DashCam for outside parking ( Parking surveillance , Motion detection ) ?

Kite

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Hello,
I need some help understanding these terms , and getting a dashcam for my car.
Atm I`m commuting and my car is parked outside, on the side of the road with lots of other cars. I had two incidents already when someone hit my car, and another one broke my mirror. I want to get a dashcam that can help me in these situations by filming when my car is being hit. I saw some cameras have motion detection , g-sensor and one has parking surveillance.
Can some1 explain to me if g-sensor will trigger if the car is being hit while parked ? I think motion detection will not help me because there are lots of cars passing by. I`m currently looking into buying an alarm as well .
I have the opportunity to buy either a Vico Marcus 4 ( which has none of these features in parking mode) , or a DoD LS460W , or DoD VRH3 ( with parking surveillance ) , or a DoD CR65W . What do you think will be my best option for the described situation.
Thanks in advance !

As liam nielson says...

" I will find you, and i will make an insurance claim against you " !!!

There will be differing opinions on the use of dashcams for capturing this type of event, but i am in the camp that believes if your cameras are running at the time of the event it wouldnt be posible to park near you never mind bump you without capturing the numberplate of the culprit at some point of the offending monoeuvre...

Knowing the cost of a small dent removal never mind a scrape, rather than foot the bill myself as i ve done in the past, or see value wiped of my car - I would use the police to get the address of the hit and run offender and offer the oportunity of a cash payment to cover the cost or straight to the insurance company no messing...

For my camera to be running i need to have one with a battery , my cigar liter wont work only with contact on , that rules out marcus 4 which has a capacitor but offers the best video quality in my opinion , and the battery should last for at least 20h in surveillance mode , or I need some sort of contraption that takes current from my battery .

You need to connect the camera power directly to the fuse box. Look here for an example.
I think is even possible to make a modification to the car fusebox to offer permanent power to the car cigar socket. (I think in Romania is very possible.) ;)

I will explain how should work any camera in Parking mode. The duration in seconds can vary from camera to camera.
When G-Sensor is not detecting any motion (shock) after some minutes, for example 8 minutes of stand by, the camera will enter in Parking Mode. Until that moment the camera is recording in Normal mode, so you are not missing any second of footage.
In Parking Mode the camera is always recording but not storing to the SD Card, This recording is also in loop mode, maybe in 15-30 seconds clips.
When motion or shock (event) is detected, the camera is writing to the SD Card the previous 15 or 30 seconds before event which were already stored in the camera memory. Will record also the event (maybe 30 second) and 15-30-seconds after the event. Event the power is lost because of severe impact, the camera will still record up to 30 seconds based on the power from super capacitors.

Depending on the manufacturer you can have shorter or longer event clips. Most korean cameras are working as I described and usually their event videos are short: 15s (before event) + 15s (event) + 15s (after event) = 45s/event.

Here is an example from a korean dashcam. You can see the event files are stored in different folders, called Event.
parking.jpg

So the camera consumption is almost the same also in parking mode. This is why the car should be driven at least each 3 days at least.

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi friend,

I am sorry to hear the accidents.But it is indeed the case that motion detection will not work and lead to miss some important proof.

It is just because,usually,the car camera sit in front of windshield of the car,people move in front of car at distance of 2-5meter or so,but in
fact,most of car camera may only trigger motion detection within distance of 50cm or so.
This may means motion detection usually can not work properly.

but I am sure below product will be able help you,
https://joovuu.com/gb/home/206-motion-detection-car-accessory.html
This item is sound triggger motion detection gadget, when surrounding is quiet,it will not supply power for car camera.
But when there is any sound to be detected(Such as a scratch on car body),it will trigger recording immedietely and supply power for car cameras around 20seconds,
and when surrounding is quiet,it will stop supplying power for car camera,and when surrounding is continously loudy,it will keep on supplying power for car camera continously.

This gadget with built-in 2200mAh ,stand by time is 60days,and also can transfer 12V voltage to 5V voltage automatically,
So even the car power is consumed,car camera can still work well with the help of this gadget and safely.

