Dashcam installation

DocHudson

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello folks,

I installed my dashcams just behind the rear view mirrors using 3M tape. It lasted for about 6 months without any hassles. Since I have to park my cars under the open sky and even after putting a sun screen behind the windshield, the car gets so hot that dashcams in both the cars fell one after the other. They just got detached from the 3M tape.

Now I am trying to figure out how do I install these dashcams so that I do not see them hanging or on the floor in future.

Anyone got ideas?
(FWIW, I live in NY and I have this issue, how those lining southern border or other equatorial folks install it?)

Many thanks in advance.

How much time did you give the 3M tape to bond without weight on (Just the mount w/ no dashcam hanging off it)? Are you using actual red 3M tape or generic?

I gave the tape 12 hours on a cold cloudy day and I haven't had any issues other than some bubbling on the tape.

Installing my old Lukas in my sisters car it just wouldent bond between tape and camera, tried 3 times with new tape every time.
So when it came off the #3 time i put a little cyano glue on the mount base before i pressed it back on the tape still on the windscreen.

After that it have stayed in place.

Same never happned in my own car, i damn near couldent get the Lukas camera off before i relocated it to my sisters car.

I used the tape Lukas provided and i used tape from SG camera, and offcourse i cleaned camera base before i put it on, last time i even sanded the camera base with wery fine grit paper normally used for wet sanding a car.

Cleaning the spot on your windshield where you're going to mount with some alcohol might help too.

When I installed it the first time, I gave one whole day for it to mature (if I can put it like that) and only then installed the camera. As I said, for almost 6-8 months, it held up pretty well. Only after the sun started shining, it started loosening up. I am using 3M tape that I got from The Home Depot.

Yesterday, I tried to remove the tape that was left on the windshield. Folks have suggested use of floss to remove the tape but that technique failed miserably. I just used good old kitchen knife to remove the tape. I must say that the tape consistency was pretty messed up. And this is 3M tape that we are talking about.

So now, this time, I cleaned the tape. Could not remove all of it but removed as much as I could. Cleaned the surface with rubbing alcohol and put the tape again. Lets see how long it lasts. I suspect the tape can not stand the heat and hence the issue.

@kamkar1 I don't want to use any glue as what if there is any issue with removing it? I am trading in one of the cars within a year. Although I may not get more than 3K for that, I sure don't want to lose further just because there is something on windshield, as obscure it may be.

Someone got to find better installation technique/idea.

I used the glue between the dualsided tape and the camera base, i had never had the dualsided tape let go of the windscreen, in my car its allways between tape and mount it let go, and there you can add glue without getting it on the car.

Back