Dashcam Power Pack - Alternatives to BlackVue Power Magic Battery?

MarkA67

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New here as looking for some advice with powering my dash cam. I was planning to hard wire it so I can take advantage of parking mode but I can't find any sort of easy to get at permanent live in my car (even the battery isn't easy to get at as its under loads of plastic covers and ECUs!) - I noticed that BlackVue do something called a "Power Magic Battery" which charges up as you drive and then can provide upto 12 hours of power to your dash cam for parking mode. Does anyone know of any other products similar to the BlackVue? (Yes, by "any other products" I mean cheaper :ROFLMAO:) - I have tried power banks and although they will provide the power, they won't provide power AND recharge their own internal battery at the same time. So does anyone know of some sort of power bank that can be charged via the 12v socket in my car AND provide power to the dash cam at the same time whilst driving?

However if there is no alternative, can someone who maybe has the BlackVue Power Magic Battery clarify if that is up to 12 hours of constant recording or up to 12 hours of standby ready to record

use the search... plenty of topics on this. I put together a power switching device that switches from the cars power to a USB Power Bank when the car is turned off.

Yes, I've already looked at these posts but many of them don't mention any make or model of power banks. A lot of them also don't mention if they will power the dash cam and charge the battery at the same time

As far as I know there are no power banks that charge and output power at the same time, do not confuse pass through or priority charging for this feature. Those only pass through the power to the dash cam. If you do get a power bank you will need to get a USB C with a PD (power delivery port), minimum 30w, otherwise it will not charge fast enough. The other issue is parking mode, I have not tested yet to see if parking mode will work with certain dash cams when powered off of a power bank. The device I made works good for switching power from car power to power bank power when the car is switched off. I was thinking of making a few and selling them, but seems no one is interested ‍♂️. There is lots more info about this topic, talked about lots. You can search my username or look at my posts if you want to see the power switching device I made.

Back