Dashcam freezes

Manicpob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. My dashcam keeps freezing. The software is up to date and I cannot find any reason for this. I have deleted all the videos that is on it. What else can I do.

Try and power it up with no memory card in it, if that work and it ask for a memory card, that is probably what is bad.
Memory cards are often the weak link in a dashcam system, even if ii is the best brand / model you have.
If you have another memory card you could also try to throw that in the camera to see hoe it like that.

Which dashcam do you have? Plenty of the cheaper ones and even some better ones have this kind of reliability problem. As @kamkar suggested it is often a card problem.

Do a full overwrite of your card with the "sdformatter" freeware then do the same with the "h2testw" freeware. This may take some time with large cards and old or low-spec computers. If there's a fault with the card this usually finds it.

Phil

Hi. I have the Nextbase duo HD dash cam,1080 dashcam and have formatted the sd card several times. This problem started within the year of purchase (my first one was stolen so I had to buy another one) The screen freezes and even when I have switched off the engine and gone back into the car hours later the dashcam switches on with the frozen screen. I searched the web and could not find any other solution except buying a new SD card which I will do if I have to. How do I reformat the "h2testw" freeware, I couldn't find this option anywhere. Could you give me a guide to doing this. Attached is a pic of the cam that I have. Thanks for your help

1627404437651.png

I will highlight a nextbase official for you, so they see your post the next time they come online.

Here is to you @NextBase Support

the H2testsw is a software to test the integrity and speed of your memory card, it fill the card up with test files so it will need to be formatted or files deleted after the test.
No matter how it have been formatted on another devise, it must also be formatted in the camera with its build in format memory card routine ( select that in the menu if you can get in there )

Since you have been able to delete the files on the memory card then at least the card is not in read only mode, something cards can do to protect the data on it if the encounter a error, in general this read only node can not be reversed.

SD formatter is a little formatting tool from the standard organization for memory cards.
you can probably find videos on youtube about how both pieces of software are used.

There is a lot of fake memory cards out there, in general this is smaller cards that have been changed so they appear to be a larger drive, but they still only hold as much as the original card will take.
This could for instance be a 16 GB memory card that on the print on it and if asking for properties on it will say it is a 128Gb card or something, but it will only hold the original 16 GB of data.

A tool like H2testw will then cough out errors saying only 16 GB ( or something ) could be formatted out of the XXX GB the memory card fake to be.
As a older card is often used the tool will probably also report read / write speeds well / far below what is the norm for the card model it is faking to be.

Hi

I formatted the SD card on the dashcam itself and it is blank There are no error messages coming up on it. I did this last night and have not had the chance to go out and see if it has resolved itself. The disk is a genuine one. The Next base ones are so expensive so have kept with Sandisk one.

Of course if you are using the dashcam as a card reader, or maybe have a old slow card reader, then even if your card was fast and genuine, then the tools will report a slower read / write speed as the tool of course can not acess the card faster than the connection allow for.

In general dashcams used as card reader will only give you 15 MB/s transfer speeds, where the read speed of most modern memory cards is way up around 90 MB/s
Same go if you move files using a dashcams wifi ( if it have that ) their wifi chip are also very slow, so they will be far from the speeds you maybe see at home between your laptop and your home wifi router.

I have 1000 mbit on cable, but my phone or laptop can noit do much more than 400 mbit DL speeds if i run speedtest on those devises and my home wifi.

My dashcam is wired and worked when I got it. What SD card would you recommend I get as I don't know much about this or how it works.

Yes it is a problem with some brands that seem to go out of their way to promote their own line of memory cards, this can make memory card compatibility a problem.
As a tester i have a large suite of different brand / model memory cards to test with, i am almost sure many of them would not work too well with a nextbase camera. ( i have never tested a nextbase camera )

But the errors you describe seem to be more than just a incompatible memory card, but i cant say much but general stuff as i am not familiar with the brand, so i pinged them so they can take over

I think the Nextbase duo HD is a older model, dont seem to have its own subforum in the nextbase DPT

But in there would be a chance of figuring out what other memory cards the camera might like.

