Dashcam on home network

SandLake

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Starting to think about replacing my dashcam and the WiFi option is something I find interesting, is it possible for the cam to automatically connect to my home wifi and using some sort of timer or trigger mechanism, upload the video files onto my computer/server - possibly even deleting the files from the cam after successful upload?

This is what many like, but that's not a viable feature yet, actually it seem like many dashcams with the wifi option disappoint their owners.
For now wifi cameras should only be thought off as a means of doing setup, and if needed DL of a single file now and then as transfer speeds are really slow.

Besides you dont want to save all your footage if you are a normal person driving your own car, the interesting bits say if you drive 3 hours every day should be no more than 3 minutes with a little before and after the event footage.
All the footage you record where nothing happen, well its really just digital garbage so no need to horde it.

People also tend to forget the wifi of the dashcams are not that strong, so you have to park pretty close to your home network to get on it.
I park in the back yard behind the apartment block, my router are in the living room facing the street, so in my car i can barely see my own wifi up there 20 M away in my 2 floor apartment.
Of course i could go the wifi extender route and fix that, so i could see my wifi in the car, but i am not sure if the weak wifi of a camera could punch thru the other way.

I hear what you are saying, the setup via wifi is also an interesting option and to take that further I find the size and location of my (Mini 0906) dashcam very fiddly to operate - thankfully not much operation is required.

I park my car in an integrated garage and it is very close to my router so for me distance is not an issue. I am intrigued when you say 'weak wifi', I would have thought they would be 802.11N, maybe G or better at AC but all those standards should be up to the task.

Thanks for the response.

which standard they use varies a bit, they are generally pretty low range though through design limitation, that aside transferring multiple gigabytes of data is impractical to do on a regular basis, camera would need to remain powered for hours to do it

Even with my non-wifi Mini 0906 I had been thinking about options to transfer files from the dashcam and I discovered a product called 'RAVPower Filehub Plus' - I think it has the ability to create a network that I can then connect to my home network and turn the dashcam into a mountable drive and it even has a battery to power the dashcam overnight for example to perform the file transfers.

The Mini 0906 is I think unusual in that it has 2 power/data connectors, the one in the GPS unit (which also powers the camera) and the one in the camera itself. As mine is hardwired I only use the GPS unit connection but the camera connection is left free and could be used with this RAVPower unit

It is mostly a software issue. Most Wi-Fi cameras already have hardware that is capable of functioning as a client (especially Ambarella based)
I briefly experimented with this with JooVoo X.

I use to have the RAVPower file hub to transfer videos from my SDcards to my mobile devices. my experience is that it is waaaaaay too slow to transfer gigs of video over it's WiFI. it's cheaper and faster to pop out the card and plug it into your mobile device or PC.

Back