Dashcam For Rear

ctse_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my 1st post on here! I'm looking for a dashcam for the rear of my car but don't want to spend too much preferably less than £35, any recommendations?

I've thought about buying this so far due to it's size. Ideally I would like one of the Mini Series but unfortunately above my budget https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B00KAMPP76
Any advice on fitting a rear cam would be welcome. I've read that a suction mount can't be used in the rear due to the rear heated window lines so would the solution be to use some double sided tape onto the rear window?

I have a Transcend DrivePro 200 for the front so the picture quality for the back isn't a major concern but I'd still like it to be decent enough to read the numberplate of a following car from approx 5m away.

Thanks in advance!

...Unfortunately it's a bit out of my budget if it is that, any other suggestions?
The reality is you get what you pay for and dash cams are no different. At the price point of your original post you are more likely than not to be disappointed.

@DT MI is correct that spending less could leave you disappointed but it can be worse than mere disappointment. Cheap unreliable cameras seem to have the habit of failing at the worst possible moment and if someone should rear end your vehicle you could miss key footage that may be vital in resolving an insurance or legal case. You could end up kicking yourself that you didn't spend the relatively modest extra pounds for a camera you can rely on. The difference in price between the G1W-"C", the only other low priced dash cam even worth considering and the Mobius is cheap insurance. Also, whatever you spend, you're not likely to find a camera as small and stealthy for a rear windscreen than a Mobius.

The source @russ331 recommends is the developer and manufacturer, selling at the best price you will find and you can order from them with confidence.

After watching the techmoan review of it I'm more or less sold on it and think I'll take the plunge.

A few questions though, how long is the cable that comes with it as it doesn't seem that long and I'm not sure it'll reach the back and is there motion detection and g-sensor on it?

Also any recommendations on a memory card for it? Sorry for all the questions I don't have a lot of knowledge in dashcam.

Last edited:
The cable that comes with the Mobius is tiny and more for PC use - you can buy longer charge only cables for the Mobius from places like JooVuu in the UK.

Memory card wise the older Kingston cards tend to work well in the Mobius - I used mine with a class 4 Kingston but it also worked with a couple of Samsung Evo cards I had (although I never let them loop in the Mobius).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B0046XARJG

The cable that comes with the Mobius is tiny and more for PC use - you can buy longer charge only cables for the Mobius from places like JooVuu in the UK.

Memory card wise the older Kingston cards tend to work well in the Mobius - I used mine with a class 4 Kingston but it also worked with a couple of Samsung Evo cards I had (although I never let them loop in the Mobius).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B0046XARJG

Would a standard USB to USB extension cable do the same job?

Thanks I'll give that one a try!

Another quick question, does the Mobius in the link above come with the wide angle lens as I've noticed some of those cameras have a standard lens rather than a wide angle one.

Also any recommendations on a memory card for it?

Note that the link provided by @reverend is to a card 'dispatched from & sold by Amazon'. That's possibly your best chance of dodging a counterfeit card, so don't be tempted to save a couple of quid by shopping elsewhere.

A lens model is narrow, the others, B, C, C2 are wide

Some have reported problems with the "C" lens versions and the "B" lens had distortion. the "C2" lens is the newest and from reports here it's the best wide-angle lens. Be sure you're getting a "C2" if you want wide-angle, the recommended sellers will all have that in stock by now but ask if it isn't specified.

Phil

Some have reported problems with the "C" lens versions and the "B" lens had distortion. the "C2" lens is the newest and from reports here it's the best wide-angle lens. Be sure you're getting a "C2" if you want wide-angle, the recommended sellers will all have that in stock by now but ask if it isn't specified.

Phil

yeah was just pointing out the formats, B lens I don't think you'd find any, C should be just about gone but best to check, so really a choice between A or C2 now

Back