Dashcam horisontal angle (mounting)

Monnier

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Hi,

I'm sorry if this have been asked since it can just be me bad at searching since english isn't my native language.

I've bought a Blackvue DR900S-2CH and I'm about to mount the camera.
My concern is mounting the camera on the windshield.

I'm afraid to risk mounting it at a small angle so that the picture/video will look strange.

How important is it to mount it at a perfect horizontal line?
Any suggestions how to do that?

Thanks in advance for looking at these basic question

//Mikael

Hold it in place by hand, check the image and adjust until it is correct, preferably using a large screen, eg tablet, mark the position by placing some masking tape on the glass, then remove the sticky pad plastic and stick the camera to the glass using the masking tape as a guide, remove the masking tape. If you have a suitable pen that will easily wipe off the glass then you can use a pen instead of tape.

It doesn't need to be very accurate, and if you don't always drive on flat ground it will not stay horizontal anyway! If you want it to be very accurate then you need to make sure you mount it while stopped on a road with typical camber - roads are never flat, they are angled to make the rain run off!

Hold it in place by hand, check the image and adjust until it is correct, preferably using a large screen, eg tablet, mark the position by placing some masking tape on the glass, then remove the sticky pad plastic and stick the camera to the glass using the masking tape as a guide, remove the masking tape. If you have a suitable pen that will easily wipe off the glass then you can use a pen instead of tape.

It doesn't need to be very accurate, and if you don't always drive on flat ground it will not stay horizontal anyway! If you want it to be very accurate then you need to make sure you mount it while stopped on a road with typical camber - roads are never flat, they are angled to make the rain run off!

Great tip. Thank you!

Welcome to DCT @Monnier :) I align my cams by eye; it will be close enough. If I want better I park across from a building with horizontal lines (like multiple floors) then eyeball across the cam to that. Same as with driving, unless you think about it the camber in a road is automatically compensated for by the brain unless it's rather pronounced camber and the same happens when viewing dashcam videos- you won't notice it ;)

Phil

Welcome to the forum.
As said you can power it on in the hand and then hold it up on the glass, and then see on the screen or phone APP how the view it in relation to horizontal and any dotted area or other things on the glass.
You should see the bottom of the A pillars and windscreen vents on the dash are good guidelines.
Personally i just eyeball it when i put cameras on my windscreen, and do so in relation to the top of the windscreen or the dotted grid pattern on top of my windscreen where i mostly mount cameras.
If the angle are a little off it don't bother me, the cameras are wide angle so i should not miss things, and it is noot footage i sit and watch for hours on end, in which case a crooked camera would be annoying.

Back