The application of this gadget can also expanded to uses such as: power for mobile phone with mini usb cable =Equal to a power bank
we can also put the car camera at home with pluging the cable of this motion detection gadget,when we are outside for travel,
we get car camera sit towards the door,and hide it in a corner,when there is anybody knock the door,sound will trigger this gadget to work and output power for car camera to start recording at once.

If you have interests,we can also send you a video link for you to see how it works.

Kind regards,
Joovuu.com

Last edited:
Thanks mtz for the explanation , thats exactly how I imagined it to be, but I cant find those explanations in the manuals for the cameras presented above. About the permanent cigar litter , I need to find a safe way to do it , I dont need a burned out car ( I ll ask my service guys ). What do you think about those cameras I mention ? If a DoD LS460W has gsensor but not a parking mode , will it still be able to record emergency video when shock or motion detected ? Or that parking mode is an almost idle program that is required for triggering the motion and sensor events.

JooVuu, your solution is good when the camera doesnt have G-Sensor and is not able to record events based on Motion or Shock.
Also the power is for camera with standard USB connector.

Kite, I was outside from the forum in latest months so I can't give you some good advice regarding cameras, but I hope some forum users to help you. Also use the search from forum. My experience and the previous screenshot (from Livue LB100) is from korean cameras which usually cost more than chinese.
And dont forget that parking mode is not perfect and if a lot of motion is around your car you will have a lot of event files. But the good part is because some cameras offer lower FPS for parking mode so the storage space is not very affected by too many Event files.

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks mtz for the explanation , thats exactly how I imagined it to be, but I cant find those explanations in the manuals for the cameras presented above. About the permanent cigar litter , I need to find a safe way to do it , I dont need a burned out car ( I ll ask my service guys ). What do you think about those cameras I mention ? If a DoD LS460W has gsensor but not a parking mode , will it still be able to record emergency video when shock or motion detected ? Or that parking mode is an almost idle program that is required for triggering the motion and sensor events.

1/ I think the factors that affects a car camera to work under parking mode properlly is dependent on both of two factors:
1) sensibility of car camera sensor
2)Built-in battery capacity or power supply.

Usually,a car cmera standard package include a mini usb cable,car charger.
Car charger is as main power supply,but when car stops,most of cigaretee light socket will stop to supply power for car camera.
In this case,any of car cameras can not work will in parking mode,because car camera need to work with power supply,meanwhile,usually car camera itself is
usually 300-800mAh,which can not last recording for too long time.

In this case,many people will buy a MINI USB or Micro USB hardware kit(people may also call it car exclusive power box to solve the power problem to make sure car camera parking mode can proceed well.

2/Back to the MINI USB or MICRO USB hardware kit,the disadvantage is,when we install it, we will have to pay some service fee such as 10USD dollars to employ a professional staff to split the cable inside of power box to install it.
But usually car 4S shop may find reason to refuse car repair because we destroy it's original strucutre.

Another disadvantage of the hardware kit for parking mode usage is,for example,we use a 8GB TF card(during 1080P full hd video recording mode,which usally means to be able to store file size of 1 hour continious recording),car parked in somewhere with the hardware kit,when we get up at 8:00am,we may only be able to see the video files that happens from 7:00-8:00,but we can not see the situation that happens such as 6:00am, if there is any important video happens during 6:30(for example) has been overwrite(deleted),this means the hardware kit or car camera parking mode may be meaningfulless .
We had better adopt such a kind of sound trigger gadget to make accidents proof to be saved properlly.

3/As above mentioned models,if we have to choose from above models,I think Viocation Marcus M3/m4 is better than DOD.
For your reference only.

Kind regards,
joovuu.com

Maybe I should explain more,4S=abbreviation of "Sale+Sparepart+Service+Survey" of branded car shop

Many thanks to all of you for your input. Knowing all of this , I will get either a Marcus 4 or WF1 . Wf1 has smart parking feature and its discrete. What you do guys think about it ? I will surf the forum for more information. The Marcus 4 has higher resolution and supports 64gb of memory and WF1 just 32gb. On the other hand WF1 has smart parking feature , pushcam.com features. What would you guys choose ?

