Dashcam locking cover or password pretected files?

eyesburned

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Dash Cam
B40, Mini0801gps
Since I plan to buy dash camera for company car i am curious are there any models on market which has memory card protective locking mechanism or maybe password protecting option against deleting files?
please advice

there are some with physical locks, password protection even if offered won't stop you taking the card out and formatting it in a PC

There are some dashboard cams which have things like little screws holding the cover for SD card slot, but obviously the driver can easily remove these with simple tools in a couple of minutes. Password protecting files on the card itself is useless simply because driver can remove the card and either format it or (in an extreme case) just replace the card with a new one (same brand/model). The driver can also temporarily disconnect the power to the cam if he is about to do something illegal, like park in an illegal place, say a few "bad words" to a passenger or speed up the vehicle beyond the legal posted speed limit.

If you're really serious about protecting the camera from tampering - only thing you can do is order a custom metal box with a custom lock on it and let the car body shop mount it in a way that the driver cannot disconnect the camera's power plug anymore. Or you can order something like these: http://www.vivotek.com/md7560/
But these things need a dedicated DVR (which again, you should put in a lockable metal box, with no ability for a driver to disconnect the power source for it).

Totally OT but it looks like the Mini 0806 did take a few styling features from that SVC100GPS!

There really isn't a dashcam out there that you don't know about mate :)

Since I plan to buy dash camera for company car i am curious are there any models on market which has memory card protective locking mechanism or maybe password protecting option against deleting files?
Panorama X1 and you place the main unit in a safebox :p
1BZkQ3jfW4nYJo3R

Not too far from the truth. I seem to recall hearing that police cars have the video recorder in the trunk. Some shops and homes have a similar configuration to prevent someone from breaking in and then destroying the video evidence.

Back