Dashcam from a U.S. Freight Train during a very snowy winter night. [3:17]

Do they really need to sound their horns like that at night? I'd hate to live near train tracks.

I guess it's debatable whether they need to be quite so enthusiastic about it. I understand them wanting to give warning to anyone stuck on the tracks, but living within 2 miles of a busy set of tracks, I can tell you it's not easy to get a night of uninterrupted sleep with repeated 5 to 10 seconds of horns going off randomly in the middle of the night.

KuoH

Do they really need to sound their horns like that at night? I'd hate to live near train tracks.

Nice video, wouldent mind more of those.

Personally i cant lay off my horn either, but then Again my trains are only 1:20.3 scale ;)
But still loud enuff to make ppl stop in ther tracks and take notise when my 2-6-6-2 Baldwin loco pull uphill along the garden fence in my friends garden :D

When I lived in the states the guy next door was retired from the rail-road; I think I remember him telling me once they have to sound the horn for every intersection and in some built up areas. Seems there are a lot of rules and regs for driving a train, it is after all federally regulated. ;)

I can tell you it's not easy to get a night of uninterrupted sleep with repeated 5 to 10 seconds of horns going off randomly in the middle of the night.

You should wear ear plugs. Getting interrupted during sleep has negative effects on your health during the day. It all has to do with sleep quality and not sleep quantity.

When I lived in the states the guy next door was retired from the rail-road; I think I remember him telling me once they have to sound the horn for every intersection and in some built up areas.
I believe i herd this as well. They are required to blow the Train's horn X miles from every crossing and intersection unless it is a Quiet Zone and offers other measures of crossing safety.

Opposing engineer bails at the last second.
b3g0s7q.gif

An I will bet some prat said why did you not stop. I hit 3 cars driving trams at Blackpool they did not stop on a sixpence..

dpick1947

Back