Dashcam needed for hot climate (and why not to use a GoPro)

Beach Tech

Reaction score
Country
United States
I live in an area of Southern California that can get hot during the summer. I have highly-accurate digital thermometer in the car that displays HHH when the temp is over 122F. During the summer, I routinely get in the car and see the HHH on the display. Outside temps often exceed 100F.

Not thinking of this, I mounted my GoPro Hero2 to the inside of the windshield behind the rearview mirror. It worked pretty good for a while. Then I notice the battery for the camera and for the wifi backpack began swelling. It eventually ruined the wireless backpack and broke the USB on the camera itself. Oh well, I definitely got my money out of it using it for action sports.

I see the G1W-C with it's capacitors was designed for hot weather. Would this be a good choice? Also, where can I purchase a legit G1W-C with the NT96650 processor and the Aptina AR0330? I see SO MANY reviews of counterfeit units on Amazon.

Thanks!!!

Your car becomes an oven in just minutes due to the green house effect of the glass parked in direct sun. (see image)

Premium dashcam products use a super-capacitor that can eat the heat. For example, the High quality internal components of the Panorama series DashCams allow you to record video in a "Parking Mode" motion detection state in temperatures up to 90C/194F!

DashCam products are designed for 24/7 operation. An action camera (GoPro) is not designed to be used that way as you found out the hard way. There is no need to have a giant battery when a dashcam is powered via your car. If you want parking mode you add one of these:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/link-forums/battery-discharge-prevention.47/

Check out the new Street Guardian SG9665GC. If you want pre-buffered motion detection parking mode check out the Street Guardian SGZC12SG

uy7fp3P.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Back