Dashcam is power cycling after install in new car

clooner

Reaction score
Country
United States
Recently I bought a new car and decided to move the 12v to 3a 2x usb power and my dashcam an a118c to the new car. With the old car, I simply took the power from the mirror. With the new one, I tried to do exactly the same thing. That said, after hooking everything up it seems that in the new car the camera does not stay on. It turns on after a few seconds then turns off again. Then it repeats this turning on and off again and so on.

My multi meter gives a proper 12 volt from the wire. What could it be that it power cycles? Didn't I install something correctly, is it drawing too much amps? Which seems hard as the new mirror seems to have more functionality and higher gauge wire. The old mirror only had 10 volt and it worked there, the new one has 12 volt exactly.

Maybe a loose connection? The old car was very basic. The new one has canbus, could this be a thing?

I am a bit lost here and any suggestions are appreciated?

Still not sure why but I managed to get it working by tapping another power source. I am using the same ground... Still a bit confused by it would power cycle with the other power source?

Not sure either but it's apparent that you wont be able to 'tap in' at the mirror so time to find another approach.

Perhaps that wire also serves to transfer data to the computer? Thus when it "sees" the extra load of your cam something gets altered on the 12V side. Dunno really.

Phil

Maybe cam was drawing too much power, a lot of things are fed by BCM these days so protection circuits abound every where.

Back