Dashcam install on a live socket port Mazda3 2019

jajajm11

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi forum, first post here..

I got a dashcam for my Mazda3 2019 and then realized that the accessory socket port is always on, so even if I turn off the ignition, it will still power the dashcam. That is of course unacceptable.

I have been asking around for a potential solution for my Blackvue DR750S. Here are some:
  1. Manually plug and unplug the power cable from the port. Easiest to do but prone to error (may forget) and also repeated removals may damage the port?
  2. Hardwire the dashcam. However I don't know much about it and I am hesitant to do it because it's a new car.
  3. Get an extension cable that stays plugged in all the time and then attached the dashcam power cable to it. This prevents the port from being damaged but is still prone to me forgetting about it.
  4. Get a different dashcam that has a power-off button and then simply turn it off?
What should I do here? I am confused and I drive in a rough area and a dashcam is a must.

An ideal solution will be to hardwire it of course so I don't have to worry about it but I am hesitant doing it because I haven't done it before.

Thank you very much for your help.

Hardwire or battery pack is the way to go here. Your DR750S can used the Power Magic Pro (fusebox), Power Magic EZ (OBD port) or B-124 (battery pack and hardwired to fusebox). Any reputable car alarm, car audio or general car shop should be able to install a dash cam into your vehicle with relative ease. We have some general Mazda installation guides here as well:
and https://www.blackboxmycar.ca/blogs/news/mazda-mx-5-miata-nd-2-channel-dash-cam-install

As for your point #4 - same thing if you were to unplug the power cable to the dash cam. This is perfectly fine but it goes back to your point #1 and forgetfulness.

Hardwire or battery pack is the way to go here. Your DR750S can used the Power Magic Pro (fusebox), Power Magic EZ (OBD port) or B-124 (battery pack and hardwired to fusebox). Any reputable car alarm, car audio or general car shop should be able to install a dash cam into your vehicle with relative ease. We have some general Mazda installation guides here as well:
and https://www.blackboxmycar.ca/blogs/news/mazda-mx-5-miata-nd-2-channel-dash-cam-install

As for your point #4 - same thing if you were to unplug the power cable to the dash cam. This is perfectly fine but it goes back to your point #1 and forgetfulness.

Thanks for your reply! I keep on reading on how the it's difficult to hardwire the Mazda3 2019 without accessing the engine fuse box as compared to the internal fuse box (left side). Is that true? Or have I misread?

Just talked to our technician - 2019 Mazda 3 indeed no longer has an internal fusebox and is only available in the engine bay. This means the wiring would need to be spliced to existing ACC/BATT wires in the vehicle. More difficult but still a relatively simple job for a reputable car shop.

Just talked to our technician - 2019 Mazda 3 indeed no longer has an internal fusebox and is only available in the engine bay. This means the wiring would need to be spliced to existing ACC/BATT wires in the vehicle. More difficult but still a relatively simple job for a reputable car shop.

Thank you! Which kit should I order for that?

Back