DashCam On with Ignition , BUT also Constantly on with a Switch.

nettraptor

Reaction score
Country
Greece
Hi guys ,

I want to be able to make my camera work when the ignition is ON
and with a swich to power it constantly for parking mode purposes.

should my circuit work?

Attachments

• 18-12-2018 1-04-23 μμ.png
    18-12-2018 1-04-23 μμ.png
    170 KB · Views: 48
or propably something like that

Attachments

178.3 KB · Views: 35
So you want it on constantly then? Does this camera have a parking mode feature?

actually i want both ,

key on > camera recording
key off > camera stop recording and shut down

When i need parking mode

with a ON off ON switch i send constant 12v voltage into the camera.

I think the single pole double throw switch you pictured should work fine for your application. You could accomplish the same by using just a single throw (on/off) switch, you would just have to turn it on and off every time. Lless wiring to mess with.

A single pole switch isn't a good idea. With the cam on the output of an ACC circuit, feeding power into the cam from another source with the car swirched off would also back-feed that circuit. With a DPST switch, when you power from the full-time source, the ACC circuit which normally feeds the cam is isolated. Switching theopposite way isolates the full-time source and connects the ACC circuit. Done forget to fuse both sources ;)

Phil

Yea ofcourse , i ve made a small 3d printed switch case , i ll post some pics when i finish

Sawmaster is not a single pole switch .
Basically is a
SPDT On-Off-On
Only one of the loads can be energized at a time.
but with my aproache the energy goes to the middle pin

look again the circuit and the Switch

Attachments

• 19-12-2018 11-33-01 πμ.png
    19-12-2018 11-33-01 πμ.png
    48.6 KB · Views: 31
    214.5 KB · Views: 34
Either approach would work. With the diodes on the regular on off switch you should get any back feed issues. Less wiring, easier install. You even have the anode/cathode the correct direction.

I had mine set up this way for a while.

I used a SPDT switch. That type of switch has a center lead and 2 positions. In one position the center is connected to the left lead, and in the other position it's connected to the right lead. You just have to put your ACC power into left, and BATT power into right, and you can choose which source gets sent to the camera. There's no center position, so the switchover is fast enough that the camera keeps working as long as the 5V converter or camera can handle the very short power dip

Don't use a switch type that will connect both ACC and BATT at once, because you'd be effectively combining 2 circuits and who knows what bad things could happen

Just to be clear, on the picture below it's 1-Battery 2-output to camera 3-ACC
Then the - line from the camera goes to ground

Attachments

• spdt-on-on jpg.jpg
    spdt-on-on jpg.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited by a moderator:
Back