Dashcam recording freezes (and some other issues) - Freezing Issue Solved (Replaced the SD card)

SGM26

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
512GW + Rear Camera
I've had my 512GW for almost a year now and it's been great (despite some minor quirks) however for the last month or so it has had some serious issues.

In no particular order:

• Recording will freeze at certain points before starting to record again. Various lengths of video ranging from a couple of seconds to several minutes (but never the full 3 minutes it should be). Missing 10 or 20 seconds between some videos when it freezes.
• Slow navigating menus - occasionally it takes a few seconds from me pressing a button to it registering on the camera (sometimes with an acknowledge beep, sometimes without). I'll try and get a video of this happening.
• The camera will randomly lock up - I need to press the reset button to fix it. This sometimes happens if I spam buttons whilst it is still trying to process the first button press.
• Slow to turn off either when holding the power button or when the automatic shutoff kicks in.
• Slow to turn on - the screen will turn on, the Nextbase logo appears, video feed will show but there is no HUD until a few moments later.
SOLVED WITH NEW SD CARD

• Low battery when I start the car when parking mode is turned on. It seems to turn on and start recording when nothing has happened several times a night (or whilst at work). I've often noticed that loud noises (such as someone closing their door or a HGV driving past) will set it off. It seems to be far too sensitive. Often it will only record a few seconds before shutting off as the battery is so low. I have since turned off parking mode to try and save the battery.

Regarding the recording freezes, I'm not sure if it is related to upgrading to a 128Gb SanDisk SD card a few months ago. I bought it on Amazon from the official SanDisk seller (link - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B073S8TQH6). It's a class 10 speed U1 and it appears to be legitimate. When I first started using the new card (a few months ago) it was working perfect. Filled it up at least twice since purchase (formatting in between) and has been fine until recently.

Firmware is the latest version (22.5) and I have it hardwired to a switched live fuse (cigarette lighter).

Update: Recording issues solved with a new SD card. Other issues are still ongoing.

Last edited:
Been a few days now and freezes seem to be less frequent but still fairly regular.

I regret updating the firmware so soon and it doesn't seem like there's anywhere to download previous versions. :(

Last edited:
Never update firmware unless it addresses a problem that you have.
Ah, no change list to work to though.

You can go back to previous firmware versions. See if Tiffany has an older version for your testing.

You can backdate if you like, but what you're describing hasn't been a wide spread issue.

Can you get in touch with out support@nextbase.co.uk email so that we can get this resolved for you?

Thanks for the reply.

I'd be willing to try anything to be honest, just want it working again.

Would've tested using another SD card but I don't have access to one at the moment.

I've sent an email.

I've managed to get hold of another 32Gb SanDisk SD card (also class 10, U1) and it is recording perfectly including dual files.

I don't believe the 128Gb card is a fake (bought from the official SanDisk merchant on Amazon, came in all the proper packaging, etc) but it seems to be the cause of the majority of the problems described above (no recording freezes, no delay in the menu etc).

Is there anything that would cause it to be incompatible? I know 128Gb is the maximum capacity for the 512GW so didn't think that would be an issue.

Looks like I'll need to get another card (just borrowing the 32Gb), can anyone recommend a known working 64Gb or 128Gb card? Is it worth getting a higher speed card like a class 10 U3?

Thanks.

I bought a 128Gb Samsung card and it's been 100% reliable on both my 412 and my 380, never missed a beat.

To be doubly sure I got it from a proper Samsung outlet I used Scan.co.uk

eFefBnM.jpg

If you want to test your current card then give the tools here a shot:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/eyqtd1xpt6w4qdv/AADM38KrmrgckTkGP8pJgSW7a?dl=0 (Also covered here: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/fake-sdcards.36509/ )

But you will need a USB3 PC port and SDCard adapter.

Thanks for the reply, Kremmen. Just ordered one myself! :D

Fingers crossed it works.

I hope so to. There have been a number of SDcard issues of late.

Personally I would never buy from Amazon Marketplace or Ebay because they appear to be flooded with fakes.

I doubt it's the sd card. I've used a Samsung 128gb, Intergral high endurance 64gb and a Nextbase 32gb sent to me be tech support.

I can pinpoint the failure for me. The change over from virtually flat battery to the cars 12v supply.

With parking mode on and recording triggered, turn off the dashcam then start the car. This is the workaround for me.

Back