Dashcam install - not turning off...

hype

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey.

I've just installed my dashcam, with thanks to the advice on this forum. All has gone well, but it's not turning off when I power down the car. I've tapped a fuse in the boot of my car to power it. I chose the rear electric window fuse to run it from as I figured they only work when the ignition is on. So why does it continue to power the cam when the engine if off? The windows don't, just the cam.

Thanks in advance, and apologies if I'm being a dunce.

...I chose the rear electric window fuse to run it from as I figured they only work when the ignition is on. So why does it continue to power the cam when the engine if off? The windows don't, just the cam.....
Which camera?... and which car?... that may help with diagnosis.

Are you sure you tapped into the correct circuit?

Some vehicles have 'intelligence' where some circuits remain hot for some period of time after the ignition is turned off. This usually doesn't last for more than 10 or 20 minutes if that's the case. Have you checked to see how long the camera records after ignition off?

Hi. The cam is from Amazon - by Apeman (sounds weird I know, but actually it's great), and the car is a C-Class Mercedes (W204). The problem doesn't seem to be the cam - as soon as I pull the power cable it turns off straight away, but the power just doesn't cut unless I manually remove the wire.

And I've read about the "intelligence", bu I checked after 30 mins and it was still on. Can't understand why the electric windows have no power, but the cam does, when they're from the same fuse point.

I'd try another fuse but I'm really limited with options in the boot. Confused.

...Can't understand why the electric windows have no power, but the cam does, when they're from the same fuse point.....
It might be there is a relay in the PW circuit and it's disabled when the ignition is off but the primary power circuit is still live (just thinking out loud here). That would explain the windows not working but the camera does.

Good shout. There's a cigarette lighter fuse in the same box, hoping that will switch off with the ignition. Will try in the morning and let you know how it goes...

Cheers.

Back