebox or to a separate battery pack.

Fuses these days are usually Micro or Mini. You can easily take a fuse out of your fusebox to a place and they can identify which fuse tap you will need with the hardwire kit.

On the Front ---> Rear Camera cable, be mindful of side curtains. Never ever tuck wires over the curtain. Like I said, they will prevent deployment in an accident as the wire can catch and prevent the curtain from deploying. So the wire must be behind or out of the way of the curtain.

Per @kamkar

The rear camera needs power. You can either run two individual cameras and both would need a power source (12v socket, hardwire, or battery pack) or you can run a single Front + Rear Setup. Where the front camera supplies the rear with power based upon those 3 power sources. Or on a Front + Rear + Interior Setup (3 channel) the front powers the rear and interior. I wouldn't necessary say a 3 channel is a great fit for Dallas. Because it will most definitely reach the 65C / 149F cutoff in a Texas Summer with the sun heating up the interior. So parking times would be pretty short.

Whereas a 2 channel setup would be "OK" and take much longer hot.

If you want parking mode, you must hardwire to the vehicle fusebox or to a separate battery pack.

Fuses these days are usually Micro or Mini. You can easily take a fuse out of your fusebox to a place and they can identify which fuse tap you will need with the hardwire kit.

On the Front ---> Rear Camera cable, be mindful of side curtains. Never ever tuck wires over the curtain. Like I said, they will prevent deployment in an accident as the wire can catch and prevent the curtain from deploying. So the wire must be behind or out of the way of the curtain.
From amazon, there's 2 ($219.90) and 3 ($269.99) channel VIOFO A139. Looks like the Rear setup is not as straight-forward. I think I'll do the front first.

From amazon, there's 2 ($219.90) and 3 ($269.99) channel VIOFO A139. Looks like the Rear setup is not as straight-forward. I think I'll do the front first.

The A129 Duo - 1080P Front + Rear
The A129 Duo Plus - 2k Front + Rear
A139 is a 2 Channel - 2k Front + Rear or a 3 Channel 2k Front + 1080P Interior + 1080p Rear

I'd go with a 2 channel setup in Dallas, Texas. You want a rear camera to be honest. If someone hits your car from behind, it'll be captured. It might be worth spending a bit of money having an installer do it for you. I have been rear ended and camera came in handy.

There's also the Street Guardian. It's an Australian Company that rigorously tests their products in extreme heat.

Their camera is Front + Rear 1080p.

What type of car (Make, Model, Year) do you drive? That might be helpful to know so we can guide you better.

I got a 2017 Honda CRV. A139 doesn’t come with Screen. Some reviews prefer with screen. Thanks !

Back