Dashcam mount on rain detector cover

DashcamNiro

Reaction score
Country
France
Hi,

I recently bought a Viofo A129 Pro Duo and would like to know if it is possible to place the front camera on the rain detector plastic cover of my Kia Niro HEV (installation in yellow circle):
IMG_20200902_141137.jpg
This would allow me to place the dashcam in the middle of the car but I am wondering if the rain detector plastic cover will be damaged when removing the sticky pad (for instance when selling the car).
Any experience with this or any suggestion of a more suitable installation area?

Thanks for your help :)

I've been installing my cameras on the sensor cover in 4 different vehicles so far with no problems. The one thing to be mindful of is some cars have light sensors on the front of the rear view mirror (for auto dimming mirrors) - make sure the camera won't be blocking those if they're present.

Make sure you clean the plastic well with some sort of solvent, otherwise it may not stick properly. At least detergent, but something more suitable for preparing for paint would be better.

It may not be easy to get back off again, probably OK, definitely won't do any damage.

What about the angle? I even asked the Viofo customer service for a wedge shape mount. I can regarding this request as a harassment to customer service :ROFLMAO:
Mount.jpg

What about the angle?...
Of the 4 vehicles I mounted the camera on the sensor cover I only had an alignment issue with one - and that one the sensor was designed that it angled upward towards the front. It was easy enough to fashion a wedge using material around the house to place between the sensor cover and the camera mount. The other 3 vehicles there was more than enough lens adjustment using the supplied mounts without having to do anything special.

What about the angle? I even asked the Viofo customer service for a wedge shape mount. I can regarding this request as a harassment to customer service :ROFLMAO:
View attachment 53209

The subject of wedges for dash cams comes up from time to time. You can purchase suitable wedges at your local hardware store or fabricate your own. The mini-806 and mini 906 cameras come with a set of 3 wedges for fine lateral adjustments. Generally speaking you only need a few degrees of angle change for a dash cam in most installations.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...-dashcam-for-your-car-doors.12675/post-514381

Of the 4 vehicles I mounted the camera on the sensor cover I only had an alignment issue with one - and that one the sensor was designed that it angled upward towards the front. It was easy enough to fashion a wedge using material around the house to place between the sensor cover and the camera mount. The other 3 vehicles there was more than enough lens adjustment using the supplied mounts without having to do anything special.
The subject of wedges for dash cams comes up from time to time. You can purchase suitable wedges at your local hardware store or fabricate your own. The mini-806 and mini 906 cameras come with a set of 3 wedges for fine lateral adjustments. Generally speaking you only need a few degrees of angle change for a dash cam in most installations.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...-dashcam-for-your-car-doors.12675/post-514381
Sorry I forget to emphasized that I personal has no issue with the wedge. Just want to share the experience that I used to be ackward and creepy when seeking the solution. And from time to time dissucision theards I finally find a lot of solutions, DIY geekers and interseting knowledge. Now my 3D model was sent out to a 3D print contractor, just waiting for the quote. Back to the OP situlation, I saw his sensor houing may too inclined, pretty like what I have, and want to mentain the issue I met, that's it.

The Viofo A129 Pro Duo can adjust all the way down to 0 degrees (flat), so there is not going to be any need for a wedge based on the image above!

The Viofo A129 Pro Duo can adjust all the way down to 0 degrees (flat), so there is not going to be any need for a wedge based on the image above!
Lesson learned. Thanks. I can leave the image as a pubilc execution. Then I can put 129+ into wishlist. Just waiting for it full marketing and some more review.

Thanks all for your answers. I will put the camera on the sensor cover after cleaning the area. I don't think there's any light sensor on the rear view mirror but I'll definetely check.
Hadn't thought about that but I'll have to try and hide the cables as they'll be running up from the middle of the windshield instead of the top. Hope it won't be too messy.

As for the angle there will be no problem. Like @Nigel said the Viofo A129 Pro Duo front camera has a great angle range (roughly between 0° and 90°), and the Niro sensor cover is almost horizontal:
2019-Niro-int1_o.jpg

First post picture is facing upward (see the rear view mirror), that can be confusing :)

As for the angle there will be no problem. Like @Nigel said the Viofo A129 Pro Duo front camera has a great angle range (roughly between 0° and 90°), and the Niro sensor cover is almost horizontal.

Keep in mind that an adjustment range of "between 0° and 90°" means that the camera can be mounted on vertical glass and adjusted downwards to the proper FOV angle. If, on the other hand, you want to mount the camera on a nearly horizontal surface (akin to a ceiling mount) you likely will not have enough adjustment available to achieve the required angle. You may well need a wedge to get the angle you need.

viofo.jpg

Last edited:
Keep in mind that an adjustment range of "between 0° and 90°" means that the camera can be mounted on vertical glass and adjusted downwards to the proper FOV angle. If, on the other hand, you want to mount the camera on a nearly horizontal surface (akin to a ceiling mount) you likely will not have enough adjustment available to achieve the required angle. You may well need a wedge to get the angle you need.

View attachment 53216
That was the issue I ran into one one of my vehicles. The underside of the housing was actually slanted up a few degrees from horizontal making it impossible to adjust the lens low enough. Only happened in 1 of 4 vehicles.

That was the issue I ran into one one of my vehicles. The underside of the housing was actually slanted up a few degrees from horizontal making it impossible to adjust the lens low enough. Only happened in 1 of 4 vehicles.

I too had a similar experience but with a rear facing wedge style camera installation. Wedges were the solution. I went one step further and epoxy glued a two inch square of custom cut 1/4 inch thick plate glass to the wedge mount I created so that the supplied 3M VHB taped mounting plate that came with the camera could be properly attached as if it were being mounted on a typical glass windshield. This turned out to be a great solution.

Back