Dashcam + laptop - app / browser?

jeez123

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Dash Cam
Blackvue DR650S-2CH
I was wondering, if i need to dl Blackvue software for Windows (Cloud-software) to access dashcam on laptop via the Blackvue-Wifi or is it possible to access the clips via some kind of webbrowser access on fx. 192.168.8.1:<port unknown> ?

Any advices?

The GitHub project was a massive success for me.

Only downside is the 802.11g-speed. With a 70MB (FULLHD) front-recording of 1 minute, it takes "forever" to download the entire 128GB-sd memory.

I read on a russian forum that the 650S' was able to do 802.11n-speeds, but i tried enabling the n-attribute in config.ini once, didn't see any differences in transfer-speeds.

Any advice on this as i'm not really willing to wait a period of 3hrs to get the files moved wirelessly. Could aswell just plug the sdcard into the lappie, but i'd prefer to avoid messing with card inserting and pulling if this could be improved by wireless transferering the data.

Blackvue doesn't support Windows 10, so it's either Phone, Pad or Cloud.

John

Win10? What...?

The following is a reply from Pittasoft from 2 years ago, when I asked them if there was a Windows 10 App

"Hello John,
Sorry , my bad.
Unfortunately, we used to have BlackVue app on windows store, but we do not support it anymore.
My apologies for the miscommunication and the trouble it may have caused.
Best Regards
Taqi
BlackVue Support Team"

My Comment, "Seems to be pretty clear - Android, IoS or Cloud, or revert back to Windows 7/8."

See the posts under "Viewers and Apps".

John

I'm not following what you try to say. I'm not even running any Win10-boxes.

I just needed to figure out a solution to wether or not it was possible to access the recordings "on-the-fly" via laptop, either some kind of GUI or command-line execution that could do the transfer of clips to harddrive.

I think i found the way, via the BlackVueDownloader GitHub-project. It needs some customization to my needs, but so far it does the job. The only downside is the low&slow transferspeed from the camera though 802.11n-able...

It looks promising. I can use a second NIC on a computer and connect it to an EnGenius AP specifically for the BlackVue. As long as I keep the BlackVue WiFi hot, I don't care if it takes 10 hours. It can run overnight. It might be possible to run a script or batch to start downloading at 11pm and, once completed, delete the files from the camera. I just couldn't find anything to tell me if the camera supports FTP.

...My Comment, "Seems to be pretty clear - Android, IoS or Cloud, or revert back to Windows 7/8."
The Windows Viewer App works perfectly fine in Windows 10.
It's not a UWP app, which explains the "Store" reference. The benefit of the iPad/Android apps is that you can set your device to direct-connect to the WiFi port on the camera for access. The Windows app doesn't work that way. That's a bit of a pity because there are now a lot of Windows tablets in circulation that could benefit from that sort of app/connectivity.

If, on the other hand, your camera is connecting to your own WiFi node and you set things up just right (it's a wee bit complicated, but doable), then you can download the video files. The BlackVueDownloader project is a fine example. I wrote my own (in .NET) that runs on a schedule every 30 minutes to suck down all new videos (assuming my vehicle is parked in the driveway & connected to WiFi). Not exactly a consumer-friendly approach, but at least it works.

Brad.

This script is amazing.
With the DR750, I don't even need to connect to it in Ad-Hoc mode. The camera is connecting to my wifi network via the access point in the garage for cloud services, and I just need to use the app to connect to it via its IP address with my computer still connected to my house wifi. No need for a second NIC for the computer.

Hello Gang,
I am working on a project for a friend/customer who owns a towing company. I am wondering if this will do what I want it to do. I would like to have a DR650/DR750, when connected to the business network, upload files to preferably an FTP server (Enabled in his Asus Router, using a USB Hard Drive). 2nd preference will be using a Qnap NAS (Not purchased yet) to do this. 3rd preference would be to leave one computer on to do this. This could involve 2 or 3 tow trucks uploading in the future.

Short answer, No. The Cloud stuff is really only capable of doing web-based viewing, and you could use the Viewer app to manually download some/all. But there are all kinds of limitations (and extra costs) associated with that approach that will make it an exercise in frustration.
It's *almost* feasible. I have custom software (that I wrote) that sucks all my camera content down via my local WiFi. But the camera doesn't automatically connect to my WiFi when I've been away for a while. It will eventually reconnect, but hours later. And then take more hours to download (slow WiFi, big files). My approach only works because the vehicle sits in my driveway overnight, with the firmware set to reboot the camera at 3AM (which forces a reconnect usually). I'd imagine in your scenario, you couldn't rely on that.

Short answer, No. The Cloud stuff is really only capable of doing web-based viewing, and you could use the Viewer app to manually download some/all. But there are all kinds of limitations (and extra costs) associated with that approach that will make it an exercise in frustration.
It's *almost* feasible. I have custom software (that I wrote) that sucks all my camera content down via my local WiFi. But the camera doesn't automatically connect to my WiFi when I've been away for a while. It will eventually reconnect, but hours later. And then take more hours to download (slow WiFi, big files). My approach only works because the vehicle sits in my driveway overnight, with the firmware set to reboot the camera at 3AM (which forces a reconnect usually). I'd imagine in your scenario, you couldn't rely on that.
Thank you for the quick reply. Yes, you are correct on that. At any particular time, a truck could be on a call. Also, at least one truck is taken home by one of the drivers at night. I am hoping that someone comes out with a solution for this in their firmware.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
GPSMapper DR650S 10
shimon10121 DR650S 15
shimon10121 DR650S 11
Back