Dashcam questions

cupcake

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to know if dashcams can record when the car is parked without sensing motion. If they do need to sense motion to record - how near to the car does a person have to be for it to start recording. Is there anway to tell by looking into a car if it has been wired to the fusebox so that it will record continuously when parked without needing motion.

Depends on the dashcam, I have one that uses a radar detector and will start recording if anyone gets within 10 meters, even if it is pitch dark, I have another that is always recording, and another that needs to feel an impact on the car using it's g-sensor before it will start. No you can't tell by looking in the windows, unless it is one of the ones that advertises that it is recording by flashing LEDs, and my radar one has an option to turn the flashing LED on/off, so even that does not give certainty.

Hi. I have a new Garmin Dashcam 55. I put a chip in that I had in a Swann before. After 3 weeks I got a "your chip is deteriorating message. I bought a recommended chip. After 2 days I got the same message. So I went on Garmin's help site an all they wanted was $$$ before they would help. Anyone got any idea of what's going on. I'm not a sophisticated user...but I'm not an idiot either! LOL...Thanks for any help.

I would like to know if dashcams can record when the car is parked without sensing motion. If they do need to sense motion to record - how near to the car does a person have to be for it to start recording. Is there anway to tell by looking into a car if it has been wired to the fusebox so that it will record continuously when parked without needing motion.
I just joined this forum to ask about my Garmin Dashcam 55...which, by the way, has a parked option, for extra $

If Garmins website was asking you for money to help you, you were on a scam website, not Garmins. Garmin scam websites are common because old people use the navigators still and are easy to trick into stuff like that.

Depends on the dashcam, I have one that uses a radar detector and will start recording if anyone gets within 10 meters, even if it is pitch dark, I have another that is always recording, and another that needs to feel an impact on the car using it's g-sensor before it will start. No you can't tell by looking in the windows, unless it is one of the ones that advertises that it is recording by flashing LEDs, and my radar one has an option to turn the flashing LED on/off, so even that does not give certainty.
The reason I wish to know about dashcams recording capability when parked is because I am concerned that a neighbour is using his as cctv. If I send you a picture of the dashcam in situ, would you be able to estimate what its capability is?

If the camera can be identified you may be able to know what it is capable of, if you take a picture of it though are you then doing exactly what it is that you're concerned about in the first place?

If the camera can be identified you may be able to know what it is capable of, if you take a picture of it though are you then doing exactly what it is that you're concerned about in the first place?

Last edited:
Can't really make out what it is from that picture, it looks like it's something cheap though, if it was running you would likely find it has some sort of flashing LED light to show it's working, might be easier to see that at night rather than during the day

Yes, I see what you mean, but if he is using his dashcam as cctv then he will need reporting to the police. I have attached a photo of the dashcam.
It is not illegal to have a CCTV system, it is only of interest to the police if he is recording something where there is a reasonable expectation of privacy, something that can't be seen from a public location.

That camera appears to only be looking forward, and being a dashcam will have a very wide field of view so will only be able to record people's movements, it will not record any real detail.

Also appears to be plugged into the accessory socket by a dangly cable which may be of more interest to the police as a safety issue, but which means it is probably unpowered when not driving. As jokiin suggests, it probably has an LED on the front which you would see at night if it is powered.

You probably have nothing to worry about, and even if it is recording would probably only be of interest to the police if it had recorded something where there was a reasonable expectation of privacy, and the recording has been published - a recording of the inside of your bedroom published on Youtube would qualify, but unless the car is parked facing your bedroom window and your bedroom is on the ground floor then it is not capable of that, and even then people would only appear as a few fuzzy pixels and unidentifiable.

Of course it might be in disguise and actually be a broadcast quality spy camera with a long lens broadcasting detailed live video of your bedroom directly to Youtube! If it is really bothering you then I suggest you ask the owner about it, and maybe he/she will park the car the other way around for you.

If Garmins website was asking you for money to help you, you were on a scam website, not Garmins. Garmin scam websites are common because old people use the navigators still and are easy to trick into stuff like that.
Put the correct chip in and its working fine now.

Back