Oh Thank you. You seem to know a lot of technical stuff and I only know what I use. I wanted to get a good SD card but don't want to spend a fortune. I have seen this dash cam on Amazon and was tempted to buy it but wasn't sure if it was worth it and to persevere and find a solution as mine cost me £200.00

Nextbase 222x Front and Rear Dash Cam Full 1080p/30fps HD Recording in Car DVR Cam - 140° 6 lane Wide Viewing– Intelligent Parking Mode- Polarising Filter Compatible- G-Sensor Motion Detection- Hidden - £99.00​

Yes i have been around for a while, and helped a range of brands do testing of their products, but truth be told there is bigger geeks in here, i just consider myself a dedicated user.

Well you know more than I do. Have you seen the nextbase dash cam I mention in my previous message

Hi. I have the Nextbase duo HD dash cam,1080 dashcam and have formatted the sd card several times. This problem started within the year of purchase (my first one was stolen so I had to buy another one) The screen freezes and even when I have switched off the engine and gone back into the car hours later the dashcam switches on with the frozen screen. I searched the web and could not find any other solution except buying a new SD card which I will do if I have to. How do I reformat the "h2testw" freeware, I couldn't find this option anywhere. Could you give me a guide to doing this. Attached is a pic of the cam that I have. Thanks for your help

View attachment 57591
Hello,

Freezing is a symptom of an SD card failure.
SD cards only have limited lifespans. In our manuals we recommend formatting every 2-3 weeks to prolong the life of the card. Without this regular formatting, or if the card is non-compatible or damaged, the card could corrupt which would cause a failure of data writing.
Symptoms of SD card failure are: an audible 'alarm' tone, non-functional buttons, freezing, corrupted files on playback, image missing from files, lack of file recording etc.

What brand, size, model and class of SD card are you using please?
When and where was the SD card purchased please?
How often is the card usually formatted please?

Kind regards,
Millie
Nextbase Technical Support

Hello,

Freezing is a symptom of an SD card failure.
SD cards only have limited lifespans. In our manuals we recommend formatting every 2-3 weeks to prolong the life of the card. Without this regular formatting, or if the card is non-compatible or damaged, the card could corrupt which would cause a failure of data writing.
Symptoms of SD card failure are: an audible 'alarm' tone, non-functional buttons, freezing, corrupted files on playback, image missing from files, lack of file recording etc.

What brand, size, model and class of SD card are you using please?
When and where was the SD card purchased please?
How often is the card usually formatted please?

Kind regards,
Millie
Hello

I have reformatted the 32 GB SD card on a regular basis and checked for updates for the software. The freezing issue appears to be a programme issue from what I have read online. I use the sandisk SD card bought from a reputable store so I know that it works as it should.

Hello,

This is a common misconception. SanDisk SD cards are not suitable for use in a Nextbase Dash Camera as most do not hold a warranty or, for series two, do not meet the minimum write speed requirements.

SanDisk Ultra, Extreme, Extreme Pro and Max Endurance SD cards are not designed to be used inside Dash Cams and SanDisk actually void the Ultra, Extreme, Extreme pro and Max SD card's warranty if one is used inside a Dash Cam. If you believe otherwise to be the case please contact the manufacturer for confirmation:

'This warranty does not cover use of the Product in connection with the following uses or devices (as determined by SanDisk): (i) normal wear and tear, (ii) video monitoring, security, and surveillance devices, (iii) internet protocol/network cameras, (iv) in-car recording devices/dashboard cameras/black box cameras'

Kind regards,
Millie

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
152bobby Nextbase Other 3
AnthonyH Nextbase Other 1
Kremmen Nextbase Other 1
R Nextbase Other 19
Kremmen Nextbase Other 31
Back