Many thanks to all of you for your input. Knowing all of this , I will get either a Marcus 4 or WF1 . Wf1 has smart parking feature and its discrete. What you do guys think about it ? I will surf the forum for more information. The Marcus 4 has higher resolution and supports 64gb of memory and WF1 just 32gb. On the other hand WF1 has smart parking feature , pushcam.com features. What would you guys choose ?

WF1 is discrete, has Good quality WDR night vision and is a very reliable cam. WiFi is fun and should be more and more poplar in future DashCam products.

https://shop.pier28.com/index.php/d...mart-wi-fi-1080p-full-hd-car-dash-camera.html

yeah you won't get the install done for USD $10 outside of China either
Yep,modify the cable will destroy the structure,we may choose a more sensitive parking mode car camera or simply plug the item without modify any place.It is not a bad choice,save 10USD or DIY trouble.

Looking in the car fuse box for an Always On fuse can help you in obtaining permanent power also for the car cigarette socket.

enjoy,
Mtz

Looking in the car fuse box for an Always On fuse can help you in obtaining permanent power also for the car cigarette socket.

enjoy,
Mtz

Yes,you are right,with the help of mini hardware kit,and connect car fuse box,it can obtain permanet power.
There are 2 methods for power supply,choose mini hardware kit to get power permamently, or power with that kind of compatible inteligent motion detection gadget who has built-in 2200mAh battery (this gadget can be used for A7L70 chipset like Viocation M3)

But above 2 methods only considers power supply,neglects the parking mode use.
How we make it make full use of both mini hardware kit and the inteligent motion detection gadget,there is also another method.
We may combine both get both permanant power supply also inteligent parking performance,the steps can be:
1) open the inteligent motion detection gadget's
black box(The middle part,inside is battery) first,we will see a red line and black line that are connecting with the battery,then take off the battery (because we need to use car fuse box power,and only need to use it's parking performance,so get rid of the battery)
2.Split off the USB end of the hardware kit,also we will see there is black&red power cable
3.Then connect the red power cable of hardware kit with the inteliegent motion detection gadget's red power cable,
same principle,black connect with black.
Then finished.
4.After this change,then we can not only get car confuse box power,but also get inteliegent parking performance.
Then we do not need to worry there is no power,also do not need to worrry the car camera's parking sensor is not so sensitive.
And this inteligent gadget will start to record when there is any sound or vibration or scratch.

It is just a DIY extended method for reference only.

For my camera to be running i need to have one with a battery , my cigar liter wont work only with contact on , that rules out marcus 4 which has a capacitor but offers the best video quality in my opinion , and the battery should last for at least 20h in surveillance mode , or I need some sort of contraption that takes current from my battery .

Urgh NO !

Any camera will run with power on it !

The simple answer to your problem is pick any camera you like and the Trick to solving your problem is a simple circuit feeding power to it which allows it to be powered by ignition and or by a switch when the ignition is off...

In use your camera will always be on when driving and if the switch is left on when you park up it will continue recording without a break in the file system. If you leave the switch off when you park up your camera will stop recording when you park up.

This system works a treat, misses nothing and involves 2 power supplies to the camera, one via ignition and one permanant via a small relay.

Someone should make these cables up and flog them on ebay to help people like you with limited electrical know how !!

( should become industry standard as parking mode , movement sensing doesnt seem to be a propper solution from what people report )

If reverand or someone else trusted wants to try one and post up findings i might be tempted to make one up and send it out !

Last edited:
Ty for all your inputs , I ll get a Vico m4 or wf1 and like Mtz sugested , I ll get power from my fuse box via a fuse bypass and I ll get another lighter to hide it somewhere . I ll start looking on information about my car to see how to get everything done on car related forums . I ll let you know how everything is going and I m sure I ll return with questions. Ty all again .

Back