Dashcam making screeching/crackling noises

FG21

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Thinkware F770
Hi - this is cross posted- and am hoping someone else might have experienced their dashcam doing this??

I went from the Thinkware f770 (worked well for 4 or 5 years!) to the u1000. The u1000 has started making screeching/crackling noises when the power is cut off to it.

1. Bought and started using in July 2021 in my new Ford Bronco. I just plug and unplug through the cig lighter/whatever it's called these days (as I did with the f770 in my old Ford). I leave it plugged in when parked running errands but unplug at home and work.
2. In June 2022 started making screeching/crackling noises when I unplugged it at home and work, etc. Also any time the power stopped (my Bronco cuts power after about 30 minutes or so of parking/turned off).
3. A few weeks ago the sd card would not format/kept error-ing so I bought a new Thinkware sd card thinking it must be the issue. Worked for a few weeks now I am back to screeching and crackling.
4. Now the rear camera has started not connecting- it goes in and out.
5. This morning it just started making screeching/crackling noises non-stop.

I am not sure what to do. Maybe just go back to the f770 that still works? Has anyone else had this issue?

@Thinkware Dash Cam
Hi - this is cross posted- and am hoping someone else might have experienced their dashcam doing this??

I went from the Thinkware f770 (worked well for 4 or 5 years!) to the u1000. The u1000 has started making screeching/crackling noises when the power is cut off to it.

1. Bought and started using in July 2021 in my new Ford Bronco. I just plug and unplug through the cig lighter/whatever it's called these days (as I did with the f770 in my old Ford). I leave it plugged in when parked running errands but unplug at home and work.
2. In June 2022 started making screeching/crackling noises when I unplugged it at home and work, etc. Also any time the power stopped (my Bronco cuts power after about 30 minutes or so of parking/turned off).
3. A few weeks ago the sd card would not format/kept error-ing so I bought a new Thinkware sd card thinking it must be the issue. Worked for a few weeks now I am back to screeching and crackling.
4. Now the rear camera has started not connecting- it goes in and out.
5. This morning it just started making screeching/crackling noises non-stop.

I am not sure what to do. Maybe just go back to the f770 that still works? Has anyone else had this issue?
@Thinkware Dash Cam

You may get a reply from Thinkware on this problem.

Are you able to upload the sound? Is it in the recording on the dash cam or do you find that the noise is while the dashcam is turning off?
I'm wondering if it could be the speaker generating the noise.

Checking back in :) It is just when the dashcam is turning off.

I got the new card and it is still making the screeching noises when it turns off. No issues with recording or sound on the videos.

Haha yeah something fishy there, but i dont think it is something major, maybe a bug in the firmware

LateralNW tagged in Thinkware on this, so they should get notified when they come on here.

Have you updated firmware lately / did it start after something like that ?
Have you tried to reset the hardware ?? most have a tiny hole where in you can press a switch to reset the hardware.

@FG21 Did you every get a solution to this problem?

sirdutchboy thanks for posting the video.

I can't begin to think what would cause that sounds.
Sound like some sort of torture the dashcam is experiencing lol The pain of being disconnected o_O
as @kamkar said perhaps it is in the firmware.
I'm surprised that Thinkware never came to the conversation, I'm not SURE if they are active on this site.

Last edited:
O man just noticed this is a year old, well it seem like Thinkware have forsaken us / you, so i would take the official route thru their support system.
Too bad i much prefer a nice open talk in here, it help "gun" shy people like me figuring out what brands to take a chance on.

Guys, are you sure you have installed the Thinkware Dash Cam correctly?

The dashcam must be permanently powered by the car battery.

When you turn off the car, the dashcam must still have power.

If your installer connected the dashcam's power cables incorrectly, i.e. not always powered on, the dashcam will make those screeching sounds.

To check if your dashcam is permanently powered, you can use a tester to check if the voltage is available even when the car is off.

If the power supply to the dashcam is not permanently connected then you must go back to your installer (electrician) and ask him to connect your Dashcam in a point where it is always powered.

In this way you can also successfully activate the parking mode and if you use the radar (purchasable as an accessory), the dashcam will only start recording if someone passes in front of the windshield and therefore you will save battery.

Okay?

Back