Dashcam hardwire help

chexus

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

I'm trying to hardwire my dashcam with power magic pro for parking mode. Which fuses should I use? Currently I'm using the LH-IG one for the ACC and FR S/HTR LH for the battery.
When the car is on, I cannot switch the power magic pro off. However the power magic pro doesn't work when the car is off. What am I doing wrong?

Should I use a fuse tap for each fuse? My current set up; I just wrapped the wire around the fuse.
80-img_7591_893dac7e03936deaf2d1797a5b1c67f0045b0e2a.jpg

80-img_7591_893dac7e03936deaf2d1797a5b1c67f0045b0e2a.jpg

I would recommend you to use fuse tap for each fuse.
You can use "LH-IG", but check if "FR S/HTR LH" is a true always on fuse (check the fuse after the car has been parked for 40 minutes).

I powered my Power Magic Pro from my radio fuse and the brake. The switch only turns the PMP off / on while the car is not running. If the car is running the PMP is always on. With your setup.. it should be working so I would question (check for power with a multi meter) the connection to your fuse, wrapping a wire around a leg of the fuse seems kind of a poor mans approach and easily disconnected when pushing the fuse home.

Buy some fuse taps...they are cheap and you don't overload the original fuse. Also if you wrap the wire on the wrong side of the fuse you will have no protection for the PMP. Buy a cheap test light at any auto parts store and probe the fuses when the car is off, that is the only way to be sure you are getting a hot wire. Repeat with the car in ACC mode.

Ditto on the fuse taps- they're cheap and easy and give far less trouble. It has been said that a standard test-light should not be used on some new cars as the bulb may draw so much current that the computers and such may be damaged. I do know they make test-lights that are designed for newer cars so get one of those or a cheap meter instead just to be safe.

Phil

Back