Dashcam for use when you don't drive often

evlo

Reaction score
Country
Czech Republic
Hi,

I do not drive car that often, so dashcam does reset and recordings becomes a mess as time reset, because of that I'm looking for dashcam that would
- automatically get time from gps
- lock button on cam that saves even 30seconds or so back
- should have VOICE prompts about what is going on - recording started, issue with card etc.

- ideally wedge form factor or something like that - discreet
- ideally remote lock button

- ideally, but i know, must likely unreal - wifi client, not server

Should be in the price range of about 130eur or so

Last edited:
You might consider one that is easy to remove and then put it on a charger at home untill your next drive ( not recording ), that way it should keep the time i think.
How long cameras keep the time i cant recall anyone testing or mentioning, i think a week are reasonable to expect at least from good cameras in this regard.
Some do seem to be worse in this regard, so say getting a battery camera will not solve the issue i think, the time keeping are still maintained by a tiny button cell battery on the PCB, independent of battery or capacitors.

How the manual event button work are a bit different, some only have a short buffer so you have to be quick pressing that button, others like my street guardian cameras deal in video segments ( 3 minute video segments in my case )
So since i have a dual camera i get 2 X 3 minutes saved from each camera, so with a system setup like that you do not have to hurry pressing the button to get the actual event locked in a read only state.

many cameras have wifi today, just to do settings and maybe DL a file now and them, many files and it will be much faster to take the memory card to a computer and put it in a card reader ( often you get little USB card reader with dashcam )

no RTC battery you get about a week for a capacitor camera, several weeks on a battery camera, if it has an RTC cell it will keep a lot longer, depends on the spec, at least a month is typical, we rate ours for one month, in reality though they typically hold the time for around nine months before the RTC cell needs recharging

Interesting, si 70mai pro has rtc, because b40 resets time in a week after losing power, maybe sooner.

Back